Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoya Protective filter or B&W UV haze  (Read 10311 times)

NigelC

Hoya Protective filter or B&W UV haze
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:20:57 pm »

I need to get protective filters, particularly for Zeiss 21 and 35 ZE. Are the Hoya Pro 1 or HD digital Protection filters less likely to affect Zeiss colour rendition than B&W UV Haze or (even more expensive) B&W UV Haze MRC? In the Hoya line, is the HD significantly better than the Pro1?

lightstand

Re: Hoya Protective filter or B&W UV haze
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:39:20 pm »

i had an expensive Hoya Polarizing filter come apart on me while I was shooting an interior (trying to remove some floor glare)  It was a very expensive filter and I had always treated it with tender hands for it to just come apart on me and then be told because it was months (maybe two) past it's warranty - HA!  I will never buy another Hoya anything 

just my two cents

NigelC

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:46 am »

i had an expensive Hoya Polarizing filter come apart on me while I was shooting an interior (trying to remove some floor glare)  It was a very expensive filter and I had always treated it with tender hands for it to just come apart on me and then be told because it was months (maybe two) past it's warranty - HA!  I will never buy another Hoya anything 

just my two cents

Well I think polarisers are inherently less reliable as they have moving parts- but that really shouldn't have happened. I prefer B&W because I think they use brass rings, whereas Hoya use aluminium which is more likely to bind. However, I would put up with that if the Hoya had less impact on Zeiss colour rendition.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:51:47 am »

I need to get protective filters, particularly for Zeiss 21 and 35 ZE. Are the Hoya Pro 1 or HD digital Protection filters less likely to affect Zeiss colour rendition than B&W UV Haze or (even more expensive) B&W UV Haze MRC? In the Hoya line, is the HD significantly better than the Pro1?
I use Hoya filters almost exclusively.  Great products.

I first tested the "Protector" series of filters last August and have been pleased with them since.  Before, I used the S1pro and UV and Skylight series and I find the Protector series every bit as good in build quality and coatings.

I don't use the HD.. but I think they only come in UV coatings.. and with digital I don't find UV or Skylight particularly more useful than a clear filter.  I use protective filters when I feel the lens will receive significantly less wear and tear through it's use, and no filter when this isn't the case..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:59 am »

Notes about the Hoya physicial filter only.  I've used many of these in the past, but not anymore.  First, the aluminum rings seize up (as was mentioned by others - and same in use for me) and can be a real pain. I only use filters with brass rings now - almost exclusively B+W - these have been fantastic.  Secondly, I don't care for the MC coating on the Hoyas.  In my experience, any water, or moisture contact on their MC surfaces...creates the typical MC irridescent markings...which require immediate cleaning....AND their MC coatings also won't clean easily unless you use Formula MC...minor water spotting on the B+W can be cleaned with lens cloths, such as Kinetronics.  I have found that the MC coatings on Hoyas...are more fragile than the B+W as well. I have had one Hoya come apart as well. 
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

alanscape

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:29 am »

I totally agree about the 'hard to clean' Hoya. I use Hoya SHMC (not digital pro 1) and I think in future I may replace them. I have to say that the 'filter fascination factor'
is a very old chestnut but my only real contribution has to be the link to the tests...

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html   

There's one on Pola as well... I hope this is useful even though it's not (or could be) a definitive answer.

I have to say that in 45 years I've never had any 'mechanical' problem but I have always used Hoya and B+W high-end models. The only problem I ever had was a Hasselblad pola
which decided to 'de-laminate' before my very eyes!

stever

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:32 am »

i prefer the B+W

i think there are some past posts on the subject, search B+W

NigelC

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:10:37 pm »

Notes about the Hoya physicial filter only.  I've used many of these in the past, but not anymore.  First, the aluminum rings seize up (as was mentioned by others - and same in use for me) and can be a real pain. I only use filters with brass rings now - almost exclusively B+W - these have been fantastic.  Secondly, I don't care for the MC coating on the Hoyas.  In my experience, any water, or moisture contact on their MC surfaces...creates the typical MC irridescent markings...which require immediate cleaning....AND their MC coatings also won't clean easily unless you use Formula MC...minor water spotting on the B+W can be cleaned with lens cloths, such as Kinetronics.  I have found that the MC coatings on Hoyas...are more fragile than the B+W as well. I have had one Hoya come apart as well. 

That's interesting - I have a couple of Hoya Pro 1 Sky filters I have found difficult to clean without smearing. But B&W is UV, not clear protector.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:50:00 pm »

Nigel - following is cleaning "method" for Hoya (and any other glass for that matter) and the only way I ever got them absolutely spotless.
1. Clean away dust/particles from lens with blower and anti-static wisk ( vigorously blow the wisk - as this will create static within the bristles)
2. Apply very small amount of Formula MC (at link following) on a PecsPad - very very gently (and briefly) in circular motion around the lens surface
3. When this has dried, use small piece of Kinetronics Tiger Cloth and very very gently remove Formula MC residue in a circular motion...this usually needs to be done twice.
4. Use lens blower and wisk to finish.

http://www.2filter.com/
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:32:08 pm »

That's interesting - I have a couple of Hoya Pro 1 Sky filters I have found difficult to clean without smearing. But B&W is UV, not clear protector.
I must be doing something wrong.  I've never had one 'seize' up, even after a drop where it's crushed, and mine clean fine with hot breath and a microfiber cloth.  The only filters I've had a hard time cleaning are my Singh-ray polarizers, but I thought that was because of their special coatings (blue/gold/etc)..
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

jimk

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:59 am »

the hd version should be easier to clean .. so should the tiffen  "dht" (digital high transmission) be easy to clean they got a coating similar to the bw multi resistant coating
Pages: [1]   Go Up