Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a tintype?  (Read 6783 times)

rastas

Is this a tintype?
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:27:44 pm »

This was shot by photographer Robert Maxwell. Wondering if it's a tintype. I've done alot of tintypes, but this looks almost too clean to be a tintype. Are there any alternative methods, films, printing techniques, etc to get this look?

LKaven

Re: Is this a tintype?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:20:43 am »

I was thinking this was just a medium/large format film negative using a film that has a sharp knee, such as Pan-F.

LKaven

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 02:44:40 am »

I see you got quite a bit more discussion on this subject at APUG, so I'm supplying the link for anyone who was curious about an answer to your question.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/85447-tintype.html

fredjeang

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:20:07 pm »

That could also be a gigabit looking at it at this magnification: http://www.gigabitfilm.de/html/english/menu.htm
Camera could be Leica or even some early Pentax-Takumar you can get this exact look.
I don't think this image is LF at all.
He definatly used Kino, I bet he simply used 3, one on each side and one on top, as John said, very close.
No, John is right, on top he filled with 2 strip lights.
It looks like the 2 top lights are not paralels but converged in one point.
IMO, the result of that is excellent on the face, but on the lowest part you can observe the "several dots" (sorry for my bad english) phenomenon
that looks like a panther skin. (at this level the 2 spots do not converge any more because the central point of the X is located on the face, so
you got each shoulder hitted by a ray). The 2 top lights could indeed be kino ring.
John's also right about the black flats on each side you can apreciate their effect.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:10:12 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up