Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: attention color whizes: non-typical sRGB/RGB/ProPhoto question  (Read 228005 times)

tho_mas

Re: attention color whizes: non-typical sRGB/RGB/ProPhoto question
« Reply #540 on: January 08, 2011, 12:59:45 am »

Working spaces like Photogamut (if I understood what it was in my quick scan) can get away with a wider gamut because their primaries don't have to be real. ProPhotoRGB does this. But the down side is, if you can't reproduce the primaries, you can't reproduce the color; you can only model it.
makes sense - thank you!

Iliah

« Reply #541 on: January 08, 2011, 01:06:18 am »

> when we move from one color space to another, we want to preserve the appearance as much as possible most of the time.

Right. But more often than not we do not have the luxury of capturing neutrals across the scene as being true neutrals. Setting neutrals for one region in the scene may through other regions far off. Essentially that means that in our everyday photography we deal with captures that currently need manual adaptation while preserving natural appearance. So the situation presented here by Joofa is real, and I'm sure every nay-sayer realizes it by now. Why do they argue opposite is a different question, and it is in a domain different from photography or colour management.

tho_mas

« Reply #542 on: January 08, 2011, 01:18:32 am »

Considering what Bruce wrote, considering what the various utilities that plot gamuts, including Bruce’s show, considering that until I’m told otherwise, all applications TODAY that utilize these profiles follow the “logical” conversions Bruce recommends and some here have illustrated, its difficult for me to understand “the other sides” logic and persistence to accept their position.
well, Chromix Color Think's (non "pro") grapher does display the gamuts abscol in relation to D50 (i.e. D65 is not adapted to D50). That's how I made my gamut-comparisions above.
In that sense nothing about Joofa's findings is new (if I understand him correctly) - ProPhotos white is not contained in AdobeRGB's white.
(Likewise AdobeRGB's entire range from pure blue to white, pure cyan to white and pure magenta to white is also outside of ProPhoto).
Of course comparing two color space with different illuminants this way implies that one of the color spaces doesn't contain any white at all (i.e. when I look at AdobeRGB under D50 conditions the white is yellow).

broch

« Reply #543 on: January 08, 2011, 01:19:18 am »

Try taking a shot through a colour separation red filter and you will see what I mean.

it does not matter if this is green or red, people will still see yellow. While there are three types of cones, these respond to four basic colors indpendently.

Iliah

« Reply #544 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:26 am »

> people will still see yellow.

Too bad you do not read. I'm talking pre-capture filters and captured data here.

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #545 on: January 08, 2011, 01:25:59 am »

Speaking to you and Graystar, I'm not disagreeing with you that the accepted way is the 'right' way to do things 99.9% of the time.  It makes sense; when we move from one color space to another, we want to preserve the appearance as much as possible most of the time.  That doesn't mean that joofa doesn't have a point and that considering it might lead to an interesting discussion of when it might be a good idea NOT to use chromatic adaptation during color space conversions.  I don't see this as a black and white scenario (pardon the pun).

And that's how I read Bruce's comment.  99% of the time,  AdobeRGB is fully contained in ProPhoto RGB.  However, if you do a certain thing which has some large consequences (R=G=B is not neutral), it's not.  That certain thing is the example that joofa pointed out.

It's probably worth just putting this image out there for people to judge for themselves—if you are interested in the discussion, but you are not as you say 'in the industry' a visual sample might be informative. I'm just throwing it out in case a concrete example is useful.

The grey square on the right is roughly (given the vagaries of the internet) neutral grey defined with equal RGB values in AdobeRGB 1998. It should look achromatic. The square on the right is a conversion to ProPhotoRGB with no chromatic adaptation. You could achieve both these colors appearances with the same XYZ coordinates by changing the viewing conditions. But the question, the question this whole thread boils down to is: when you look at these patches under the same viewing conditions, like you are right now, are they the same color? In other words, do they look like the same color.

It was really hard to parse Joofa's meaning, but from what I could gather he wanted to build a case that if we call these two patches the same color, if we start from premise that is questionable at best, then the colors in the AdobeRGB space can be outside the ProPhotoRGB space. That's when all the analogies like "If my aunt had balls she's be my uncle came around." (If that's all I get out of this thread, it's worth it.) But they're not the same color unless you are willing to let XYZ coordinates override you eyes and brain and define color rather than model color. To do that is a misplaced concreteness ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reification_(fallacy) ).

There are times like when proofing one paper/device on a different paper device that you want to ignore white points and create color casts. It lets you do things like proof a dull paper on a bright one. But if you spend anytime working with digital imaging, you won't buy that argument in this case. The profiles in question represent working spaces. Which means they are abstract environments in which to work. The number Bruce Lindbloom gave: 99.9% is being generous. I can think of NO time when converting between working profiles that you don't want neutral to stay neutral. None. If it happens you assume something is broken.

So when Joofa shows us that, under a condition that should never be the case, a well-known fact is not true, you must be able to understand that he will be met with some pretty stiff resistance. When he is exceptionally cagey in his responses to questions and is unable to give a clear explanation of what he's doing, but insists that he is right and intimates that some well-respected members of this community don't know what they are doing, he becomes a troll.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:37:51 am by MarkM »

tgray

« Reply #546 on: January 08, 2011, 01:38:37 am »

Thanks for taking the time for typing that, but it really wasn't necessary.  While I'm not 'in the industry', I do have the necessary math background and have been through a couple books on color, vision, etc.  But no, I don't make my living at it :)

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #547 on: January 08, 2011, 01:46:45 am »

Thanks for taking the time for typing that, but it really wasn't necessary.  While I'm not 'in the industry', I do have the necessary math background  and have been through a couple books on color, vision, etc.  But no, I don't make my living at it :)

OK. I really didn't intend to be patronizing, especially since the theory and the math really aren't the central issue — I just wasn't sure where you were coming from.

Graystar

« Reply #548 on: January 08, 2011, 08:25:37 am »

That doesn't mean that joofa doesn't have a point
Actually that’s EXACTLY what it means.

And that's how I read Bruce's comment.  99% of the time,  AdobeRGB is fully contained in ProPhoto RGB.  However, if you do a certain thing which has some large consequences (R=G=B is not neutral), it's not.  That certain thing is the example that joofa pointed out.
What you’re failing to appreciate is the utter invalidity of an R=G=B that isn’t neutral.  It has only one meaning...that your conversion process is wrong.

ejmartin

« Reply #549 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:32 am »

Mark, since you're still around -- would you mind replying to reply #511?
emil

joofa

« Reply #550 on: January 08, 2011, 09:12:35 am »

Yes, you are 100% correct. I could demonstrate that on Joofa's own graph, but it's pointless because he does not want to commit to the method he is using. If I took the time to make a graph demonstrating this, he would simply say it isn't correct without further explanation. In other words it's a waste of time.

So when Joofa shows us that, under a condition that should never be the case, a well-known fact is not true, you must be able to understand that he will be met with some pretty stiff resistance. When he is exceptionally cagey in his responses to questions and is unable to give a clear explanation of what he's doing, but insists that he is right and intimates that some well-respected members of this community don't know what they are doing, he becomes a troll.

Mark, I have no personal vandetta against you. Because, if I did, then trust me you provided me with a wonderful opportunity to embarass you online with that proceedure of yours to determine gamuts, which was so patently incorrect and naive. See, you are trying too hard to give a certain impression (ref: having Fairchild's book on your nightstand). As, TGray noted, we should embrace all of the ensuing discussion with an open mind. Anybody can make a mistake, which includes you and me. But it is just a small discussion; our lives should not depend upon it.

Best regards,

Joofa
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:43:00 am by joofa »
Joofa
http://www.djjoofa.com
Download Photoshop and After Effects plugins

joofa

« Reply #551 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:37 am »

In the subsequent 2 pages of responses, of which you were a part of, you, digitaldog, and maybe a couple others tried to correct the mistake Iliah had made. Joofa will not consider any other process of converting the color.

This entire argument boils down to adaptation.  If you use adaptation, the blue is within Pro Photo, and if you don’t then it isn’t (or if you simply mess it up because you don’t realize what you’re doing on the calculator.)

Joofa doesn’t seem to care that the blue he started with appears different when trying to find its place in Pro Photo.  And that’s the core issue.  He only cares about numbers, and we care about the way the blue appears to a human.  It seems pointless to continue.

Haven't we seen that if we go Prophoto RGB (D50) to Adobe RGB (D65) then even with adaption certain colors fall outside gamut. So, there is a wider issue at hand.

Joofa
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:25:28 am by joofa »
Joofa

Graystar

« Reply #552 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:37 am »

Haven't we seen that if we go Prophoto RGB (D50) to Adobe RGB (D65) then even with adaption certain colors fall outside gamut. So, there is a wider issue at hand.

No, we haven't.  What we've seen is that with adaptation Adobe RGB is within Pro Photo.

The only time we see Adobe RGB outside of Pro Photo is when the illuminant for the XYZ space is switched.  Simply selecting a different illuminant for the XYZ space, in the middle of your conversions, is not adaptation...it's a mistake.

joofa

« Reply #553 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:53 am »

No, we haven't.  What we've seen is that with adaptation Adobe RGB is within Pro Photo.

The only time we see Adobe RGB outside of Pro Photo is when the illuminant for the XYZ space is switched.  Simply selecting a different illuminant for the XYZ space, in the middle of your conversions, is not adaptation...it's a mistake.

Please back and read tho_mas' message and read my response to him.

Joofa
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 09:44:19 am by joofa »
Joofa

Peter_DL

« Reply #554 on: January 08, 2011, 10:21:06 am »

The only time we see Adobe RGB outside of Pro Photo is when the illuminant for the XYZ space is switched.  Simply selecting a different illuminant for the XYZ space, in the middle of your conversions, is not adaptation...it's a mistake.

Again, there is no need to change the Ref. White setting. Leave it at D50 (or wherever),
but set Adaptation to None - right from the beginning. Interestingly enough BL's calculator offers this option.

Peter

--
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:20:00 am by Peter_DL »

tgray

« Reply #555 on: January 08, 2011, 10:24:22 am »

OK. I really didn't intend to be patronizing, especially since the theory and the math really aren't the central issue — I just wasn't sure where you were coming from.

I figured that and know you didn't mean it that way.  Maybe it helped someone else.  If we all were a bit less condescending in this thread and actually explained our points like you just did, we'd be better off.

Actually that’s EXACTLY what it means.

I'm quite aware of what it means.  And that's not it.

What you’re failing to appreciate is the utter invalidity of an R=G=B that isn’t neutral.  It has only one meaning...that your conversion process is wrong.

Your language is strong.  The utter invalidity?  While walking to my car last night, I looked out the building window.  The sun had set about 45 minutes earlier.  The snow on the ground look positively blue relative to the indoor environment I was in.  Last I checked, snow essentially is R=G=B.

Now, that's just an anecdote that may or may not relate to color spaces, but Mark already provided us with a scenario where you don't in fact use relative colorimetric.  Is his point 'utterly invalid'?

I'm guessing joofa would say that in his comparison #1 and implicit transformation, that no, the whites of the two systems aren't the same.  Instead of shouting, 'You're wrong!' which is what many people in this thread are doing, it'd be a lot more productive to say, 'You're right, but we hardly ever do your case #1; instead #2 is wanted most of the time.'  Furthermore, this discussion could more onto more interesting things like:

• Is chromatic adaption in a color model the same as color constancy in the visual system?
  • Are there cases when we don't actually want to apply a chromatic adaptation?  Iliah has mentioned yes several times.  How would one carry that out in practice?

I'd appreciate it if you'd give me a bit more credit for my thought processes.  It's funny how people jump on statements like, "I don't work in this industry," and over interpret that.  When I said that, and that I'm not an expert, I meant that I don't work in the color science industry, i.e. at Xrite, etc, and also that I haven't worked in research in the field for a living either.

bjanes

« Reply #556 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:54 am »

Digital cameras don't have a gamut, but rather a color mixing function. Basically, a color mixing function is a mathematical representation of a measured color as a function of the three standard monochromatic RGB primaries needed to duplicate a monochromatic observed color at its measured wavelength. Cameras don’t have primaries, they have spectral sensitivities

The point is that if you think of camera primaries you can come to many incorrect conclusions because cameras capture spectrally. On the other had, displays create colors using primaries. Primaries are defined colorimetrically so any color space defined using primaries is colorimetric. Native (raw) camera color spaces are almost never colorimetric, and therefore cannot be defined using primaries. Therefore, the measured pixel values don't even produce a gamut until they're mapped into a particular RGB space. Before then, *all* colors are (by definition) possible.

Although the forgoing is accepted dogma among color experts, there are some complications. The eye and the camera both have three sets of receptors, roughly red, blue, and green. Each set of receptors responds to a wide range of wavelengths (or else there would be gaps in color recognition). The responses of the eye and two representative cameras are shown. Human color perception is likewise a color mixing function. I once naively proposed on one of the Adobe forums, that if camera RGB filters were constructed to have the same spectral characteristics of the human cones, color reproduction could be improved.

Thomas Knoll replied that perfect reproduction does not require the same spectral response of the eye, but that filters fulfilling the Luther-Ives criteria would suffice. Unfortunately no such filters exist and there are additional complications involving imaginary colors and negativge color values (see the paper by Doug Kerr.

Furthermore, human vision is not strictly tri-stimulus and opponency is also involved. Some of this takes place in the retina through the action of bipolar cells, but some elements in the brain are likely involved.

I is not surprising that color reproduction with digital cameras is only approximate. Most raw converters assume that the camera does have a "raw space" and use matrix math to convert from the camera space to XYZ. The matrix coefficients are chosen to introduce the least error in reproduction of certain important colors such as skin tones and foliage. Use of nonlinear math rather than a matrix of linear equations could improve the situation once enough computing power is available.

Of course, color adaption is a further complication. How does it take place? In the retina by varying the responses of the sensors (perhaps by varying the synthesis of the photo pigments) or by a perceptual process? If the latter, is would be very difficult to measure perceptions.

Regards,

Bill

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #557 on: January 08, 2011, 11:32:07 am »

While walking to my car last night, I looked out the building window.  The sun had set about 45 minutes earlier.  The snow on the ground look positively blue relative to the indoor environment I was in.  Last I checked, snow essentially is R=G=B.

This is a good example of why numbers alone don’t really tell us a lot about color perception or for that matter color. Keep in mind that color is a perceptual properly. If you can’t see it, its not a color despite numbers.
Its not a particular wavelength of light. It is a cognitive perception that is the end result of the excitation of photoreceptors followed by retinal processing and ending in the visual cortex. Color is defined based upon perceptual experiments. A coordinate in a "colorspace" outside the spectrum locus is not a color although this is often referred to as "imaginary colors" (my color scientist tech editor tells me this is by and large also erroneous as you can't map an imaginary color from one colorspace to another as the math (and experimental data) for each  colorspace breaks down outside the spectrum locus).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

sandymc

« Reply #558 on: January 08, 2011, 11:38:56 am »

Use of nonlinear math rather than a matrix of linear equations could improve the situation once enough computing power is available.

That's already at least partially done - Camera profiles with "hue twists" are in effect doing a non-linear conversion.  You could conceive of a conversion with maths that entirely avoided the matrix step, but I've not seen any examples of such a conversion that offered significant advantages versus hue twists. Would be interested if someone did have such an example.

Sandy

Iliah

« Reply #559 on: January 08, 2011, 11:42:26 am »

Using twisted profiles, do you have colour shifts when changing the value of exposure correction slider?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35   Go Up