Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deconvolution software - FocusMagic, Topaz InFocus, others?? .. What to buy?  (Read 4700 times)

HCHeyerdahl

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 100

I want a Deconvolution software to be able to save/improve on the once in a while nice shot with slightly wrong focus.

I found 2 programs and played with their free downloads, and my results so far:

FocusMagic: I found it gives quite a bit of improvement on two test images.
Topaz Infocus: I found the results unconvincing, and clearly inferior to the results I got from Focus magic (may be user error, I don´t know).

Any other suggestions?


Christopher

Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto

Hi,

You could also try smart sharpen in Photoshop CS5.

- Use advanced
- Lens blur
- More accurate
- Choose hight amount increase radius to match defocus and decrease amount for good looks

To my best knowledge there has been little development on FocusMagic and it doesn't work with CS5 on my MacPro (except using Rosetta). I have seen little difference between FM and Smart Sharpen used as above. Topaz Infocus can make rather aggressive sharpening but can give a lot of artifacts.

Check this discussion: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45038.0

A little test I have done:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/49-dof-in-digital-pictures?start=2

Best regards
Erik


I want a Deconvolution software to be able to save/improve on the once in a while nice shot with slightly wrong focus.

I found 2 programs and played with their free downloads, and my results so far:

FocusMagic: I found it gives quite a bit of improvement on two test images.
Topaz Infocus: I found the results unconvincing, and clearly inferior to the results I got from Focus magic (may be user error, I don´t know).

Any other suggestions?


Christopher


Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

deejjjaaaa

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1170

Any other suggestions?

briefly (the link from the prev. poster has all that)

ACR/LR raw converters w/ the details slider shifted towards the max
smartsharpen in photoshop
rawtherapee raw converter
DxO w/ the specific body + lens module
Logged

HCHeyerdahl

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 100

Thanks for the pointers!

Chr
Logged

Jonathan Ratzlaff

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 203

Focus magic does seem to have a different effect than other sharpening programs. I have been using it for years and it does work differently.  Given the price there is no reason not to include it in your arsenal.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up