Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS  (Read 15664 times)

Rufous03

Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS
« on: April 04, 2011, 01:36:08 pm »

Has anyone resolved the problem with Gitzo's tripods where the legs fold under the head getting tangled?  My old Manfrotto had stops that would not allow the legs to cross under the head.  Gitzo seems to be ingnoring my requests for a resolve.  Considering what they charge for their product, one would have thought their engineers would have thought of this before producing the product.  This mostly comes into play when walking with the camera mounted and legs extended.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: Gitzo CF Tripod GT3541LS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 01:40:29 pm »

What do you mean? I just open the legs, they don't get tangled even though they fold underneath the center column/head.

Rufous03

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:14:15 pm »

If the legs are extended they tend to tangle at the ends, that does not happen with the Manfrottos I have.  It makes it difficult to set up in a hurry, others I have spoken to have similar complaints, but have decided to live with it.  I find it annoying and kick myself for not checking before I bought it, then again no one had stock for me to check with!

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:45:50 pm »

I have the 3541XLS and I think I never got my legs entangled. could you elaborate a bit further at what you mean?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Rufous03

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:33 pm »

As stated above when carrying the tripod with camera and lens and legs fully extended, the legs get hooked on each other because they are able to swing under the center point of the head.  That is about the only way I can explain it.  On talking with other photographers using the same tripod, they all have the same complaint.  The legs of a Manfrotto stay straight and do not move under the center point, hence they do not get hooked on each other.

feppe

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »

I still don't see the problem and it sounds like a non-issue; just open them up when that happens. The leg locks on modern Gitzos don't have latches or other protrusions, so they don't catch anywhere.

Rufous03

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:04:46 pm »

Thanks for your thoughts, but I find it annoying.  Perhaps it is the different way we approach our subjects.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:09 am »

do you use a centre column?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Rufous03

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:14 am »

no, as far as I know there is no center column available for this tripod.  It would defeat the purpose of the sturdy camera mount

archivue

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:03 am »

it's a systematic 3... there's plenty of columns available for it...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=402&N=4289938225+4291428784

archivue

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:48:03 am »

for example :
This Gitzo GS3310GS Compact Aluminum Geared Center Column is for use with the Series 3 aluminum tripods in the Systematic line. Since these tripods accept interchangeable center columns, this compact column can be used to take full advantage of the variable leg spread on these units, so that you are not inhibited by the length of the column as to how low you can go.

The geared control of this column allows for even finer height adjustment and with its anti-rollback mechanism, it is more secure during raising and lowering of heavy photographic equipment.

Rufous03

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:19:59 pm »

Thank you for the information, however this is a Carbon Fiber tripod, not aluminum.  I checked it out anyway, and I do not think it will fit or resolve the problem.

feppe

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »

Thanks for your thoughts, but I find it annoying.  Perhaps it is the different way we approach our subjects.

How is subject approach even relevant in this context? I'm really struggling to see how this is an issue, or even an annoyance.

I took off the center column from my S, but I think it might help with this "issue."

Rufous03

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 01:33:12 pm »

I think you are talking about a different tripod, there is no center column on this unit.  Being able to deploy the legs without trying to pull one leg out from under the head in a rush is annoying, you have to experience it in sub zero temperatures to appreciate it., Much faster to set up my old Manfrotto.  The reason I purchased the Gitzo was the load capacity which was greater than my Manfrotto and gave me greater stability with a long lens, just the leg deployment is annoying, and I repeat here, others I have spoken to and worked with that have the same tripod are having the same complaiint, so it is not just me

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:32:26 pm »

I have noticed the same thing happen on occasion. I have not found it to be a big deal -- I just make sure the rubber feet come together when I fold the tripod and place it on my shoulder.

Your tripod is part of the Systematic series and thus will accept a wide range of accessories, including a center column should you want one. This one should fit your tripod.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

feppe

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »

I think you are talking about a different tripod, there is no center column on this unit.  Being able to deploy the legs without trying to pull one leg out from under the head in a rush is annoying, you have to experience it in sub zero temperatures to appreciate it., Much faster to set up my old Manfrotto.  The reason I purchased the Gitzo was the load capacity which was greater than my Manfrotto and gave me greater stability with a long lens, just the leg deployment is annoying, and I repeat here, others I have spoken to and worked with that have the same tripod are having the same complaiint, so it is not just me

As others have said several times, you can install a center column into a Systematic Gitzo even if it didn't come with one.

Rufous03

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 07:46:45 pm »

I hate to disagree, however the on line Gitzo site indicates that there is no center column available for this tripod http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.71837.72020.0.0/GT3541XLS/_/Series_3_6X_Systematic_4-section_Tripod_extra_Long.  Looking at the tripod as I sit here, I see no way one would fit without changing the base plate completely which would defeat the purpose for which I purchased it

feppe

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 07:59:03 pm »

I hate to disagree, however the on line Gitzo site indicates that there is no center column available for this tripod http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.71837.72020.0.0/GT3541XLS/_/Series_3_6X_Systematic_4-section_Tripod_extra_Long.  Looking at the tripod as I sit here, I see no way one would fit without changing the base plate completely which would defeat the purpose for which I purchased it

You can disagree all you want, it's not going to change it. On the page you linked, open Spare Parts tab, open the .pdf, and you can see how the center column attaches. It's the same setup as my 5540LS and I know for a fact it works.

Admittedly it's not an intuitive way to attach/detach the column - you have to loosen the horizontal screw on the edge of the top ring which allows you to pop out the center plate and replace it with a center column assembly.

Rufous03

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:52 pm »

OK, I bow to your superior knowledge  on this, but I still fail to see the advantage of the center column.  It will stop the leg from passing under the mounting plate, but do I sacrifice that for the sturdiness of the current mounting plate?  I am not trying to be sarcastic here, just an honest question which the local store seems to be unable to answer.  They do not have center columns in inventory that I can try, so I would have to purchase it in advance without the option to return same.

feppe

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 08:44:51 pm »

OK, I bow to your superior knowledge  on this, but I still fail to see the advantage of the center column.  It will stop the leg from passing under the mounting plate, but do I sacrifice that for the sturdiness of the current mounting plate?  I am not trying to be sarcastic here, just an honest question which the local store seems to be unable to answer.  They do not have center columns in inventory that I can try, so I would have to purchase it in advance without the option to return same.

It's just frustrating as several people said Systematics have center columns as options. Anyway.

I didn't test the sturdiness of mine with the center column. Mine is geared so it weighs a ton - putting it on eBay when I get around to it. I don't know what camera/lens you're using it with, and how much stability and dampening you need, but putting a column on it and keeping it at lowest position shouldn't make an appreciable difference unless you're getting close to the load limit of the tripod.

A more important question is whether one would want to sacrifice on weight and (marginal) stability by installing a column to alleviate or fix a problem I'm still struggling to understand. I played around with mine and can't see the issue.

Anyway :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up