Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ball Head for Monopod  (Read 3693 times)

Kit-V

Ball Head for Monopod
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:32:20 pm »

I have a Slik Pro Pod 382CF monopod & am in need of a recommendation for a ball head. The head will support up to a maximum weight of 5 lbs. And since the reason I bought the 382CF monopod was for it's light weight, I am looking for a ball head that is lightweight as well.

Thank you for any recommendations. I appreciate it.
Falling Fork Photography

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Ball Head for Monopod
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:04 pm »

Really Right Stuff makes 3 sizes, all of which are excellent.  Should be something here for you...

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »

But consider whether it's really a ballhead you want for your monopod.  If you need a head at all, a dedicated monopod head that only operates in two dimensions can have significant advantages over a ballhead that operates (and flops) in three.

At the low end of the two-dimensional scale is the Manfrotto 3232.  At the high end is the RRS monopod head.

Nill

Kit-V

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 11:09:55 pm »

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, a ball head will be beneficial. I plan to use the monopod primarily when traveling. And since I travel with nothing more than can fit in an airplane overhead bin, versatility is important.
Falling Fork Photography

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:26:03 am »

+1 on the RRS head. I would strongly advice against using a multidimensional ballhead on a monopod. A 2-dimensional head is much easier to use, the other dimension can easily be used via tilting the entire monopod somewhat. A ballhead that can flop to all sides I find really akward, especially considering you need at least 1 hand to hold the monopod (or camera)...

I bought a ballhead at first but after that I quickly switched to a 2-dimensional RRS head.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:35:35 am by Dustbak »

brianrybolt

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:32:01 am »

I agree that a 2 - D head is the way to go after dealing with these issues for quite a few years.  I would also incorporate a RRS - L bracket when you need to shoot vertically with an un-collared lens.

Brian

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:32 am »

Has anyone used the Acratech Long Lens Head? It is more expensive (and somewhat heavier - by about 6 ounces) than the RRS Pan and Tilt equivalent...Which one has knobs that are easier to work with? Any advantage of one to the other?

patphoto

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »

I'm using the RRS MH-01 head too.

I've used ball head before, but on a monopod it's not easy to adjust the way you want. The RSS monopod head rocks.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:48 pm »

A ball head on a monopod is, at least for me, a PITA.  RRS MH-01 or similar head is better.

Steve

stever

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:56:46 pm »

if you have a really good reason for a monopod, then the RRS head is the way to go.  if you have not had experience with a monopod, it is not in any way a substitute for a tripod.  a monopod can be useful (with experience) for sports photography with long lenses, but i can't think of much else

before you spend money on a RRS head (a ball head is completely useless), consider what you want to accomplish with the monopod

24x36

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:28:51 pm »

But consider whether it's really a ballhead you want for your monopod.  If you need a head at all, a dedicated monopod head that only operates in two dimensions can have significant advantages over a ballhead that operates (and flops) in three.

At the low end of the two-dimensional scale is the Manfrotto 3232.  At the high end is the RRS monopod head.

Nill

Agreed. I hate the all-over slop of a ballhead in any use, but on a monopod (itself moving) it's ungainly and unneeded. A dedicated head like those you've mentioned is a far better choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up