Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An ending and beginning (10 images)  (Read 3629 times)

michswiss

An ending and beginning (10 images)
« on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:22 am »

So after 3 years, my gig in China ended today but my plans to explore documentary photography more seriously over the next six months is just beginning. I know that it isn't my last time in China but I won't know for a while when the next will begin.  Here are are several random images from the last many weeks.  No need for C&C, just thought I'd share.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: An ending and beginning (10 images)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:10 am »

Jennifer, I'm sure I'll be proud to say I knew you when. They're all good but #5 is an inspired performance. Kind of reminds me of this one, but yours is better.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

tokengirl

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:10 am »

This is a wonderful set, thanks for sharing it!

ronkruger

• Outdoor writer/photographer for over 30 years.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:54:09 am »

Every picture is a story, but the first is a novel. Be careful.
In the end, the only things that matter are the people we help and the people we hurt. Google Ron Kruger and click on any link to Photoshelter

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:16 pm »

Jennifer, I'm sure I'll be proud to say I knew you when. They're all good but #5 is an inspired performance. Kind of reminds me of this one, but yours is better.
Interestingly, it was #5 which grabbed my attention as well, although #3 and #9 are great shots.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:09:43 pm »

I'm getting tired of Russ saying exactly what I want to say, but before I get to say it! He did it again!

Wonderful set (especially #5), and I am eager to see more of whatever you come up with.

Eric

P.S. Note that unlike Russ, I'm a landscape and abstract guy and don't often get excited by street photography, unless it's of the caliber of Cartier-Bresson. You see deeply.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:00:25 pm »

I go for the last one: so suggestive. The one with the mutt - it looks as if it want's to know what the hell you are looking at!

Yep, as we've been telling you, Jenn, you don't need any teachers, just gigs.

Rob C

michswiss

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 09:25:13 am »

Russ, I'll be sure to cite your confidence in my talent if I ever become "known."  #5 is one of my favourite recent shots.  But the funny thing is most people just dive right past it when browsing the current WIP gallery.  I don't think there are enough familiar anchors for people to latch onto. 

This is a wonderful set, thanks for sharing it!

Thanks Token.  I think I've unintentionally done a good edit on a short essay.  I need to turn off the brain sometimes and just react.

I go for the last one: so suggestive. The one with the mutt - it looks as if it want's to know what the hell you are looking at!

Yep, as we've been telling you, Jenn, you don't need any teachers, just gigs.

Rob C

I probably have a few too many pictures of dog's bums. It's one of the risks of getting on the ground to take shots.  You'll probably hate this idea, but I'm strongly considering joining an expensive multiple week workshop in Africa in mid-2011 that's all about how to work with NGOs and get some published stories out there.  I'm open to other alternatives to getting gigs.

Every picture is a story, but the first is a novel. Be careful.

As with every image, there's a story with this one.  It was a fun shot to get. No danger involved if a little subterfuge.  That shouldn't take away from the novel though.

I'm getting tired of Russ saying exactly what I want to say, but before I get to say it! He did it again!

Wonderful set (especially #5), and I am eager to see more of whatever you come up with.

Eric

P.S. Note that unlike Russ, I'm a landscape and abstract guy and don't often get excited by street photography, unless it's of the caliber of Cartier-Bresson. You see deeply.

To be honest I don't think what I shoot is strictly street.  There are aspects of it, sure, and hopefully spontaneity and honesty at least in terms of reflecting a moment or a person.  Still, I'm really happy that this excites you and I'm always chuffed when there's any comparison to HCB.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 11:44:09 am »

I probably have a few too many pictures of dog's bums. It's one of the risks of getting on the ground to take shots.  You'll probably hate this idea, but I'm strongly considering joining an expensive multiple week workshop in Africa in mid-2011 that's all about how to work with NGOs and get some published stories out there.  I'm open to other alternatives to getting gigs.

Jenn, why does this remind me of the saying that, in order to end up with a small fortune from photography, you usually have to start with a large one?

You were right, I did hate the idea, but that's just moi! Why not just go and see news agencies?

Rob C

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 01:16:24 am »

Congrats!  Some great work there...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 02:03:18 am »

Congrats!  Some great work there...