Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Any ideas as to how to remove a cross threaded filter 77mm.  (Read 25186 times)

Some Guy

Re: Help - Any ideas as to how to remove a cross threaded filter 77mm.
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 09:29:04 am »

Got one stuck once.  Took it to local camera store.  Guy told me I'd need a new filter when he took it off.  I said, "Okay."

He took the lens over by the cash register, opened a drawer, pulled out some old pliers, told me "You might not want to watch this!"  (I did!), smacked the filter glass and broke it, then gave a sharp twist of the filter ring to collapse it and pulled it out.  Brushed off the front lens, and sold me a filter which screwed in fine.

Not for the faint of heart though.

SG

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 11:00:19 am »

I've had this on a couple of occasions and feel it's more a matter of the very fine thread offering resistance to moving due to friction rather than cross threading. Where there's friction you need lubrication, so WD40 can come in handy here. I squirt a drop on to my finger and then rub it around the gap where the filter ring and lens join, you might have to do it a couple of times, but having let it soak in for a minute or two the filter usually turns. I'm not sure of the effect of WD40 on lens coatings so am very sparing with it.

I have often wondered about using locksmiths carbon on the thread before screwing it in, but using a fine dust so close to a camera may not be a good idea.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 11:32:37 am »

I missed this thread until the recent posts. It's a good read in a gonzo-DIY sort of way, but, were this to happen to me, instead of getting out the hacksaw, I'd pack up the lens and send it to Nikon.

I know, I know; what fun is that?

Jim

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 02:18:28 pm »

I missed this thread until the recent posts. It's a good read in a gonzo-DIY sort of way, but, were this to happen to me, instead of getting out the hacksaw, I'd pack up the lens and send it to Nikon.

I know, I know; what fun is that?

Jim

Expensive and time consuming fun.

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »

Hi,

When I have had a filter which wont budge I get a hack saw and cut two groves across the filter. Then I get a steel ruler and put the edge of the ruler in the saw cuts. Its then a simple turn of the ruler.

Cheers

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

dwswager

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 09:25:31 pm »

Of course, a lot of this depends on the value of the lens and the value of the filter.  Given the 70-200mm is likely worth way more than the filter, I'd be less likely to try saving the filter.  I certainly wouldn't try breaking the filter glass as it is most likely going to end up marking the front element of the lens.  Taking the glass out in some orderly fashion is also a good option to take stress off the ring.  Then you can collapse it inward trying not to further damage the lens threads.

There is a big difference between on too tight and cross threaded.  On too tight is usually just a matter of getting enough grip on the ring to unscrew it.  Cross threaded introduces possible damage to the lens going on and possibly more damage coming off unless the filter ring is collapsed to get the threads disengaged.

Colorado David

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »

How did this ever turn out?

NancyP

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 11:39:50 am »

Actually, I smear a little "locksmiths' carbon" on the threads of sticky filters. The delivery agent is a ..... PENCIL....with a soft lead. Apply off camera, blow off excess, screw filter on camera.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 03:40:15 pm »

Actually, I smear a little "locksmiths' carbon" on the threads of sticky filters. The delivery agent is a ..... PENCIL....with a soft lead. Apply off camera, blow off excess, screw filter on camera.

Tip of the year already!   :)

ColinLeft

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 08:34:10 am »

Just read through this thread as I have a 72mm UV stuck crossed on a 24-85mm Nikon VR. Tried a few ideas but the filter a Hoya has very thin ring and this is impossible to grip even with a turn of soft rope, or holding filter flat onto a cork board.

As 4/5 of filter was one thread(?) further out, and only so only a small portion up tight against the lens, I ran a small kitchen knife around the tightest part of thread and the filter popped free.

The lens had been wrapped in cling film and put in the freezer for 15mins or so a little while earlier so that may have helped but I don't think so as it probably warmed up... No damage to lens or filter!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 01:52:07 pm »

Time to renew the thread on its fifth anniversary :)

I just got a new Kenko (Hoya) 82mm EX slim polarizer for my 24mm T/S lens and tried it on. As I was carefully and gently screwing it in, I thought how would I know when it is fully screwed? I mean, with ordinary filters you don't even have to screw them all the way, at least not tightly, but with a polarizer, you'd need to be able to rotate the front part without rotating the base at the same time. As I was thinking that, I felt that the filter almost snapped into the no-more position. Yep, it was firmly there. I immediately tried unscrewing it, to no avail. You see, the latest generation of slim filters is even slimmer than the previous, even slimmer than a photoshopped Vogue model. Now, given how thin the filter already is, you can imaging how thin is the non-moving base. Long story short, after several panicking attempts with a rubber glove, it relented.

So the question is how do I prevent it from happening in the future? Nancy's pencil idea? WD-40 in advance*? Or simply admitting that filter and that lens do not like each other and look for alternatives (btw, which polarizer, those who have the 24mm T/S, you use?).

P.S. The filter came with a 3"x4" "non-slip silicone sheet" included... what is that for?

* Which reminds me why it is useful to have a man around the house:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:19:25 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 05:00:06 pm »

Don't have time to read all of this, but what works for me every time is to take a piece of flat rubber or the bottom of a shoe, place the filter face down on the rubber surface and turn in the correct direction.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 05:05:18 pm »

Don't have time to read all of this, but what works for me every time is to take a piece of flat rubber or the bottom of a shoe, place the filter face down on the rubber surface and turn in the correct direction.

Right, might work on non-polarizing filters. Unfortunately, mine is a polarizer, with a rotating front.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 05:17:06 pm »

Right, might work on non-polarizing filters. Unfortunately, mine is a polarizer, with a rotating front.

Ouch! Sorry, I didn't read carefully enough. Have not run into that.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 09:22:36 pm »

Yep, a bit of graphite will do wonders to prevent sticking, and a soft lead pencil+ will deliver.
As to removal, force distribution (=balanced pressure/deformation) is the only way (besides active lubrication after the fact).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 09:25:55 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

degrub

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 09:58:04 pm »

"P.S. The filter came with a 3"x4" "non-slip silicone sheet" included... what is that for?"

A poor mans glove ?

Frank

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2016, 05:42:51 am »

What has worked for me many a time is a two handed approach: hold the camera  in one hand with the thumb and index fingers holding/squeezing the filter from behind at its 3 and 9 o'clock positions; with the other hand hold/squeeze the filter from the front with thumb and index fingers on the 6 and 12 o'clock positions.  Trying to apply equal pressure on the four points gently turn the filter with all four fingers in the direction it needs to.  If it's not badly jammed it usually comes right off.

Jack

brianrybolt

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 06:28:06 am »

At a 'cook shop' they should sell round floppy silicon devices that are for unscrewing lids on jars.  It has worked for me on getting off stuck filters.
Good luck.

vjbelle

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 08:15:06 am »

Many good suggestions.  I have used silicon as a flat surface remedy and have also used flexible rubber gloves - the kind that can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot.  I also think that mechanics flexible rubber gloves would work well - similar to food service gloves.  Most importantly I have learned not to apply too much force as that can cause more of an issue.  A very slight tapping at various places on the edge of the ring with a screw driver before applying torque has helped.

Victor

jmlphotography

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 10:06:50 am »

Had a polarizer stick on me once.  A friend who is an engineer popped it off pretty quickly.  Maybe I was just lucky but he said the trick is to first turn it right just a touch (tighten) and then left to untighten.  YMMV.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up