Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom plug-ins  (Read 3092 times)

HannahWebster

• Hannah Webster Photography
Lightroom plug-ins
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:21:00 pm »

Hi,

I have recently bought a copy of Lightroom 3 and I am really enjoying it! I was wondering if there are any plug-ins that people recommend? I shoot mainly portraits so was wondering if anyone had used any plug-ins which are good for offering extra portrait profiles/controls.

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom plug-ins
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:33:43 pm »

Hannah

What you seem to be asking for are properly known as "presets", not plug-ins. Presets are more like quick recipes, while plug-ins are more like mini-programs.

I suggest you look at http://inside-lightroom.com/ and also at those by Sean at http://lightroom-blog.com/. I'd add that there are lots of presets that you can buy, but I would never advise anyone to pay a penny for a preset.

Also, consider whether now is the right time to experiment with presets. You will be in a better position to evaluate their worth if you have a bit more Lightroom experience under your belt, and I tend to think they prevent learning as much as give you a starting point for a particular effect.

John

HannahWebster

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:48:06 pm »

Thanks John,

You are right I should (and will) of course explore the programs capabilities before getting things that do it for me! I used to have silver efex pro for Aperture and I was wondering if there was similar things for lightroom.

Just being a bit lazy! I think I need to watch some tutorials - just playing with it I doubt I will scratch the surface of what it can do!

Thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

Ah, well if you are talking about Silver Efex Pro, they also do a "plug-in" for Lightroom that is almost identical to the Aperture version. In each case, while Nik call them "plug-ins" for marketing purposes, these are separate (and sophisticated) programs that are launched from LR/Ap just like you can launch Photoshop.

Lightroom also has Develop presets and templates - you see these in the left panel of Develop. These are like Lightroom recipes and were what I was talking about. There are sites offering hundreds of these and which are happy to take away from you your money and your creativity!

The Julianne Kost videos at Adobe are very good.

John

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 07:20:55 pm »

Hi,

I have recently bought a copy of Lightroom 3 and I am really enjoying it! I was wondering if there are any plug-ins that people recommend? I shoot mainly portraits so was wondering if anyone had used any plug-ins which are good for offering extra portrait profiles/controls.

Thanks

Hi Hannah,

Welcome to the forums.

I used to shoot a lof of kids portraits and found Portraiture by Imagenomic http://www.imagenomic.com/pt.aspx to be a wonderful pug in for Lightroom. It doesnt do anything you cant do in photoshop with masks and layers - but it does save a huge amount of time - and in the portrait processing game time is money. It offers a very good level of control for a given subject and can be easily tailored to a given style.

I dont shoot Kids portraits for money any more - but I do still use the plugin for photos of my own kids ;D

hope this helps.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 07:35:26 pm »

A friend is very keen on Portrait Professional http://www.portraitprofessional.com/ - very easy to set up as an external editor in Lightroom. I use (used) Imagenomic's Noiseware and would expect anything from them would be good.

John

HannahWebster

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:44:42 am »

Thank you everybody for your comments! Truly very helpful.

I think I will enjoy these forums!
Pages: [1]   Go Up