Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?  (Read 3184 times)

keith_cooper

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 473
    • Northlight Images
iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:29:02 am »

I drive our 8300 from a Mac - unfortunately the accounting s/w only runs on PCs

So, I find an old copy of VirtualPC and install it (Win XP) on a PPC Mac in another office.

This is great - I can run the accounting s/w

Unfortunately, the PC doesn't see the custom media types that I've set up on the printer, so no paper costs.

Is there a way of synchronising media settings from printer to computer?

Exporting amf files, to re-install seems a kludge, and it looks as if this downloads them to the printer, rather than just update the driver.

Have I missed some simple 'update' function, or is this my fault for having the temerity to want to use non-Canon media :-) :-)
Logged
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:04:24 pm »

Interesting timing. I'm just about to attempt moving my media types over to a PC which is going to serve as my print server. I'm wondering if copying over MediaName.def and the AddedminiMED folder would do the trick? I suspect there's more to it though. Whatever it is I doubt Canon has it documented.

Cheers, Joe
Logged

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:11:37 pm »

I'm wondering if going into add genuine media and clicking update would work? I tried it but the freakin' MCT on the Windows box can't see the printer for whatever reason (even though I chose it from a pull down menu and the proper IP was displayed... GRRRrrrrrr). I know it sounds a bit weird to go through add genuine, but I know that if you clear the media on the printer and then click update in the MCT, it will update everything including custom media types although... a few posts back I noted some funk which may have been the result of doing that.

Cheers, Joe
Logged

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »

I'm wondering if going into add genuine media and clicking update would work?

Well, that doesn't work. GRRRrrrrr. Trying other more sneaky methods (of course copying the exported files from the Mac over the PC and manually adding them (waiting for the friggin printer to restart every time) would probably be faster at this point but... hopefully if I'm sneaky enough I can save someone else a bit of time.

Cheers, Joe
Logged

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:47:12 pm »

HAHAHAHAHA

I declare victory!

Okay, from the MCT folder on the Mac I copied all files and folders with the exception of the MCT app itself. I copied those over to the MCT folder on Windows. When you open up the MCT on Windows you can now see all the custom media types but the apps can't. To get the apps to be able to see the custom media types click on "Add Genuine Paper" and then click "update". The printer will go through its cycle and when it restarts, you'll now have your custom media types in your application.

Cheers, Joe
Logged

keith_cooper

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 473
    • Northlight Images
Re: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:14:49 pm »

Thanks for this - I'll have a go and see if I can get the software that's running under Virtual PC version to read the files.

I've just added half a dozen new custom media types, so it would be nice to see them appear in the costs calculator.

I just had an order for half a dozen very big prints, so I'm curious to see the ink and paper usage figures :-)
Logged
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

keith_cooper

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 473
    • Northlight Images
Problem sorted...
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:59:26 am »

It does indeed work - I moved copies of all files from the Mac MCT folder to the PC's equivalent folder (well, all except the application itself), went through the update and lo, I have my custom papers visible and usable in the accounting package on the PC emulator.

More details at:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/canon_ipf8300.html

Logged
bye for now -- Keith
[url=http://www.nor

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: iPF8300 - synchronise custom media types across computers?
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 10:51:20 am »

Fantastic! Good to get the verification that it works as well. I just set up a Windows box as a print server last night and needed to get everything over as all my media types and profiles were built on the Mac. That little accounting app is pretty slick although I wish when you changed the preferences from meters to feet (or vice versa) that it would do the conversions for numbers already entered. Relatively minor nitpick though.

Cheers, Joe
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up