Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS  (Read 15663 times)

Mc

Re: Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 11:16:32 am »

Thank you all for taking the time to measure your tripods! I really appreciate it.

I will open a new thread for the GT5541LS since no one in this thread seems to have this exact version.

curtphoto: I believe you meant to post in another thread... the one about "glue".

thanks again for your help.

Enchanter

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 04:11:15 am »

Regarding the OP's question. I too find it hard to understand why you have a problem with the legs or a leg folding under the base. I own a 3530LS and although the legs occasionally might cross over when carrying it, it's certainly not an issue that I find even remotely annoying as you can uncross the legs in a matter of seconds. There are a lot more annoying things in this world than such a trivial (to me anyway) issue as a couple of tripod legs crossing over each other. It's not like fishing line tangling up.

Installing a centre column on a systemic tripod will detract from it's ultimate stability and doesn't make sense unless you absolutely need extra height.

Wellington, New Zealand

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 08:22:49 am »

the centre column is rarely about the extra height, but rather for finetunig the height.
Fully pushed in there is hardly any difference in stability to having no centre column. if you work with distances close to infinity, 10 cm height change don't do a lot, but at closer distance they do. but then, at infinity and with long lenses, tiny movements of the camera have a bigger impact than with short working distances.
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 12:09:35 pm »

Regarding the OP's question. I too find it hard to understand why you have a problem with the legs or a leg folding under the base. I own a 3530LS and although the legs occasionally might cross over when carrying it, it's certainly not an issue that I find even remotely annoying as you can uncross the legs in a matter of seconds. There are a lot more annoying things in this world than such a trivial (to me anyway) issue as a couple of tripod legs crossing over each other. It's not like fishing line tangling up.

That's what I tried to understand as well - but we all have our pet peeves which are often hard for others to appreciate :)

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 11:57:18 am »

Phew, 3 pages already...
However it's always good to have an additional reason not to buy an overpriced Gitzo tripod.
Roy

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2011, 10:43:47 am »

When you close your tripod properly, just wrap the legs with a length of velcro.  This will keep them from moving and getting tangled.  End of problem!  Not ideal, but it would end the problem as it is something that really bothers you.

David Luery

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 05:47:16 pm »

Has anyone resolved the problem with Gitzo's tripods where the legs fold under the head getting tangled?

I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned that the ability of the legs to 'fold' under the spider of the 3541LS can be useful and may be an intended feature of the tripod.   Try doing it (fold one leg under the spider with the other two extended normally) and you will see that you are able to angle the spider (and hence the head) at extreme angles, which can be useful in certain situations, or so I'm told (though personally I have never had the need).  In any event, I carry the tripod as you do, and haven't had any problems with the legs.

Best,

David

Graham Welland

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2011, 02:53:28 am »

I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned that the ability of the legs to 'fold' under the spider of the 3541LS can be useful and may be an intended feature of the tripod. 

Actually, it IS an intended feature of the tripod just as you describe. With respect to the legs crossing over, you can adjust the tension of the legs to make this harder to do. Each tripod comes with the necessary hex/star key to do this.
Graham
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up