Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Burzynski Ball Head vs. RRS BH-55, Z1, Q20 for Hand-Challenged. Oh no, Arthritis  (Read 20121 times)

shadesofgray

*UPDATE*

Hi all, After considering your helpful feedback and doing a bit more on-line searching, I've changed my original ball head choice and am comparing the Arca-Swiss Z1 and RRS BH-55. If you want to bypass all of the intermediate posts, you can find my reasons for this change in the post dated Jan 16. at 15:29.

* End of Update *

Hello all,
Let me first say that I am a newbie to this forum so please understand and educate me if I violate any kind of protocol. I have written a novel (at the risk of boring you) below because I know that asking a question and providing too little background can be annoying to those trying to help.

I am interested in the 70mm Burzynski ball head, but probably for different reasons than many of you. I am looking for a ball head that can be locked firmly in place without too much hand force. This is because I have just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and I am tiny jointed to begin with. (It is the lesser form of arthritis, so I’m relieved about that.) However, I am looking for ways around this disability so that I can continue photographing. Giving up photography is not an option and too sad to contemplate.  :( Arthritis is supposedly not uncommon, so perhaps this thread may someday help others.

I understand that the Burzynski ball head is heavy, but thankfully my girlie arms and hands have decent muscle strength. The issue is primarily with twisting my hands and fingers, which stresses the little joints. Pinching and gripping tightly can cause damage. I also cannot hold my wrists cocked backwards for long which can happen if it takes awhile to precisely position a camera with mid-sized telephoto lens and external flash.

How will I use this gear?
  • I don’t plan to walk far from the car. No hiking.
  • I expect the load (camera/lens/flash) to range from 6 to 8 lbs (~3 to 4 kg).
  • No super-teles on this system. I know these heads are geared for heavier loads, but hoping they can accommodate medium loads
  • This will be a multi-purpose system, also including macro where stability is desirable.
  • The head will probably be on Gitzo Series 3 legs.  Probably the Systematic since it is more flexible. I think the Burzynski may also fit on the Series 3 Mountaineer???
  • I also plan to use lens tripod collars, when available, and if not, an L-bracket. Hopefully, this will reduce the 45 degree limitation of some heads.
  • I’m thinking of adding a RRS lever quick release clamp. Initially wanted the PCL-1 panning clamp, but it only comes with the screw-knob. Levers are easier on the joints than twisting knob-screws. My other plates are RRS so I best stick with one vendor.
  • I plan to work on a tripod 99.9% of the time.

ADVANTAGES:  :)
  • If I’m not mistaken, the large ball diameter will make fine adjustments easier on the fingers and lessen the chance of creep and flop.  ???
  • The reported stability and reduced vibrations of this head due to its design is also attractive.
  • I heard one does not need to apply lots of pressure to lock down the ball. With a small diameter, I believe more finger strength is required to make fine adjustments and securely tighten and re-tighten the head without creep and flop, resulting in increased stress and pain in the fingers. Please correct me if I’m off base on any of these points.

DISADVANTAGES:  :(
  • The disadvantages of the Burzynski are weight and cost, but I rationalize that the long-term cost of healthcare will exceed any incremental cost of the ball head. And then there are quality-of-life issues.
  • Can any of you who have used or tried the Burzynski ball head shed light on other disadvantages? For example, will it work OK with only 8 lbs (4 kg) compared to other ball heads?
  • Any concerns shipping from Isarfoto’s Partner in France to the U.S.?  Any estimate on shipping and add-on costs? I read that parcel post will reduce costs somewhat.  ???
  • How well does this ball hold up after years of usage? Any required maintenance?

Curious to know if the Burzynski is also susceptible to falling out of the Gitzo spider mount if the bolt is slightly loose. Of course this is not a problem with the head, per se.

To summarize my requirements (stated relative to other ball heads):
  • Easy on hands to make fine adjustments to ball head position.
  • Able to tighten ball head with low to moderate force.
  • Less chance of flop when the head is not tightened.
  • Less chance of creep after locking.
  • Works well with 6 - 8 lbs (~3 – 4 kg) load.

I’d appreciate any additional comments on how the BH-55, Acra-Swiss Z1 or Markins Q20 performs and possibly compares based on these requirements and constraints. It would be great if you could indicate whether your feedback applies to handling medium loads of 6 lbs ~ 3 kg.

That’s all I can think of (as if this is not already lots)  ;D. As you can see, I’m quite motivated (desperate) and have been distilling what I can from the Internet. Thanks for reading through this long-winded thread and thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers, Charlene  :)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:40:22 pm by shadesofgray »
Charlene

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust

Hi Charlene,

I use a Burzsynski head on my Gitzo. If you take the systematic it falls right in between the legs. The ball head takes large weights effortlessly. It has big knobs that are smooth to operate and do not need much force to tighten. Fingers can be used to tighten the head.

An image tells maybe more.

I also use the PCL-1 panning clamp and a RRS L-Bracket. This head is now 5 years old and still feels as new. I am quite anal about taking care of my equipment but do use it often. I only clean the ballhead with a cloth when it gets dirty I haven't done anything else with it in the last 5 years.

The legs are the GT3540XLS. Make sure you get the new Gitzo legs (not so new by now anymore BTW). The old legs (particularly the locks) used to cramp my hands, my hands are kind of messed up after playing 15 years of baseball.

The head (mine anyway) is fixed really tight into the Gitzo.

I have been told that Isarphoto charges quite a lot to ship. If that is the case send me a PB and I can see if I can help you. Normally it would take no more than about 30euros to ship. I would suggest contacting Klaus Bothe from Isarphoto in Germany.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:00:24 pm by Dustbak »

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/

Without knowing much about the Burzynski head, one thing comes to mind though. If your arthritis bothers you with twisting motions - the Burzynski may not help you much...it looks like it has the same twisting motion required to loosen/tighten. It may be easier or better than others - but the actions are still the same kind, and from what I understand, your condition may not necessarily remain the same...You may have a difficulty with it some day, and you may be out again looking for something else or give up using tripod all together...

Have you looked at the Pistol grip heads? You can possibly remove/customize the quick release with arca-swiss compatible if you dont like bogen kind...Here are some examples: http://www.manfrotto.com/product_list/8374.31708.76901.0.0/Joystick

I know someone who has this issue and enjoys using the joystick...she says it works great for her...She also uses manfrotto legs because they offer flip locks (easier on the hands) on all their models and not twist locks to extend/collapse like Gitzo (or clones).

Just my 2 cents.
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

shadesofgray

Hi Dustbak,

Thank you for replying and posting a clear image of the head, in fact in the exact system that I am envisioning.

When you say "The ball head takes large weights effortlessly", does that imply it also handles lighter weights (4 kg) as effortlessly? Not to be funny, just making sure I'm not just interpreting what I am hoping for.  :)

I may take you up on your generous offer to help if I decide on this head. Perhaps it's a matter of communicating with the reseller on shipping options. Terminology may differ across countries and the default might be the fastest and most expensive.

Thanks again!
Charlene

Charlene

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust

Charlene,

I expect Mr. Bothe to be really helpful. I have never experienced him being otherwise. It is just that I heard from someone once that got a ridiculous quote for shipping (which if I am not mistaken was via the French office).

Yes, also light loads are no problem. The head itself feels kind of silky smooth when tightening and loosening the load on top. You get a feel on how far you need to tighten real quickly. I often loosen one knob until I can move the body freely but still with the feeling of having some friction. 

I also use it with my Nikon D700 with Zeiss ZF lenses (if that is light enough for you). I cannot really tell if it makes a lot of difference, both work fine. Actually the H4D with a 50-110 is appr. 4,5Kg which also handles nicely.

shadesofgray

Thanks, Umesh,

Without knowing much about the Burzynski head, one thing comes to mind though. If your arthritis bothers you with twisting motions - the Burzynski may not help you much...it looks like it has the same twisting motion required to loosen/tighten.

Yes, I believe you're correct. One thing I thought of was a DIY lever attached to the knobs. The flower-shape of these knobs might work better with such an attachment than on the smooth round knobs of other models.

It may be easier or better than others - but the actions are still the same kind, and from what I understand, your condition may not necessarily remain the same...You may have a difficulty with it some day, and you may be out again looking for something else or give up using tripod all together...

I was initially hoping to make a one-time ideal investment, but I may have no choice but to sell and buy again as my situation changes. Perhaps someone is working on an electronic ballhead that is controlled from a wireless electronic joystick? With the huge photography base of users heading into the future, such an invention might be quite popular. If anyone out there is working on it, I will volunteer to beta test it for you.  ;)

Have you looked at the Pistol grip heads? You can possibly remove/customize the quick release with arca-swiss compatible if you dont like bogen kind...Here are some examples: http://www.manfrotto.com/product_list/8374.31708.76901.0.0/Joystick

I know someone who has this issue and enjoys using the joystick...she says it works great for her...She also uses manfrotto legs because they offer flip locks (easier on the hands) on all their models and not twist locks to extend/collapse like Gitzo (or clones).

I heard of the pistol grip heads as a way to switch to portrait without an L-bracket. I will check it out as an alternative. They seem to handle more load than the joystick and also have a lower center of gravity.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Charlene
Charlene

shadesofgray

I expect Mr. Bothe to be really helpful. I have never experienced him being otherwise. It is just that I heard from someone once that got a ridiculous quote for shipping (which if I am not mistaken was via the French office).

Sometimes the specific person from the store makes a huge difference in the user experience. I'll be sure to contact him.

Yes, also light loads are no problem. The head itself feels kind of silky smooth when tightening and loosening the load on top. You get a feel on how far you need to tighten real quickly. I often loosen one knob until I can move the body freely but still with the feeling of having some friction. 

I also use it with my Nikon D700 with Zeiss ZF lenses (if that is light enough for you). I cannot really tell if it makes a lot of difference, both work fine. Actually the H4D with a 50-110 is appr. 4,5Kg which also handles nicely.

Thanks for verifying that. It's great you are satisfied with your system.  :)

~Charlene
Charlene

shadesofgray

The legs are the GT3540XLS. Make sure you get the new Gitzo legs (not so new by now anymore BTW). The old legs (particularly the locks) used to cramp my hands, my hands are kind of messed up after playing 15 years of baseball.

Thanks, I am guessing you are referring to the anti-rotation g-locks??? I will probably use the GT3530S.

Sorry to hear about the baseball injuries. Sports can be pretty rough on the body. I fell enough times on my hands while snowboarding. Maybe that has something to do with it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:32:18 pm by shadesofgray »
Charlene

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust

Yes, I meant the g-locks. BTW. I am pretty sure you should not pay the VAT when ordering for the US. Ask for a price quote without VAT, this should save you appr. 19%.

brianrybolt

In terms of unit price & shipping please look at the following:  http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/ballhead/

Scroll down to "Comments"

Best,

Brian

ThomasPoeschmann

• elbsandsteinfoto.de

The BH-55 requires a certain force to lock that increases more as you tighten the ball. I use an Arca Z1 where the force does not increase.

I do not know about the Q-20.

Please notice that due to current alerts all US incoming parcels will be inspected from the authorities. A friend's BH-55 send in for a repair is stucked in US customs for weeks now :'(

Another friend of mine in Germany currently sells a Burzynski head for Series 3 (70 mm, older Version ).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:45:50 am by ThomasPoeschmann »

shadesofgray

The BH-55 requires a certain force to lock that increases more as you tighten the ball. I use an Arca Z1 where the force does not increase.

Please notice that due to current alerts all US incoming parcels will be inspected from the authorities. A friend's BH-55 send in for a repair is stucked in US customs for weeks now :'(

Unfortunate, but it's good to know these things.

Another friend of mine in Germany currently sells a Burzynski head for Series 3 (70 mm, older Version ).

Is the 70 mm the older version? If so, then I'm mistaken and it might not be the right version to order.

Thanks for your reply.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 02:50:36 pm by shadesofgray »
Charlene

shadesofgray

Yes, I meant the g-locks. BTW. I am pretty sure you should not pay the VAT when ordering for the US. Ask for a price quote without VAT, this should save you appr. 19%.

Thanks for that info on the VAT. Every bit of savings is helpful!  :)
Charlene

shadesofgray

In terms of unit price & shipping please look at the following:  http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/ballhead/

Scroll down to "Comments"

Best,

Brian

Thanks for directing  me to the Comments, Brian.  Some helpful pointers there and I'm glad to hear the proprietor at the French store is good to deal with and that he speaks excellent English. Wonderful to have options.  :)
Charlene

marcmccalmont

I have owned the Burzynski and the RRS BH-55 and because of the knob design the BH-55 is easier to tighten
I use the Burzynski with my medium format gear because of it's extra mass and low center of gravity. But for your use the RRS would work better. By the way my aunt always rubbed Vaseline ( petrolium jelly) on her arthritic joints and it reversed the arthritis for what it's worth. Ski lift mechanics rub a dab of Vaseline on their hands before exposing them to the cold metal, they say it prevents arthritis. Ever know an auto mechanic with arthritis? Nope because their hands are in petroleum products all day.
Marc 
Marc McCalmont

tsjanik

Charlene:

You may wish to examine the Arca-Swiss Z1, mentioned by Thomas. I have no experience with the heads you’ve listed, but I have the Z1, an Acratech Ultimate and a cheap Benro something.  The difference in the amount of force required to lock the Z1 and the other two is quite substantial.  The aspherical ball of the Z1 allows the camera to be very secure with little tightening force.  I’ve used it with a Pentax 67II and a 500mm lens with no problem. I can easily secure the camera and lens such that there is no creep, yet repositioning is easy.
The Z1 weighs about one pound. You can use a RRS release clamp on this as well, which may be a better choice than the rather awkward AS version.
You can order one from B&H and return it if not to your liking.

ThomasPoeschmann

• elbsandsteinfoto.de

Is the 70 mm the older version? If so, then I'm mistaken and it might not be the right version to order.

No. The new version of the head was, according to my information, introduced in 2009. It is called "Kugelkalottenkopf II" and is 25% lighter than its predecessor. The weight should be 775 gram. The one that is sold new by Isarfoto/Klaus Bothe is this new version. The one sold by my friend is the old version I.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography

I have been using the RRS BH-55 LR for about a month now. It replaced my Gitzo ball head. The first thing I noticed was that the amount of tightening of the main knob is minimal to lock the head in place. It locks the ball in place without actually tightening down the knob. The pan knob is smaller, but has the same feature (minimal tightening to lock the position).

Really Right Stuff has a great return policy. They're very knowledgable and helpful. If you buy & try, you're only out the cost of shipping.
~ CB

Peter McLennan

I have been using the RRS BH-55 LR for about a month now.

Me, too.  A few months into my BH55 and my only criticism is of me:  "Why did it take you so long?"  ::) 

This head is very easy to use.  The knobs require very little force to lock the head.  The pano head is an excellent tool if you do any stitching.  At first, I was wary of the screw-mount that's necessary with the pano head, but the dove-tail screw mount works fine, even with gloves.

shadesofgray

I have owned the Burzynski and the RRS BH-55 and because of the knob design the BH-55 is easier to tighten
I use the Burzynski with my medium format gear because of it's extra mass and low center of gravity. But for your use the RRS would work better. By the way my aunt always rubbed Vaseline ( petrolium jelly) on her arthritic joints and it reversed the arthritis for what it's worth. Ski lift mechanics rub a dab of Vaseline on their hands before exposing them to the cold metal, they say it prevents arthritis. Ever know an auto mechanic with arthritis? Nope because their hands are in petroleum products all day.
Marc 
Hi Marc,

That's very useful input, especially since you own both the Burzynski and RRS BH-55.

Thanks also for the tip on Vaseline. An inexpensive and safe remedy seems worth a try.  :)

Charlene
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up