Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR Surprise when converting Canon RAW  (Read 16627 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: ACR Surprise when converting Canon RAW
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »

I would not call it "very" different, but I see what you are saying… there is a difference.

Apparently, Adobe's approximation of Canon's Landscape mode is just that, an approximation. My suspicion is that ACR default Blacks (+5) is too strong in comparison to DPP. Perhaps by moving the slider to +2 or +3 would generate a much closer rendering. I could not confirm that in LR, as jpegs have zero as a default for Blacks, i.e., I could not lower the black point of a jpeg to prove my theory.

However, I did the following adjustments in LR to the jpeg ACR2:

- Fill Light +20
- Blacks +5
- Brightness +15
- Contrast −20

Taking into account that I am doing those adjustments to a jpeg, I believe the rendering is quite close, if not identical to the camera's jpeg:

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2011, 10:38:23 pm »

So you know the 'camera color spaces' which are used, respectively ?

In DPP it's possible to open the app folder and find various ICC camera profiles (a lot of 'em) but which is which I haven't a clue.

As for ACR, I recall Eric Chan indicating in these forums that the program uses a combination of Adobe "camera profiles" in relation to ProPhoto to develop a color image.
~ CB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 11:41:21 am »

Can you set camera profiles in Phooshop Elements 8 to more approximate in RAW what the OOC Jpeg would look like?  That would give a good starting point.

Peter_DL

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 01:20:16 pm »

In DPP it's possible to open the app folder and find various ICC camera profiles (a lot of 'em) but which is which I haven't a clue.

Interesting.
If there just would be a way to convert ICC profiles to DNG profiles (?),
then it could perhaps be possible to identify the right DPP ICC profile for the camera by deleting them successively from the DPP folder (test-wise),
and finally, in order to feed it - i.e. the rigth one converted to a DNG profile - into ACR/LR for comparison with the generic DNG profiles for the camera.

Peter

--

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »

If there just would be a way to convert ICC profiles to DNG profiles (?)

Barking up the wrong tree...ICC profiles really bare no relationship to DNG profiles. Completely different animals...

Peter_DL

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:05 pm »

...ICC profiles really bare no relationship to DNG profiles. Completely different animals...

Oh, thanks for confirmation.

Peter

--

Peter_DL

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 05:18:59 am »

I bring my RAWs into Lightroom/ACR very flat ... Adobe Standard Profile, no TC, no sliders .. with lens correction, Daylight WB and a light default sharpening ... that's my starting point.

Starting with such 'linear' rendition as well, I sometimes tend to end too flat after all editing because my mind keeps the flat starting point for reference. So I prefer to have the option to glance at the Jpg from in-camera processing. It is not necessarily about to mimic its look, but to produce a better rendition or at least not a worse one.

Peter

--

wkramer

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:51 am »

I have a Nikon and the only way to preserve many adjustments you make in the camera when shooting raw is to use Nikon's Capture NX2 to process the raw file and then convert it to something else for PP in Photoshop.  Bringing a NEF (Nikon Raw) file into ACR results in your presets being ignored.  I don't know if Canon has its own RAW editor program that also recognizes camera presets.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up