Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon TSE 24 3.5mk2 and extension tubes  (Read 2974 times)

NigelC

Canon TSE 24 3.5mk2 and extension tubes
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:29:55 am »

If I use TSE 24mm (v2) with EF12mm extension tube, if I make use of the movements I would need to adjust exposure anyway. Using the lens unshifted/untilted, I understand the camera meter would adjust for the extension without having to use tables. But using movements and the extension tube....????? what tables do I use?

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: Canon TSE 24 3.5mk2 and extension tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:31:43 am »

As long as you are using the in-camera meter, the only thing you have to adjust for is the movement's effect on the lightmeter. Any exposure changes from the extension tube (magnification) would be "seen" by the in-camera lightmeter, so no other adjustments would be required.  I've done this (with the old 24TSE). You can focus right up to the front element! 

I think exposure adjustments are minimal for most movements.  The extension tube moves the lens away from the film / sensor plane, so the image circle gets even bigger.  It is easier to just look at the histogram and adjust if necessary. I found that even with film bracketing was the only real way to go.  The whole metering problem with movements is because the mirror & meter do not see the same image as the film/sensor plane.  But if there are bright and dark areas in the scene, then you don't really know which part the meter is seeing.  The meter could under or over expose the scene depending on what areas of the image are missing the meter but hitting the film/sensor plane.

Dave

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:48 am »

The close focussing on the MkII is already verging on ridiculous - you need to take off the lens hood and be VERY careful not to bump the front element.
How close do you need to go?

NigelC

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »

The close focussing on the MkII is already verging on ridiculous - you need to take off the lens hood and be VERY careful not to bump the front element.
How close do you need to go?

Well I haven't got it yet but I hadn't originally realised what magnification ratio it could achieve; that opens up new applications I didn't originally have in mind for this lens. W/o tube closest focus is 21cm @ .34x. With 12mm tube it will go to 0.85x-0.5x so should have some way to go without "bumping front element"

Nacnud

• www.wild-landscapes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:27:11 am »

I had to check I wasn't going mad... I'm not.

Here's a review that backs up my own impressions.
"A .34x MM (Maximum Magnification) value is great for any non-1x-macro lens, but especially impressive for a 24mm wide angle lens. Close-ups at this focal length provide a dramatic perspective of the up-close subject. Remember that minimum focus distances are measured from the sensor plane - subtract the length of the lens + part of the camera body to get the working distance. I'll just say that, especially with the lens hood installed, it is hard to prevent the lens from shading part of the subject at this distance. I love the close-up capabilities of this lens - Just be aware of the potential issue. "

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:02:22 am »

I had to check I wasn't going mad... I'm not.

Here's a review that backs up my own impressions.
"A .34x MM (Maximum Magnification) value is great for any non-1x-macro lens, but especially impressive for a 24mm wide angle lens. Close-ups at this focal length provide a dramatic perspective of the up-close subject. Remember that minimum focus distances are measured from the sensor plane - subtract the length of the lens + part of the camera body to get the working distance. I'll just say that, especially with the lens hood installed, it is hard to prevent the lens from shading part of the subject at this distance. I love the close-up capabilities of this lens - Just be aware of the potential issue. "

Ah yes from the sensor plane! Of course you are right - 21cm would bring front element v.close, given how big the lens is (for a 24mm).
Pages: [1]   Go Up