Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 645D-an Amateur's first impressions  (Read 4184 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

645D-an Amateur's first impressions
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:04 pm »

I initially posted this over on the Pentax Forum, because I am a bit intimidated by the expertise of all the Pros here, but here goes:

Hi all:
Yes, I am an Amateur, but no stranger to big prints from MF negatives. Built my first darkroom in 1959, was making 16"x20" color prints by 1960, using "Kodak Color Print Material Type C" (It didn't even have a name). I used Hasselblad 500C, Pentax 6x7 and 645 cameras. Scanned negatives of those old shots using a Polaroid 4000 dpi 120 Sprintscan yield great 20"x30" prints.

Pentax has a winner here, as I believe the target audience is people like me: serious photographer/print maker, sell enough big (20"x24", 24"x30" and 30"x36" mat and framed) fine art prints every year to allow me to use fine equipment. I wanted to check out all the focus issues I have read here and elsewhere. I used 4 of my 7 accumulated lenses of a shot from my deck looking at the bay. For each lens, focus #1 was at the end of the pier. No2 was mid-pier. No 3 was at house on island ("Almost" infinity), and focus 4 was at infinity, achieved by manually moving the focus ring as far as it would go. 645 lenses do not go past infinity. I checkd the AF 45~85 at 45mm, 65mm, and 85mm. I also checked my manual focus 35mm f3.5, 55mm manual f2.8, and 75mm f2.8 manual. All hand held, f11 at about 1/250 Aperature preferred. ISO 200. No post processing/sharpening. I will try to upload a down sized jpg to show the test scene. The biggest prints I will be making will be 24"x32", limited by my 24" printer. Here is what I found:
1. For all focus points, both MF and AF lenses, when viewed at "print size" which is natively about 22"x 30"@240 dpi, everything looks very vey sharp, and it does not seem like I missed focus. It should make stunning prints that size. At "Actual Pixels" it still looks like I hit focus, but I did not see the detail I thought I would see (however I would never make a print this big). So far using this quick check at one f stop only, the 75mm manual focus is a real gem; probaly best of all of them. The 55mm was either a wee bit softer, or I slightly missed focus, or both. This lens will however be a good performer at "print size" magnifications. I also have the 45mm manual, 80~160 manual and 200mm AF, which I will check tomorrow.

My first shock was half way through testing I filled up a 32 GB card, the only one I have. There were only 24 shots on it! I promptly ordered 3 more cards. I shot DNG RAW; tomorrow I will try the native Pentax RAW, which perhaps uses lossless compression????
I hope I can upload the picture...
Here goes
Dave in NJ

Dave Gurtcheff

Re: 645D-an Amateur's first impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:38 pm »

Quote from my above post:

"At "Actual Pixels" it still looks like I hit focus, but I did not see the detail I thought I would see (however I would never make a print this big)."

I made a quick test of the same scene using an Alpha 900 with 24~70 Zeiss lens. When looking at the A900 shots at "actual pixels" there is no comparison. 645D wins in my camp, given my workflow/interests/end market. I am going to have a ball with this thing....
Dave

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:41:58 pm »

My first shock was half way through testing I filled up a 32 GB card, the only one I have. There were only 24 shots on it! I promptly ordered 3 more cards. I shot DNG RAW; tomorrow I will try the native Pentax RAW, which perhaps uses lossless compression????

That's not remotely right. If the card is supported, being read correctly, and formatted you should around 800 shots. A Phase One P65+ at twice the resolution only takes 60 megabytes per raw file (using a lossless compression).

Clearly the card is either not supported, is not being read correctly, or was not formatted correctly.

You should contact your dealer to find out what's up.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

tsjanik

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:52:49 pm »

Dave:

Doug's correct, something is amiss.  I have a 645D, my 8 GB cards get 76 exposures at Raw DNG + Jpeg.
Amazing camera.

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 12:18:19 am »

Thanks: will reformat  card in camera and try tomorrow,again. I thought something was amiss! Have no idea what I did wrong.
Thanks again
Dave

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:05:50 am »

At "Actual Pixels" it still looks like I hit focus, but I did not see the detail I thought I would see (however I would never make a print this big).

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback, which is without a doubt useful for many in a similar situation as you are.

Do note that with an approx. 6 micron sensel pitch sensor array, diffraction at the pixel level will start to show (visibly lose microcontrast) at apertures narrower than, say, f/6.3. That's only something to consider when the highest performance at the pixel level is required, for the rest you have plenty of pixels to compensate by requiring less output interpolation/magnification. When both DOF and maximum microcontrast is required, only focus-stacking can help.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:53:24 am »

Dave:

Doug's correct, something is amiss.  I have a 645D, my 8 GB cards get 76 exposures at Raw DNG + Jpeg.
Amazing camera.

I don't have an English User Manual, so I'm guessing here. I *THINK* what happened is this:
I only have two cards, a 32GB which went in slot 1, and a 2 GB which was in slot 2. I somehow told the camera to record RAW DNG files (as opposed to jpg, etc). But apparently I told it to write to both cards simultaneously. When the 2GB card filled after 24 shots, the camera would not fire, and the LCD said "memory card full". Well I assumed the camera would write, first to card 1, then card 2 when 1 was filled. But it must not have done that. My clue to the answer, was I took card 2 out of the camera, then was able to test shoot a quick 100 shots, and the camera said it still had room for several hundreds more. Now I need to figure out how to tell the camera to only use card 1, and when that fills, then use card 2!!
Thanks for the help.
Bart: thanks for the insight re: pixel level sharpness.
Dave

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

Today I went out and took some typical photos that I do. I used a manaul focus 645 lens set at f13 for DOF. I had the camera set to preserve highlights "ON" and preserve dhadows set to "ON-HIGH" This forced me to use ISO 400. I applied PK Capture sharpener. There is some noice in the shadows, possibly because of ISO, but at "Print Size" (30.267"x22.667, at 240 dpi) no problem. I am uploadind a small JPG to show where I manually focused. I will then attempt to upload three 100% crops-one where I focused, another well behind where I focused, and a third well in front of where I focused. Even at 100% (God only knows how big a print that would be), the focus and DOF are good enough for me. YMMV. Hope I can upload, as the files may be too big. I could not upload, so I will convert PSD files to jpg--sorry!

Dave

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 06:00:28 pm »

Only one file uploaded. I will try again
Dave

hsteeves

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:23 am »

I too, am enjoying my 645D.  The format is one I find more interesting than the 3:2 of most DSLRs.  Because of the way I work,  I am inclined to manually focus and I use zooms a lot more.  When I nail it, the images just seem to have more oomph but that may be because I have to justify the price ( haven't actually looked at the bill yet, one of those cross-the-bridge when I come to it things)

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 11:48:19 am »

UPDATE:
I was lucky enough to find a "New Old Stock" brand new in box with unfilled warranty card 45mm FA. I am VERY pleased!!! Maybe I got a good one, but the AF is spot on. A low res jpg, and actual pixels crop. Hand held 1/125 sec, f11. Both are JPGs.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up