Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vuitton Wins Case Against Amsterdam Art Student - liable for 300k EUR in damages  (Read 1818 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography

Radio Netherlands reports that a Danish art student studying in Amsterdam has been found guilty of misusing Vuitton's handbag design in her bid to raise awareness of Darfur and criticizing media coverage.

According to the article "Fashion Giant Louis Vuitton objected to the use of its design, claiming its bag was being used as bait for merchandising. The fashion house was also being unjustly associated with the situation in Darfur, according to its legal complaint."

Ms Plesner (the art student) comments:

I’d like to start a discussion about how the media works and why there are so many reports about big stars and totally no coverage of a situation like that in Darfur... The bag was there as a status symbol. But as far as I’m concerned, it’s got nothing to do with Louis Vuitton. That’s got nothing to do with my picture. It was just a way of showing the child off as a bit of a celebrity.

This was the second case she lost against Vuitton. She is liable for 5,000 EUR of damages per day her work is online, and already owes Vuitton 300,000 EUR according to the article. The work in dispute is here, and you can find more background information from her here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:56:11 pm by feppe »

Rob C

Well, silly girl.

Rob C

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography

Ms Plesner won the case:
On May 4, 2011 we finally received the verdict, and amazingly we won! I hoped for the best, but never expected the result to be this positive! The judge completely anulled the court order from January 27th, so now I don't have to pay the fine of 485.000 Euros anymore. I am also free to show Darfurnica and Simple Livingand he ordered Louis Vuitton to pay 15.000 Euros to cover a part of my legal costs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up