Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Tune Option in ACR  (Read 9617 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Auto Tune Option in ACR
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:34:44 pm »

Hi,

I am a bit confused on what happens when the "Apply Auto Tune" option is selected in Camera Raw preferences.

1. Is this equivalent to the Auto Tune function on the basic tab? If not, what is the difference?

2. If the Auto Tune option has already been unintentionally selected in Camera Raw preferences and then the option is removed, what happens the next time ACR is opened? Do the images revert back to the default ACR without the Auto Tune (assuming no other changes have been made).

3. If not, is there a way to remove the effect of Auto Tune from the images once they have been applied?

From what I can tell if the option is selected in preferences, there is no indication that the defaults have been modified.

Regards

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Auto Tune Option in ACR
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 04:03:09 pm »

You mean Auto Tone?

In the ACR Prefs you can choose to automatically apply Auto Tone corrections which is exactly the same as clicking on the Auto button in the Basic panel. If you have accidentally checked the Auto Tone prefs then images that ACR has "touched" will have them auto adjusted. To remove any, open the image in Camera Raw after changing the Auto Tone in the prefs, open the image and select "Default". If you want to remove adjustments in Bridge, select Clear Settings from the Edit>Develop Settings menu.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 06:47:23 pm »

Yes I meant Auto Tone.

Thanks, I need a few precisions.

Would I be right in assuming that if Auto Tone is checked that all images will have been "touched" when I open Bridge?

If I select Clear Settings from the Edit>Develop Settings menu in Bridge do all images get cleared?

Or is there a way to be selective?

Is there are a way to know if a file has been touched or not?

To remove any, open the image in Camera Raw after changing the Auto Tone in the prefs, open the image and select "Default".

I checked a few images that were touched (or at least I am reasonably sure they were touched) when I had Auto Tone inadvertently checked. The check mark is already on camera raw defaults, so it does seems to do anything

BTW, I find the on-line documentation to be a bit vague about this whole thing.

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »

BTW, I find the on-line documentation to be a bit vague about this whole thing.

Yeah, well...that's why there are other options for learning...as for your other questions, try it yourself. You'll do better learning this stuff if you can avoid hand holding. I've told you what you need to know.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:20:02 pm »

Well thanks.

It wasn't a question of hand holding. Its a more of that the consequences are not obvious or easy to find. The reason I asked the question was that I was somewhat concerned that  Clear Settings in Bridge would reset much more than I intended...and that I would loose previous work. I suppose I and everyone else who is interested will have to find out the hard way.

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »

The reason I asked the question was that I was somewhat concerned that  Clear Settings in Bridge would reset much more than I intended...and that I would loose previous work.

Well, you asked how to undo the impact of Auto Tone...I told you. If an image started with Auto Tone and you subsequently adjusted the image, then it's no longer at "Auto Tone", is it?

Yes, Clear Settings will bring the image back to ACR "Default". That's what undoing Auto Tone would accomplish. What were you expecting?

stamper

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:44:07 am »

It isn't often that Schewe is bashful, shy and not forthcoming? But I will say it for him he has written a book about Camera Raw which imo is worth buying. Do a Google search. :) ;) 8)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:38:36 pm »

Well in fact I had already borrowed and returned the book from the local library and I could not remember seeing anything about my particular issue. Of course I could get the book again but  ( ... beware of totally unappolegetic plug coming.: ;) ) the book is so popular (really) and there is such a long waiting list and the documentation is so vague that I thought (...another plug coming...) that I thought I would query my favorite forum which usually provides such useful support.... Guess I might think about buying the book myself if somebody doesn't throw it at me first. ;D

Yes, Clear Settings will bring the image back to ACR "Default". That's what undoing Auto Tone would accomplish. What were you expecting?

Exactly that.  Perhaps I was unclear. It just that I cannot tell if something has been unintentionally Auto Tone'd or not (ok I'll check the book). I wanted to make sure that  Clear Settings would reset the images and only the images that had been unintentionally Auto Tone'd and would not affect the images that I had already been worked. In other words that it could be applied  selectively.

I think I have my answer now... Here goes...

stamper

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 03:28:54 am »

Bear in mind that the default isn't the same as a neutral, zero setting. Contrast and possibly sharpening will be applied. You can zero out the settings and save as a preset.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 01:27:24 pm »

Ahh... another thing I didn't know.  Is it my imagination or does the default setting (not counting WB, which I know varies) actually vary depending on the image?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 02:11:02 pm »

... I cannot tell if something has been unintentionally Auto Tone'd or not...

I do not remember in ACR, but in Lightroom, the word "Auto" would be grayed if Auto Tone was applied.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:06:24 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Schewe

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »

I do not remember in ACR, but in Lightroom, the words "Auto" would be grayed if Auto Tone was applied.

Yep, it does until you move a slider involved with any of the auto adjustments. Then the Auto is un-dimmed. So if you hit Auto them make adjustments, it's no longer "Auto" adjusted.

Schewe

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »

Is it my imagination or does the default setting (not counting WB, which I know varies) actually vary depending on the image?

It won't vary unless you have Auto Tone checked...so whatever the current settings stored as the default, those settings are applied absolutely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up