Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Architectural Photography--How to get paid?  (Read 27951 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Architectural Photography--How to get paid?
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »

Joe, I'm not sure how long you have been doing this, but IME you are wrong here. FWIW at last count-I quit counting a few years ago-I have had over 400 articles published. On nearly every shoot I send out queries to magazines and every year I sell many articles off of cold submissions. They are hungry for input and expect to pay the photographer if selected-HOWEVER when they are getting submittals from architect's PR people they often times assume that the architects own all rights and are offering the images for free to get into the magazine. My contracts are very clear about this because I have had so much experience with it. I have yet to have a story killed because I insisted on use fees, though in some circumstances the architect has antied up to cover the magazines fees because of their misleading pitch. I am not unreasonable or cutthroat about these fees-I have always been paid well upfront for the shoot. But as I tell people "I don't need exposure, I need income".
Defiantly not as long as you, and not as experienced.  I am speaking from a little experience and much advice, but I have found that magazines are skimpy, or at least the local ones.  On a national level, almost no experience yet, although I am planing on starting to offer a submission service to my clients for a reduced cost, making it up on the publishing fees.  

I too am very clear on their use vs. a magazines use in my contracts. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

willconnor

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »

Kirk,  When you make these cold call submissions, are you submitting text copy and images or just images that the magazine editors build a story around?  If just the images, are you pitching an angle for them? 

Thanks,  Will

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 07:06:05 pm »

Will, I never write anything close to an article just a brief description of the project will some "hooks" possibly relevant aspects of the building aimed at the particular interests of the magazine.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up