Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6  (Read 3805 times)

robgo2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 387
    • Robert Goldstein Photography
CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« on: January 23, 2011, 01:40:55 pm »

I am having real problems running CS5, since I updated my OS to 10.6.6.  The longer that CS5 remains open and the more images that I edit, the slower it runs.  Simple tasks end up taking a very long time to complete.  What is more, my whole operating system seems to slow down.  At times, I hear the hard drive grinding away continuously for several minutes, even though I am not actually doing anything on my computer.  The only solution is to shut down and reboot.  At first, I thought that the problem may have been related to Capture One 6, but I find that it persists even after C1 has been closed.

I have run Drive Genius, and there does not seem to be a problem with permissions or any other such stuff.

Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone have any suggestions as to to how I should deal with it?

Thanks,
Rob
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »

Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone have any suggestions as to to how I should deal with it?

Well, some additional info would be good...what CPU? How much ram? How much allocated to CS5? Where's your scratch disk? Same or different from your boot drive? Have you updated CS5 to 12.0.2? Are you running with OpenGL on or off? What 3rd party plug-ins? Do you have tons of font? Have you tried creating a new user to test CS5 performance?
Logged

robgo2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 387
    • Robert Goldstein Photography
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:47:02 am »

Well, some additional info would be good...what CPU? How much ram? How much allocated to CS5? Where's your scratch disk? Same or different from your boot drive? Have you updated CS5 to 12.0.2? Are you running with OpenGL on or off? What 3rd party plug-ins? Do you have tons of font? Have you tried creating a new user to test CS5 performance?

Wow, I'm not sure that I can answer all of those questions.  I am using the latest version of CS5.  Total system RAM in 9Gb with 5.9Gb allocated to PS.  Open GL is on.  My scratch disk is the same as the boot drive.  Image files are on a separate hard drive.  I have most of the Nik plug-ins as well as Topaz InFocus, Topaz DeNoise and Genuine Fractals.  I have never added fonts.  I have not tried to create a new user, nor am I sure how to go about that.  I have not experienced this slow-down problem with these same plug-ins until very recently.

Rob
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:44 am »

I have not experienced this slow-down problem with these same plug-ins until very recently.
So, what's changed?

And as for the "latest version" of CS5, are you absolutely sure it's version 12.0.2 for Mac? This is pretty fundamental and saying you've got the most recent version ain't the same as specifying exactly what version you are using, ya know? You are updated to 12.0.2 on Mac, right? Don't make us guess...
Logged

robgo2

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 387
    • Robert Goldstein Photography
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »

So, what's changed?

And as for the "latest version" of CS5, are you absolutely sure it's version 12.0.2 for Mac? This is pretty fundamental and saying you've got the most recent version ain't the same as specifying exactly what version you are using, ya know? You are updated to 12.0.2 on Mac, right? Don't make us guess...

It is v.12.0.2 x 64.

I don't know of anything else that has changed other than the updated Mac OS.

Rob

Logged

cyeh01

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 28
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »

Hmm... I'm on 12.0.2. Feels normal enough. It's supposed to get slower when you open a ton of files though :) I was recently playing around with my cache tile sizes. Made a huge difference. Even though I shoot 31MP files from the H3DII, I found that a 128KB tile size was better than a 1028KB tile size on my system.

Is your boot disk fragmented or almost full? Since you're scratching off of your boot disk perhaps that's a problem? And in the event you've played around with cache tile sizes, try putting it back to default? I scratch on an SSD separate from my boot disk. That being said, sometimes I get the spinning rainbow ball when it's waiting for my external HD (Drobo) to spool up even though my work in Photoshop does not involve the Drobo at all in any way shape or form.

Cheers!

_____________________________________
Charles Lucima
www.lucima.com
Fashion | Editorial | Beauty
Fashion B&W Workshop February 26th, 2011!
Logged

bradleygibson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 828
    • http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:58 pm »

Rob,

I'm running the same versions as you on OS X 10.6.6, and am not experiencing these issues.  I know that doesn't help you solve your issue, but it does mean that whatever is happening is not only CS5 and 10.6.6.  Does your system have any antivirus software running that you could temporarily disable?  There may be an interaction involving that.
Logged
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: CS5 does not like Mac OS 10.6.6
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:40:06 pm »

Is anyone else having this problem, and does anyone have any suggestions as to to how I should deal with it?

Adobe posted a tech note about some issues with the way some plug-ins have been installed when with the Extension Manager CS5 and using the Optional Extension Plug-ins...see if this applies: Photoshop CS5 lags, is sluggish, slow, or has poor performance | Mac OS
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up