Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic LX5 good choice for low light PaS dance pics?  (Read 4106 times)

TinaMarie

Panasonic LX5 good choice for low light PaS dance pics?
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:16:45 am »

My goals are to be able to take the best possible pictures of my daughter and our many friends who belly dance, and it would be a bonus if I could get halfway decent video for 2-3 minute clips.  I currently have a Cannon Powershot G3, but I just can't seem to get a decent low light picture out of it.  Lots of red and/or blurred shots, max ISO is 400.  I've been playing with the settings but haven't been able to get good low light still shots.

I have a $500 budget so a DSLR isn't an option for me.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and the LX5 "appears" to be the best fit for what I'm trying to achieve.

Anyone confirm agree or offer another alternative?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

TinaMarie

Sussex Landscapes

• Sussex Landscape Photography
Re: Panasonic LX5 good choice for low light PaS dance pics?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:35:07 am »

i looked at the lx5 when i was looking fo a compact. eventully i went with the original GF1, as i was most impressed by its ability of its speed in focusing in low light and the file quality at high ISO. i also felt that for my hands atleast the lx5 was to small and fidly.
there are a couple of good websites that show the raw files for you to play with, http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_gf1_review/sample_images/

simon
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:39:16 am by Sussex Landscapes »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:55:43 pm »

Up to ISO 800-1600, the IQ on the LX-5 is useable, IMO.

However, there's a little shutter lag and it seems to like to refocus on every pix, but it may be just the way I have it set. It does have manual focus and that may speed up the lag. As for ISO, if you shoot raw, you can fix some of the noise that you'll get in the ISO 800 plus speeds.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Peter_DL

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:26 pm »

>> Re: Panasonic LX5 good choice for low light ...<<

Probably not.
Click on SNR 18% here, move the cursor along the green to red band.

Peter

--

JBerardi

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:05:15 pm »

I have a $500 budget so a DSLR isn't an option for me.

TinaMarie

If I was trying to shoot dance on that budget, I'd get a used or refurbished DSLR for $350-400 (not hard to find, this would be a good choice, for example) and slap a $100 plastic-fantastic 50mm prime on there. The DSLR is going to be dramatically better in terms of it's image quality in low light, and it's ability to autofocus on fast-moving action, both critical for shooting dance.

Lightsmith

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:06 am »

You will be wiser to invest in a decent video light. You can get a 20 Watt light for under $80 (plus the cost of the batteries) that will give you up to 15 minutes of light for video.

Always better to get the light level as high as possible regardless of the camera being used.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 04:21:43 am »

If I was trying to shoot dance on that budget, I'd get a used or refurbished DSLR for $350-400 (not hard to find, this would be a good choice, for example) and slap a $100 plastic-fantastic 50mm prime on there. The DSLR is going to be dramatically better in terms of it's image quality in low light, and it's ability to autofocus on fast-moving action, both critical for shooting dance.
Ditto ; and you even may be able to find a refurb or 2nd hand T1i with video (barely) within the budget.
A sony NEX-3 may also fit the bill, or without video an alpha 230 eg is cheaper than a LX5.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:13 am »

The LX cameras are fantastic - and definitely worth the investment. I shoot with this when I don't have my DSLR's with me - and have sold prints shot with the LX3.  I will give you some some options as a filmmaker that will possibly work ( I don't know how big an area or how big the room is where dancing occurs), and work for your budget. With the lighting situations you describe - you need to light the areas "reasonably".  As these are belly dancing scenes - you don't want them to seem overly lit.  You could by a couple of inexpensive halogen (500 w nad stands) work lights and "bounce" the light off the ceiling with one, and mount the other high up and illuminating downward on the area of dance.  I would add diffusion filter gel and a 1/4 CTB gel over the front of each light so it's not to harsh and too orange.  You can put your LX on a cheap tripod for some recording to eliminate movement from "handholding" if you want.  You can get some really great results with this setup and using the LX3/5.  If you have other questons, don't hesitate to ask.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up