Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monument Valley accomodations  (Read 4697 times)

camilla

monument Valley accomodations
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:41:11 am »

I agree about what you say on the astronomical prices of Goulding's. I happen to love the Desert Rose in Bluff and have stayed there many times. beats all the other hotels/motels in 50 miles area. Great rooms, even has small individual chalet style accomodations if that's what you want. Excellent prices. Worth the extra miles to get to MV and surrounding area. Check them out online. Have a great trip.

blangton

• http://photography.blangton.com
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 11:25:33 pm »

I might recommend another direction...

The Hampton Inn in Kayenta is only 22 miles from Monument Valley and is very nice.  We stayed there last time through and the place was spotless, affordable and the staff wonderful.  They have a nice restaurant in-house and a refreshing pool.

Good luck...

Bill
Bill Langton (blangton@blangton.com)  AR

camilla

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 06:11:09 pm »

Hello again:
I agree with the Kayenta possibilities, Holiday Inn etc but actually, if you really want the experience, I find that Bluff is so much better. You are in the midle of everything you want to shoot! Many years ago I used to stay at the Recapture Lodge in Bluff where the owners were experts in the area-after it was sold I went twice and it was not the same thing. Besides, one really did not mind the accomodations because of the other interesting things like talking all night about the ruins etc. I then started going to the  Desert Rose which cost the same and was a hundred times better- while mixing in a few stays at Goulding's because I am very friendly with several Navajo families of the area and we used to meet there. Goulding's Restaurant closes at 9 and at that time we were not even back from shooting.. so we used the advantage of the small market there to buy supplies which could be used during the day or evening. In my modest opinion, Bluff is close to all the top points of the area to be really a great choice. Bluff also has a few restaurants, one of them the Twin Rocks which has pretty good hours and decent food  (besides having the twin rocks above you) Across the street you have a great little restaurant, a little more upscale, called the Cow Canyon Restaurant. Great place with a local feel to it and good food. The small coffee shop next to the gas station is not a good option for breakfast as they usually open late and are very very slow in serving the food. You would miss out on the best of light. You also have the option of hiring Far Out Expeditions to guide you (very very expertly) in the area and they have a rooming house where you can stay. Great people, I have used them many times, Vaughn, the owner and Jay, one of the guides. By the way, the one advantage of the San Juan Inn is that if you call in advance they will keep the bar/coffee shop area open a little longer for you so you can have some food. Let me know if you need anything else for that area.

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:09:18 pm »

The best place to stay in that area that I've found is "Valley of the Gods Bed and Breakfast". It's in the valley between Mexican Hat and Bluff, at the base of Cedar Mesa just off of UT 261. About $100 per night, and worth every cent for the experience. Say "Hi" to Gary and Claire for me if you go.

www.valleyofthegods.cjb.net

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 02:31:27 pm »

I'm going to be going to Monument Valley in October, and I just wanted to know if anyone knows of accomodations in Mexican Hat.

During my two previous trips i stayed at Gouldings and San Juan Inn (mexican Hat).

However, Gouldings is now charging around $170/night for the start of October and San Juan Inn is around $75.

I know the first time I went to MV, San Juan inn was around the only place in the area (everyting else seemed kind of seedy), but last time i went to MV (and stayed at Goulding), while driving through Mexican Hat, I noticed more motels that looked alright.

I did a search on the net, and found the following Motels:
-Burch's Trading Co & Motel
-Canyonlands Motel
-Mexican Hat Lodge
-San Juan Inn

I would appreciate if someone could let me know of experiences at any of these motels.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 04:54:29 pm »

I don't know about that particular area, but check out the web site www.tripadvisor.com .  It has user reviews of many places to stay (and other trip-related things).  If you look up the options on that site, it might assist your decision.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

rjkjunkmail

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 08:32:24 am »

The Desert Rose in Bluff is a superb motel for the money.  I stayed there twice and was very happy.

Gouldings is really reaching and the dining is no better than early McDonalds.

Khurram

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 05:41:30 pm »

thanks for all the suggestions.  I guess my best options to staying at Gouldings are either Kayenta or Bluff.  Does anyone know what is closer to monument valley - bluff or kayenta (so it doesn't take as long to get their for sunrise0
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 03:15:50 pm »

Oh yeah, and don't miss Goosenecks State Park and Muley Point overlook if you to VoG B&B. They're both within 10 miles, and rarely visited. I think you can find both on

www.americansouthwest.net

in the Utah section.

I also highly recommend the North Rim of the Grand Canyon if you can make it. It's SO much nicer than the south rim in my opinion. Stay right on the rim at Grand Canyon Lodge or a dozen miles outside the park at Kaibab Lodge. There's nothing else close, I believe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up