I've been creating custom media types for the papers I've been using...
HFA William Turner
HFA Museum Etching
HFA German Etching
HFA Sugar Cane
HFA Fine Art Pearl
Crane Museo Silver Rag
Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone
Proofline Metallic
Canson Platine Fibre Rag
For each paper I've been creating 5 different media types. All media types for each paper are identical with the exception of Maximum Ink Usage. For each type I've been selecting a different max ink usage... low, medium low, medium (labeled "standard" in the MCT), medium high, and high.
From there I have been printing out a chart (one for each media type so 5 per paper type), scanning them in and then evaluating the profiles.
Up until yesterday I've had no issues, everything has been predictable. Yesterday for the first time I noticed that in the IPF8300 plugin, when I switched the media type to medium (standard) for ANY media type (I've built media types based on Fine Art Textured, Fine Art Bright 330, Fine Art Watercolor, Premium Semigloss 280, etc.... the point is it happens for all of them), the "Perform Print in Preview" check box becomes available.
As far as I know, this absolutely should NOT be available unless you have an output profile selected. This is clearly not the case as I'm printing targets and have "None (no color correction)" selected.
Can anyone verify this behavior? Perhaps this is the first time I'm noticing it but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.
Why am I sure? Because the behavior of the profiles being built were predictable up until today. I'll use some hypothetical numbers... Let's say for gamut volume, 10 is the highest gamut volume you could ever have. Normally if I create a profile and check out the Gamut Volume for each low, medium low, medium, medium high, and high based media type the gamut volume might behave as follows:
Low - 4
Medium Low - 5
Medium - 6
Medium High - 7
High - 6.25
Low - 7
Medium Low - 8
Medium - 9
Medium High - 8.75
High - 8.5
Low - 5
Medium Low - 6
Medium - 7
Medium High - 8
High - 9
So those are the behaviors I usually see. FWIW, I've actually run these tests on more papers than the ones listed above (those are the ones I decided that I wanted to offer). Anyhow, what I witnessed today was the following behavior:
Low - 5
Medium Low - 6
Medium - 9.25
Medium High - 8
High - 9
That just doesn't seem right. This was with Fine Art Watercolor as the basis for the media type on Hahnemuhle Sugar Cane.
It's possible that Fine Art Watercolor could be an issue but again, I find it strange that the media type created with maximum ink usage set to medium causes "Perform Proof in Preview" to appear with no ICC profile assigned as being a little suspect (and yes, it makes a difference in what you see in the preview if you toggle it on and off, something that should NOT happen with no ICC profile loaded).
Now, what's worth noting that's significant is that a few days prior I called Canon support because I had a custom media type in the printer itself (for Crane Museo Silver Rag) that did not have any entry in the Media Configuration Tool. In order to correct that Canon support had me reset the printer, and resync the media types. All of the charts I printed prior to that (even with the medium max in layout) behaved predictably.
Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
Cheers, Joe