Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Colorbase, Epson 4900 and Matte Black Ink  (Read 5344 times)

Shane Webster

Colorbase, Epson 4900 and Matte Black Ink
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:20:15 am »

Does anyone have successful experience with the above combination?

I've just set up a new, networked 4900 and installed drivers and related software on a MacPro using the latest OS. I've also downloaded the update files from Epson's US website and ColorBase 2.50. I switched to matte black but ColorBase defaults to photo black with the drop-down greyed out and no ability to select fine art paper to force a change (this works in PS).

I originally switched inks prior to installing in OS so I shut the computer down, switched to photo, rebooted and switched back to matte. No luck. The driver knows it's in matte black mode but not ColorBase. I've also updated the printer info from within ColorBase but no change. ColorBase does, however, know my 7880 has matte black ink. Oh yes, I've also trashed ColorBase's preferences but no change. If anyone has success or ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Shane Webster

Re: Colorbase, Epson 4900 and Matte Black Ink
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:33:42 am »

Well, I have now confirmed, contrary to what I previously thought, that the issue is not limited to ColorBase.  My PS experiment was with roll paper selected.  If I select sheet paper, all matte black paper is grayed out along with the ink type drop down box.  If roll is selected, I can select a matte black paper and the ink box becomes active until I select sheet (the issue also affects other programs).  At least now Epson America will provide support and I will not have to utilize Epson UK support online chat time.  I've re-set all printers and reinstalled the 4900 but nothing changed.  Later today I am going to try to connect via USB and see if it changes anything.

Shane Webster

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »

I'm now back to my original post issue.  After calling Epson USA support with the general application issue, I was told they've received many phone calls regarding the issue and it's a case of the driver trying to protect me from myself.  I read the manual and it stated that I could not use fine art paper in the Cassette Tray.  Fine.  I didn't notice/realize when I selected "Sheet," that the Cassette tray was selected, which will prevent you from selecting a fine art paper upon which to print (just in case you didn't read the manual).  Once I selected "Manual," I was able to select any paper and the black ink changed.  Unfortunately, my problem with ColorBase remains.  I installed the Windows version to see if it works and the Windows version, unlike the Mac OS version, lists all the Epson paper available and the black ink changes or becomes ungrayed depending upon the paper selection.  The mac version of Colorbase does not list all paper choices so I'm back to chatting tomorrow with Epson UK--unless someone has gotten it to work with their system and can shed light on my situation.

Shane Webster

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:38:50 am »

Judging from the large success stories, I'll presume no one is yet using ColorBase on a Mac along with a 4900.  However, someone else may come along with a similar setup so I thought I would provide an update.  I chatted with Epson UK late last week and was informed that the issue was something their business unit needed to discuss, they needed to run some tests and would get back with me.  My hope is they ran a similar setup, the problem repeated itself and they are working on a fix.  In the meantime, I printed a test chart from windows, read it, generated a calibration file and imported it on the mac side.  Unfortunately, ColorBase 2.50 thought the file used PB ink and did not retrieve the paper type or resolution from the file.  I also tried moving various definition files from the 2.50 package to the 2.40 package but could never get 2.40 to recognize the 4900 driver.

ewedmondson

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:18:19 pm »

Hi Shane-
I was curious if you ever got to the bottom of this problem.  I'm having a similar issue, and had the exact same conversation with Epson UK this morning.  Something tells me I won't be hearing back from them.
My problem is with an 11880 only displaying premium luster in Colorbase, all other options are gone.  Before I upgraded to snow leopard everything was working properly...

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:28:48 am »

I don't recall seeing the original post.  But, on OS X, you will likely find that you need to have matte black selected in the printer for the driver to recognise that and let you make matte black related choices.
Phil Brown

ewedmondson

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:26:30 pm »

Thanks for the response!  That may be the ticket for the original poster, my problem seems to be different though, as all matte and photo black options have disappeared (except luster), regardless of the media setting on the printer.  I'm thinking mine must be a driver issue or something...

macgriz

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 06:03:22 pm »

Same issue...when printing from photoshop I cannot select media type or Matte black. Trying to print Epson Watercolor Radiant White. Any advice?

Farmer

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 11:40:42 pm »

Is your printer set to matte black?  It needs to be for OS X to allow you to access matte media types.
Phil Brown

macgriz

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 11:44:49 pm »

Thanks for the reply....yes it is.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 12:12:05 am »

Same issue...when printing from photoshop I cannot select media type or Matte black. Trying to print Epson Watercolor Radiant White. Any advice?

Pretty poor form to pile on to an old posts...

You would do better to post a new topic and be sure to include ALL useful info such as printer, platform, OS, driver version, paper feed path...the basics that are needed for troubleshooting. Otherwise you are expecting way too much for people to guess what your problem really is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up