Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wide Gamut Monitor + Mac Computer + The World Wide Web?  (Read 8440 times)

tgray

Re: Wide Gamut Monitor + Mac Computer + The World Wide Web?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 11:02:51 am »

Since you have a PA271W, I'd recommend the following.  If you go for lengths of time where all of your work is in Photoshop, etc., and then other periods where you are on the web, doing non-photo stuff, and there is very little overlap between the two, then I'd recommend you set up an sRGB profile as well as a wide-gamut one and just toggle back and forth between the two as needed.  If you have Spectraview, you can do it there, or you can do it through Multiprofiler or the panel controls if you don't.  This works for me because I tend to work on photos for a couple hours at a time a couple times a week.  The rest of the week the monitor can live in sRGB since I'm not doing photo stuff.  It takes about 20 seconds to switch profiles.

If you need to be in wide-gamut mode all the time, well that's a different matter.  As you've found out, Safari displays non-tagged images in monitor RGB, so a non-tagged sRGB image is going to be too saturated.  It's a shame there's not a default 'assume non-tagged images as' setting or override.  All I can say is that maybe it's best to treat the web as not color accurate.  If you really need to judge an image from the web, save it to the desktop and then pop it open in a color aware application like Photoshop.

howardm

Re: Wide Gamut Monitor + Mac Computer + The World Wide Web?
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 11:39:17 am »

I do similar.  on my PA241, when I'm using it for normal stuff, I have 1 setting (via Multiprofiler) and when I delve into LR/PS, I switch to different luminance and other settings.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up