Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem working with LX-5 RW2 files  (Read 6617 times)

expatjoe

Problem working with LX-5 RW2 files
« on: January 13, 2011, 04:38:11 pm »

I've been playing with the new LX-5 and my PS3 Camera Raw won't recognize the RW2 file so I can't work with them.  The camaraRAW plug-in I'm using is version 4.6.  I've checked and it won't update to the newer version.  I need to work with these files so I have a few questions.

Do I have to upgrade to PS5 so I can get the newer version?  If so, I'm thinking of buying Lightroom or Aperture instead since I don't really need all the Photoshop functions, less expensive and cheaper upgrades.

I don't take pictures for a living but like enjoying my hobby and making a few bucks when I can.

Thoughts appreciated.

Richowens

Re: Problem working with LX-5 RW2 files
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »

Download the free DNG convertor, convert your files to DNG and open them in your current ACR.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/index.html

Rich

expatjoe

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »

Well that didn't work - I might need to check some settings.  Trying to open that file caused Bridge to crash and Photoshop said it didn't recognize the file.  Tried by .dng and .DNG to see if it made a difference, it didn't. 

sniper

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 08:19:56 am »

You need dng converter 6.3   http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=4924&fileID=4585 but you need camera raw plug-in 4.6 (the 6.3 plug-in won't work in cs3)then cs3 should open your converted dng's.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 04:24:53 pm »

The DNG solution is a decent workaround, though at the cost of an additional step (for those who don't make this conversion in their normal workflow.)

Let me point out, though, that the newest version of the Camera Raw and Lightroom processing engine is significantly better than the old one. I had this point driven home to me last night, when I processed a raw photo from my GF1 shot at ISO 800. I have Photoshop CS4 on my computer at home, as well as Lightroom 3. Note that CS4 uses the older Camera Raw, while LR3 is up to date.

So without thinking, in a hurry, I just opened the file into ACR, rather than waiting to import into Lightroom. Made some small adjustments, opened the file into Photoshop, and -- what's this? The noise levels in the shadow areas are AWFUL. Terrible. Not what I have ever seen from this camera. Unusable. So I imported the shoot into Lightroom, and noticed that the Calibration tab had Process 2003. Changed that to Process 2010 and suddenly everything was wonderful again. Much smoother noise pattern in the shadows. Much happier photographer.

So yeah, getting the latest Photoshop or Lightroom would be a step up. Something to think about. I'm starting to really like Lightroom (after ten years of Photo Mechanic and ACR at work....)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

expatjoe

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:02:23 pm »

Okay thanks.

I'm thinking of going with LR or Aperture so as to eliminate that dng step.  Still thinking though.  Thanks for the help and direction.  I recently sold most of my photo equipment and only have the LX-5 now. Might be a good time to upgrade programs.

Peter_DL

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 02:12:31 pm »

The DNG solution is a decent workaround, ...

Let me point out, though, that the newest version of the Camera Raw and Lightroom processing engine is significantly better than the old one...

In this constellation: "new camera, but older version of ACR",
conversion to a linear DNG can be an option. From what I understand, the latest DNG converter applies the latest demosaicing algorithm.

Peter

--
Pages: [1]   Go Up