Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorry filters again  (Read 1135 times)

NigelC

Sorry filters again
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:18:27 am »

Just got/getting some new lenses and the old protectivce filter or not choice comes up. Particularly with Zeiss lenses, which are quite warm anyway, what is completely neutral i.e. purely for protection. Do Heliopan or B&W UV filters fit the bill,or do I need Hoya Pro 1 Digital protector. Wouldn't normally bother but do a lot of stuff on the shoreline with salt spray breaking over me.

alanscape

Re: Sorry filters again
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:27:37 am »

Yes indeed, the old 'chestnut'... well I have used the Hoya Super HMC UV(0) ever since they first came out (not the Pro 1 digital) and despite them being rather
difficult to clean as they're a bit matte in appearance, I find them excellent. I didn't like the Pro 1 digital or the B+W or Heliopan filters that I tested but that's
only my personal opinion... they may be more resiliant, I don't know.

I've attached a snap taken right into the sun... the SHMC handled it pretty well (sorry about the 'photograph'... not one of my better efforts but it illustrates the point).

A word of warning.... you're safe posting this question here but on less well informed forums it may promote the customary age-old storm that lasts for weeks!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:37:08 am by alanscape »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:02:35 am »

Hi,

I use B&W MRC filters almost exclusively. They also have a slim version that doesn't vignette on my wide angle lenses.

BR
Erik

Just got/getting some new lenses and the old protectivce filter or not choice comes up. Particularly with Zeiss lenses, which are quite warm anyway, what is completely neutral i.e. purely for protection. Do Heliopan or B&W UV filters fit the bill,or do I need Hoya Pro 1 Digital protector. Wouldn't normally bother but do a lot of stuff on the shoreline with salt spray breaking over me.
Erik Kaffehr

NigelC

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:16 am »

Thanks for responses
Pages: [1]   Go Up