Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IS the Cambo X2 any good?  (Read 1130 times)

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
IS the Cambo X2 any good?
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:20 am »

There is an X2 on Ebay for a reasonable price. It is for a Canon D1 mount so I'd have to rig something for a 5D or shell out for a new adapter.
Is this better than the Canon TS-E 90mm or will it be a wise investment for the occasional still life?

The listing includes both  45mm and 80mm Mamiya lens but they are not D lenses >

David McCaughan

Re: IS the Cambo X2 any good?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:52:11 am »

Neil-
I have enjoyed "playing" with one and have used a variety lenses with it. (Mamiya RZ, 645, Hassy, Sinaron) I have been using 5d I and found most of the medium format lenses sharp enough to satisfy my needs. I have also used a 1Ds III and the live view is great when shooting with the X2. Any lens has to have manual aperture control, so the Mamiya D lenses would be almost impossible to implement. Wide angle options are expensive and limited.
I ultimately abandoned the X2 on a daily basis because it was too bulky and slow for my style of working. If my camera lived on a camera stand and all I did was table top, I think it could be a great tool. The X2 is extremely well made and is a great piece of engineering, the gearing is fantastic and it is a pleasure to use. There are some inexpensive part on the Calumet used sites as well.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up