Are there as many head and head clogging issues with the 24-44" canon or hp printers in comparison to the epsons?
HP and Canon use "bubble jet" technology (thermal) heads (originally designed by Canon). For HP and Canon, printer heads are considered "replacement parts" that wear out. Canon sells head replacements that are basically 2 heads for quite a bit of money originally $600 per head times 2, I think they've dropped that price. HP designed the heads to be, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) color pairs which cost maybe $40-50/head pair?
Epson uses a piezoelectric head technology which is fundamentally different than thermal ejection of the ink droplets...the nozzle size of the Epson is smaller than Canon/HP. For the 49/79/9900 printers, there are 360 nozzles/inch. The older Epson heads had 180 and I think the HP/Canon has 150 nozzles/inch.
If you look at the actual nozzle size (the little gate valve that the ink comes out from) Epson heads have had an advantage by producing smaller droplets than HP/Canon. The other advantage of Epson is the droplet formed by a piezoelectric head is very uniform and round. If you look at an HP/Canon, the droplets end up looking like splats instead of round droplets.
The bottom line is that Epson thin film piezo heads like the 49/79/9900 produce the smallest most uniform droplets. But...since the print head is an integrated unit that is not user replaceable, it's really important to make sure the nozzles are clear when printing. Which means nozzle cleaning...
HP/Canon heads come with a lot of spare nozzles and when the printer detect a clog, the print remaps the nozzles on the fly. So, the net result is less apparent nozzle clogs but at the cost of giving up spare nozzles. Over time enough nozzles get mapped out to the point the head has no spares and you have to replace the head.
You can argue the net benefits of either technology...Epson has finer more accurate droplets which equals potentially finer gradations and detail while HP/Canon have less fine droplets that look like splats (which kinda helps with the lower nozzle/inch) and the advantage of replaceable heads after the nozzle count drops to a certain point.
Epson printers do real well when they print a lot...but, you need to clear the nozzles to print. HP/Canon will remap the nozzles (at the cost of losing some nozzles) and appear to have less clogs. Fact is, all nozzles clog in the heads of either technology. I don't know for a fact which clogs less. You tend to see it more with Epson and HP/Canon tend to hide it because of remapping (until you run out of nozzles).
Printers that are not running 24/7 tend to get nozzle clogs. Sometimes it's the actual physical nozzle that's clogged, sometimes it's an air bubble in the line (which can happen with either type of printers) and sometimes it's a head failure...
Temp and humidity all play a part as does actual use (and some papers are worse than others). Epson performs better the more you print with them. HP/Canon tend to perform better when printing is done in spurts (although you lose nozzles and shorten head life).
Pick your poison...if you print a lot and demand fine detail, Epson Pro printers are good...if you print in spurts, HP/Canon may have some advantages over time at the cost of head replacements.
There are currently 2 camps, HP/Canon and Epson. But from what I've heard and seen, HP is kinda pulling out of the pro inkjet printers for photo and going more into the printers for graphic arts. HP owns Indigo which does pretty darn good print on demand big run halftone printers...Canon is still hanging around and keeps making improvements (although their marketing is suspect IMHO).
Bottom line is that nozzle clogs are a fact of life for any inkjet printer...there are some things you can do to help like added humidity and more printing vs less. And I'll admit that some individual printer models tend to be better than others regardless of the manufacturer. The Epson 3800 and 3880 for example are hands down great printers. I have a 9900 that I like (which I don't print on nearly enough so I have to do nozzle checks and cleaning before doing serious printing).
It's the whole "hate" thing of the thread title that I guess bothered me...way too much hate going on in the world at the moment so maybe I'm a bit hyper sensitive when somebody yells hate (although I'll admit it got my attention :~)