Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS Clamp that allows Cable release with L Bracket on Canon 1DS MK3?  (Read 3304 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel

Does anyone know if you can use a Really Right Stuff screw clamp (if so, which one) with a Canon 1DS MK3 with RRS L Plate mounted vertically and use a cable release?

I have the Quick Release clamp from RRS on my BH-55 and when the camera is mounted vertically with its L bracket I cant use the cable release - the bracket gets in the way. Its driving me a bit nuts of late as I have been doing a lot of bulb exposures.

I couldnt find anything on their website about it and my googleFu has come up naught.

Thanks
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Ben Rubinstein

Re: RRS Clamp that allows Cable release with L Bracket on Canon 1DS MK3?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:52:23 am »

They all do, it's the L bracket which needs to be adjusted offsetting it slightly from the body. The L bracket has 2-3 positions. You want the middle one. Weird I know, I was also very confused the first time I encountered this problem.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:28:26 am »

Does anyone know if you can use a Really Right Stuff screw clamp (if so, which one) with a Canon 1DS MK3 with RRS L Plate mounted vertically and use a cable release?

Yes you can, all clamps which have a straight narrow edge will allow to mount in portrait orientation, and use a remote control. The thicker edged ones, or with rounded edges with a bubble level will hit the connector when the L-bracket is mounted flush to the body. When you mount the L-bracket in a different position (which adds an offset to the body), it is also no longer an issue with the wider edged versions.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:33:57 am »

I have the Quick Release clamp from RRS on my BH-55 and when the camera is mounted vertically with its L bracket I cant use the cable release - the bracket gets in the way. Its driving me a bit nuts of late as I have been doing a lot of bulb exposures.

I'm using the RRS pano clamp (screw-type) and cannot remember having encountered problem with the cable release. I can't verify at the moment because my 1Ds3 is in for repair.
Have you tried to shift the L-bracket a bit?

Edit: I meant shifting the camera body in the L-bracket, not shifting the L-bracket in the clamp
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:38:41 am by francois »
Francois

francois

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:47 am »

OK, I just remembered that I still have a MK2 camera.

I tried the MK2 + RRS L-bracket + lever clamp and it works well if the camera is shifter a tiny bit in the L-bracket to provide clearance for the cable release.

I then tried with the RRS Pano clamp (screw type) and the fit is the same.

I attached a quick snapshot of my camera, vertically mounted, with the cable release. The clearance between the clamp and cable release is maybe, maybe 1mm.

Hope this helps.

Francois

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:05 am »

The correct plate is here. When using the electronic cable release, it's a tight fit at the plate/clamp junction but it works.
~ CB

Josh-H

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 07:07:23 pm »

Thanks all - that just saved me from ordering a new plate. I had not even considered offseting the camera.  ::)

Edit - Check out Page 27 of the new RRS catalogue. They now have a cable release spacer.
http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRS/Others/RRS_Spring_2011.pdf
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 08:15:11 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Marlyn

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »

I can confirm what others have said. slight offset on the base plate (screw in the middle of the slot), allows the bracket to fit with cable release or other right-angle connector just fine.

Clearance is approx 1mm from the connector when plugged in,  but I havn't had any issue with eithe screw or quick release plates used in vertical mode.

Regards

Mark

PS:  Don't link the RRS catalog !   it just ends up costing me money everytime I read that :)

francois

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:17:28 am »

PS:  Don't link the RRS catalog !   it just ends up costing me money everytime I read that :)

I seem to suffer from the same disease…
 ;D
Francois

Jon Meddings

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:10:34 am »

Josh you've likely thought of this but just in case.... :-)

I used to use the cable release with the same camera and clamp setup. Offsetting it in the vertical orientation works just fine (although I've always worried about this doing panorama's and not being vertically over the center of rotation..)

Over the last few years I've quit using the quick release. Instead I've been using mirror lockup and the 2 second timer - I just haven't seen a need for the quick release anymore.  I've used exposures for northern lights of up to 30 seconds this way and have had no slap or vibration of the camera. Works for me Josh!

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:51:19 am »

Thanks Jon, Yes I have been using self timer for years like that. However, for bulb exposures (exposures longer than 30 seconds) a cable release really is a must I find. Otherwise touching the shutter to close it causes vibration.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up