I have read the user's guide for the R2880 (page 45) and a few threads around the net and discovered that if you
are switching from matte to photo black or vice versa, that you can not try to install or re-install a cartridge that is
low in ink level. Once you decided you want to switch between matte and photo black, you also have to make sure
that you have the other cartridge ready and that it is not low in ink. I am not sure of the exact amount of ink that
has to be left but some have said as much as 1/3. The user's manual says 'low' or 'expended'. If you try to do it, the
printer will not recognize it. There are ways to get around this. Some have said to uninstall and then re-install your
printer driver. This should re-set everything and allow you to go ahead and finish using the low ink cartridge. Another
way around it is to use a chip resetter program to re-set the chip for the low ink cartridge. Yet another method
suggested was to close all applications (like PS) and restart them. Yet another method was to open up the ink levels
status monitor a couple of times. I haven't tried any of these methods as I have not had to switch my matte / photo
black cartridges yet.