Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5dmkII vs. 4x5 & v750- Resolution  (Read 13187 times)

Dick Roadnight

Re: 5dmkII vs. 4x5 & v750- Resolution
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 07:13:14 am »

...the enjoyment of using a view camera and ground glass, something that I found important.

How does this compare with the joy of using a view camera and live view?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 11:18:11 am »

I can't understand why anyone would go through the process of shooting 4x5 and then scan on a flatbed.
Well if something like the Fuji Lanovia fell into my lap or one of the top Creo's I would see a lot of point. Besides you might not be shooting 5x4 or any other film for it's resolution capability.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Kerry L

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:30 am »

I imagine that it would be very much the same.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »

I imagine that it would be very much the same.
With live view you get a bigger brighter picture, and you can position the screen for your comfort, and zoom in ... so I would have thought that ground glass does not come close?

Kerry L

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »

With live view you get a bigger brighter picture, and you can position the screen for your comfort, and zoom in ... so I would have thought that ground glass does not come close?

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The ground glass is 4X5 or in my case 6X9cm, using a loupe is akin to "zooming in", under a dark cloth the image is usually very bright, although not always. Using a larger monitor with a DB means more weight and fiddling around to connect and to mount (in the field on a tri-pod leg) near the camera.

Also I've found that many of the small portable monitors and LCD panels are difficult to view in bright day light. It might be arguable that as you are looking at an unsharpened image (and magnified thru zooming) on the monitor that the image on a ground glass, seen with a quality loupe, is sharper.

So again I'd agree that using live view or a ground glass on a view camera for viewing are similar. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
"Try and let your mind see more than you

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 05:30:29 am »

I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make. The ground glass is 4X5 or in my case 6X9cm, using a loupe is akin to "zooming in", under a dark cloth the image is usually very bright, although not always. Using a larger monitor with a DB means more weight and fiddling around to connect and to mount (in the field on a tri-pod leg) near the camera.

Also I've found that many of the small portable monitors and LCD panels are difficult to view in bright day light. It might be arguable that as you are looking at an unsharpened image (and magnified thru zooming) on the monitor that the image on a ground glass, seen with a quality loupe, is sharper.

So again I'd agree that using live view or a ground glass on a view camera for viewing are similar. Both have advantages and disadvantages.
One of the things I dislike about using a ground glass is the claustrophobia of being under a dark cloth... so I have a bino viewer for my Sinar P2... and a dark cloth or hood would make it very much easier to see a laptop-screen in some lighting conditions.

Having to position the camera where you can get your eye to the viewfinder can either be a pain in the neck or a restriction on creative freedom.

I have a 17" laptop... but it would feel heavy after a ten mile hike.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:34:33 am by Dick Roadnight »

donbga

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 01:33:34 pm »

I have a 17" laptop... but it would feel heavy after a ten mile hike.

Soon you will be able to use an iPad or Android tablet wirelessly in Liveview mode.

Don Bryant
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up