Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moab Entrada dual sided paper  (Read 2037 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Moab Entrada dual sided paper
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:34:18 am »

I like the idea of dual-sided printing for putting together a portfolio, but I have no idea how this paper looks. I don't want to buy a whole box just to try. Perhaps someone with experience can give me some idea of how it compares with Epson Exhibition Fiber or Museo Silver Rag, papers I am familiar with. Thanks.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Moab Entrada dual sided paper
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:23:38 am »

It's nice paper but isn't a baryta paper so the blacks aren't as deep as the two papers you mention. Moab includes it in their sample box which is very reasonably priced, I'd just pick up one of their sample packs and give it a try. Or try mailing Moab and see if they'll send you a few sheets to test.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:01 am »

An alternative is to print on single-sided paper then mount the prints back-to-back.

Bonus: the pages will be thicker and more luxurious as a final product.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Randy Carone

Moab Entrada dual sided paper
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:44:17 am »

Larry,

That is an interesting suggestion. Any tips on how you adhere the two sheets to each other? I can imagine using double sided adhesive from a roll but registration could present quite a challenge.
Randy Carone

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 12:07:29 pm »

Of course, as a matte paper the overall look is very different from papers like Silver Rag. It does have very good blacks for a matte paper and without OBAs, the paper color is similar to Silver Rag. There is a hint of texture to it-not as smooth as Canson Rag Photographique, but few would call it objectionable.

I use the lighter weight version printed double sided and am very happy with it.
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:40 pm »

Hi Randy,

In the good-old-days, I used a dry-mount press. It's still the best way today. My problem was always mounting them top to bottom rather than top to top...

Your best bet is to use a jig to align this way and a tacking iron.

As an alternative, print oversize and then carefully trim the excesses. In any case, I usually have to trim just a little no matter how well I mount the prints back-to-back since I always seem to print my page signatures on large sheets cut from rolls.

In the past several years, I've printed my pages on my Epson 9800 and then cut them and glued them together using spray mount. It's a little bit of a pain but doable. This is the technique I've used to make several hand-made and hand-bound books of prints and portfolios. It takes time and expect to have some waste when you do them this way.

I've also run the Inkjetart.com two-sided matt paper through the 9800. It takes some effort to do successfully since the paper curls quite a bit. My solution is to print side one, let it dry, iron the paper to flatten and then rotate 90 degrees to print side two. It's not perfect but it works! I sort of wish that Epson had the 2-sided matt in other than 8.5x11 inches, but as it was, this was the only 2-sided, 24-inch wide paper I've been able to quickly find. Great to do a large and folded broadsheet for a portfolio intro!

HTH,

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

sm906

• thomas hintze fotografie
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:19 am »

Peter,

the Moab Entrada papers are excellent fine art papers. To give them a try either buy the Moab sample package, which is cheaper than a single Entrada package, or ask you local dealer (if there is one around) for two or three Entrada sheets; some dealers do so to come into business with you.
BTW, the Moab Kayenta is double-sided, too; and its cheaper than the Entrada.

Thomas
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT youtube.com/c/rawakademie

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 02:52:02 am »

I like the idea of dual-sided printing for putting together a portfolio, but I have no idea how this paper looks. I don't want to buy a whole box just to try. Perhaps someone with experience can give me some idea of how it compares with Epson Exhibition Fiber or Museo Silver Rag, papers I am familiar with. Thanks.

There are some dual sided RC papers, Sihl 4803 Prof Photo Silky 330 gsm, Olmec 65 Photo Gloss HW 250 gsm and the Matte Moab Lasal Photo 146 gsm. In all cases including the matte papers mentioned in other messages you have to be careful when heavy prints are facing one another in a book.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

New: Spectral plots of +175 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:16:48 am »

You can get the Moab Entrada hole punched and scored so it turns easier in a book.  I have sandwiched two sheet of Epson Lustre in my vacu-press.  Too thick when done though I think.  If sandwiching again I am going to use Epson Semi Gloss 170.  Its thin but when put together should be better.     
CMurph

juicy

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »

One paper I didn't see yet mentioned is Ilford Galerie Smooth Lustre Duo. Reminds Epson Premium luster but is a true double sided media.
One thing to remember with these double sided papers is the added time needed for drying before printing the second side. In Ilford's case they recommend more than 24h IIRC drying time between the sides.

J
Pages: [1]   Go Up