Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - Any ideas as to how to remove a cross threaded filter 77mm.  (Read 25190 times)

J.Dufton

I have cross threaded a filter on my Nikon 70-200mm lens.
I have tried plastic wrenches & a rubber wrench without avail.
Does any one have any other ideas?
Thanks.
John D
John Dufton[font="Times New Roman"][/font][size="2"][/size][color="#0000FF"][/color]

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Re: Help - Any ideas as to how to remove a cross threaded filter 77mm.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:12:50 pm »

heating or cooling can expand and contract the metal to make it easier (hopefully) to get off.  You can try spraying the ring with canned air...enough of it that the propellant starts to come out and make it very cold.  I have also used a pair of channel lock pliers with a rubber can opener stuck in the jaws.  I have heard about people putting close fitting rubber bands around the edge to help  get a better grip.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:16:56 pm »

Not sure how stuck it is, but if it's really really bad, try this.  Remove the glass from the filter -- hopefully you can get at the retaining ring from the front and screw it out so the glass falls out.  Take a fine bladed saw (really fine, like a jewelers saw) and cut into the filter ring from its front, going to just before the front of the lens.  Do this in 4 places or so.  Then grip the ring between 2 of the cuts with needlenose pliers and pull straight to the inside, to break the threaded portion at the cut.  This is easier on aluminum filters than brass ones.

Obviously, you should have some solid experience with fine work of this type before you go ahead, so it may best be left to the repair shop depending on your level of skill.

If it's deeply cross-threaded, I would be inclined to cut it out rather than risk screwing up the threads on the lens any worse anyway . . . .

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:17:53 pm »

What has worked for me for stuck filters, not necessarily cross threaded, is to carefully wrap 3/4" masking tape around the filter, making sure the masking tape is only sticking to the filter -about 6 or 7 turns/layers.  You can put the camera in a padded vice of some sort and with the extra grip that the masking tape gives you, you can get a fair amount of torque.  You should wrap the tape so it tightens as you twist in the appropriate direction.  If that doesn't work cutting is probably the only option - other than sending in for servicing.

degrub

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:34:54 pm »

a flat rubber band stretched around the circumference of the filter might give you enough grip.
Try gripping it at different points around the circle. It is likely only bound where the threads cross and a little compression might break the galled metals apart enough to get it started.

You could also try a strap wrench - like the ones used on car oil filters to give you some more torque.

The heat / cooling options will depend on the differential expansion / contraction of the presumably two different metals.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:36:25 pm by degrub »

viewfinder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:37 am »

Take a small rectangle of 6mm/1/4" plywood and place the camera/filter down on one end so that you can draw closely around the filter onto the ply.   Cut out the inside of the pencil line as accurately as possible and then sand to the line using abrasive paper wrapped around a small bottle.    Cut a slot from the 'hole' to the farthest end of the ply..........

......Hold the plywood 'wrench' in your strongest hand with fingers around the longest part,..place onto filter ring and gently squeeze your hand to close the slot and tighten the wrench around the filter,....if you have made it carefully it will take up tension completely around the filter ring thus providing maximum torque,...now turn anti-clockwise to remove the filter.

J.Dufton

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:46 am »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any success yet. The time has come for more drastic remedies.
I will try and cut it out.
John Dufton[font="Times New Roman"][/font][size="2"][/size][color="#0000FF"][/color]

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:43:18 am »

I have had some success with tapping. After rapping the ring with tape, grab the ring with a pair of pliers and lightly tap the pliers near the ring in the direction of rotation.  Then move around the ring a quarter turn and do again.  Have patience.

Good luck!

Dave Carter

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 10:51:07 am »

Also, I forgot to mention.  If you can screw  another low cost filter onto the front of the stuck one - then tape them together.  That may help.  It keeps the stuck one from being bent out-of-round as you try to twist both of them.  Also, very cold on the outer filter transfers the cold to the stuck filter better - while keeping the lens warm.

Again, best of luck.

250swb

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:37 am »

Tape up your lens to protect it. Then with a hacksaw cut a slot in one edge of the filter and then another slot 180 degrees opposite. Stop cutting before you get to the glass. Find a length of metal that will fit across from one slot to the other to act like a giant screwdriver blade, and unscrew the filter. Your 'giant screwdriver blade' could be the back edge of the hacksaw blade. Doing it this way the glass remains in the filter to protect the front element, and you can even use the filter again as you only put two slots in the edge.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:04:20 am by 250swb »

Rand47

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »

This will seem over-simple but give it a try.  Rather than twisting motion on the filter which tends to torque it out of round - try using a flat hand across the front of the whole face of the filter. Press "inward" as evenly as possible, and firmly, as you rotate your whole flat-hand anti-clockwise.

Sometimes does miracles as the inward pressure takes the bind out of the threads, and the zero distortion of the frame due to flat-handing combined with the whole ring being rotated evenly with your palm puts greater rotation on the frame.
Rand Scott Adams

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 12:46:51 pm »

- try using a flat hand across the front of the whole face of the filter. Press "inward" as evenly as possible, and firmly, as you rotate your whole flat-hand anti-clockwise.

Excellent, clear advice.  This exact technique has worked for me in the past on very large diameter filters that were stuck.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:58:50 am »

I use the sole of my boot or shoe (the flatter the better) against the rim of the filter and push down on the shoe and rotate. Be careful you don't have too much crud on your shoes! This may be just enough mechanical contract you need to twist off your stuck filter.

As a substitue for your show, you may use a textured rubber jar opening matt used as an aide to the "elderly" laying flat on a table and push your lens filter down on this surface and give it a try. These things look like 5x5 inch coaster, but are made of rubber about 1/16 inch thick and help you get a grip on stuck pickle jar lids. I've used this besides my shoe when I've had them handy.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 04:38:57 am »

I once dropped a Mamiya 7 on the ground and it had a polarizer screwed on. The lens was fine but the rim of the filter was slightly dented and it was just impossible to take it off. It might sound a bit drastic but I brought it to a toolmaker company next door from work and they got it off quite easily. Maybe that's the way to go.

tsjanik

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 07:06:12 am »

This will seem over-simple but give it a try.  Rather than twisting motion on the filter which tends to torque it out of round - try using a flat hand across the front of the whole face of the filter. Press "inward" as evenly as possible, and firmly, as you rotate your whole flat-hand anti-clockwise.

Sometimes does miracles as the inward pressure takes the bind out of the threads, and the zero distortion of the frame due to flat-handing combined with the whole ring being rotated evenly with your palm puts greater rotation on the frame.

Thanks, this technique removed a stuck filter from my Pentax 67 300mm ED.  I had tried a number of other methods to no avail.

Rand47

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 08:23:30 am »

Thanks, this technique removed a stuck filter from my Pentax 67 300mm ED.  I had tried a number of other methods to no avail.

Glad it was helpful.
Rand Scott Adams

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 04:02:49 pm »

Having had a few touchy moments with the 82mm's, this was welcome reading...of course the thin mounts don't allow the threading of a second filter, but brilliant idea for standard mount..and the rubber of ones sole...I'll never forget that that...the principle of spreading the contact uniformly whilst at the same time somewhat tweaking the compression makes such (and should be obvious) good sense...

Thanks to all who've been there and shared...
A common woman~

oolic

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:45 pm »

After trying the other suggestions, if they fail, I would try J-B WELD. Get a cheap filter of the same diameter,77mm ? remove it's element. Then JBweld a handle to that filter.Something like a 1/4x1/4 inch bar steel or aluminum bar stock from your local hardware store. Cut the barstock to fit into that filter ring, your new "wrench" . After the JB cures JB weld that filter thread area and screw it to your stuck filter let the epoxy cure overnight and unscrew. Making a wood clamp for the lens, as suggested earlier would be a good idea too...Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Regards, Richard

geneseejoe

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 10:12:07 pm »

I had a stuck 77mm filter on a Nikon lens that had been screwed on crooked and had been like that for years. I tried rubber bands, rubber gloves and screwing another filter on the stuck filter to try and remove it, without success. Then I tried wrapping a thin piece of leather shoe lace around the filter and it came right off. It was amazing how easy it came off.

dwswager

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:22 pm »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any success yet. The time has come for more drastic remedies.
I will try and cut it out.

A strap wrench might work.  Appropriately sized, of course.  Gives grip an equalized pressure on both sides.

My Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D and B+W multi coated circular polarizer hated each other!  I learned to thread carefully and screw them on lightly.  Luckily the 70-200mm f/2.8G is less finicky.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up