Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another "please critique my site" thread  (Read 4625 times)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Yet another "please critique my site" thread
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:59:38 pm »

Well, I have finally managed to build a new site, and will love to hear your comments:

Thanks.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Yet another "please critique my site" thread
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 03:19:48 am »

Well, I have finally managed to build a new site, and will love to hear your comments:

Thanks.
Ed, I think it's very well done indeed. It looks clean and uncluttered. Things that one thinks should work (arrow keys spring to mind) just do and images load quickly. I like the way you've made the up-arrow key move up a level back to thumbnails or back to gallery (Eric's site was the first I saw which did that and it's a nice feature).

If I have one criticism, it's that logically I would expect the down-arrow key to reverse the effect of the up-arrow key; so when a set of thumbnails is displayed, it would take you into the single-shot view mode.

What did you use to build it?

Beautiful images, too!

Jeremy

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 03:28:30 am »

Ed

It's a really nice web-site. It works smoothly, everything fits well on my screen, and the pictures look great.

Congratulations!

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:42:38 am »

Very nice site, Eduardo, and for some reason the images appear much better looking there than they did on the LuLa posts.

Your shot of the roots, that inspired some contorversy in LuLa, looks very good indeed at the size you have it in the website. I notice you use much larger image sizes than I do - are you not afraid of having them stolen? I look at my own site and sometimes wonder if it was worth all that work for small images that don't even look very crisp to me, though they do seem very crisp as Photoshop files, even unsharpened ones look better than my jpegs. ;-(

The blurred water effect is far stronger at the size you show on the website; well done!

Rob C

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:21:03 am »

Very nice! You have achieved an elegant and uncluttered site with all the needed functionality. Nice photo, too!

By the way, what do you think of FotoMoto as a way to sell prints?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

It makes my day to see someone creates something as fresh, beautiful and elegant as your site. Thank you!

fredjeang

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »

Give me a keyboard arrow key facility and I'm happy, as it works perfectly on your site.

and even the wheel facility!! congrats
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:02:21 am by fredjeang »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 03:02:33 pm »

All been said... nice and clean, easy to load, and some good work, too!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 03:42:33 pm »

Edu, +100
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

popnfresh

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 08:35:46 pm »

Edu, you did a terrific job with the new site. It looks clean and classy and it's easy to navigate. And your photos are looking better than ever. Congratulations!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 09:11:40 pm »

Edu, I'm jealous. I'll second all the good things others have said. Elegant, simple, clear, fast, intuitive navigation, and everything works. What more could one want? Well, maybe some stunning images, and by golly you've got them, too!

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 09:42:50 pm »

Great job. The site loads very fast and the interface is clean and uncluttered.

A couple recommendations:

• Indicate the gallery (fire, water, etc.) during the browsing/slideshow. I found myself comfortably immersed in your work but when I came up for air I didn't know what gallery I was in ("Oh, yeah. Water.")
  • To change galleries I had to navigate back to the root/home page. I wanted to go right to the next gallery (because I was enjoying your work). I'd like to see a link to every gallery from each gallery.
  • Don't repeat images in various galleries. Keep them exclusive/special. Either Recent or Water but not both.

Please keep in mind these are personal, subjective recommendations. Your site is very nice as it is.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 12:37:28 pm by Chris_Brown »
~ CB

Christos Andronis

• Christos Andronis Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 03:21:24 am »

Edu,

As the others said, nice and clean; easy to navigate and some stunning images there. Only recommendation would be to be able to click on an image on the slideshow and go directly to the page with the image in its original gallery so that the visitor can get more info about it easily. I would also recommend more info for each image; that helps with the page rank among other things.

- Christos

michswiss

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 11:00:49 am »

This shouldn't be a big concern, but your site isn't directly accessible from China.  It's most likely due to the hosting service you use being blocked, not your content.  I'm really looking forward to checking it out when I'm somewhere else.

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »

Whoa! I am overwhelmed, I could never have imagined I would receive so much good advice and positive criticism. Thank you all very much for your nice words. First things first, I must say that the site was built using Jalbum with the Turtle skin (plus some minor modifications by myself); so I do not really deserve all those compliments about the design or the navigation. And this gives me the idea that I should add some acknowledgements page, by the way.

[...]
If I have one criticism, it's that logically I would expect the down-arrow key to reverse the effect of the up-arrow key; so when a set of thumbnails is displayed, it would take you into the single-shot view mode.
[...]

I like your idea, looks very logical and not too hard to implement; thanks.

[...]
Your shot of the roots, that inspired some contorversy in LuLa, looks very good indeed at the size you have it in the website. I notice you use much larger image sizes than I do - are you not afraid of having them stolen? I look at my own site and sometimes wonder if it was worth all that work for small images that don't even look very crisp to me, though they do seem very crisp as Photoshop files, even unsharpened ones look better than my jpegs. ;-(
[...]

That shot of the bush you mention is one of my own favourites; so, controversy or not, it had to be on the website.

My primary intention with that site is not to sell prints (but this reminds me I must add a license page to the site, thanks); I prefer to let the viewer see them properly, even if some of them might get stolen... if they ever get stolen: I frankly do not think they are that valuable.

By the way, what do you think of FotoMoto as a way to sell prints?

Fotomoto gives me the option to offer prints "directly" from my site; it is very "convenient" to set up, easy and free. The main drawback is that the sense of "craftsmanship" is somehow lost, the prints are made by someone else and I do not even get to see them before they are delivered. However, I still have not had the opportunity to test them, neither as a buyer nor as a photographer (I have never sold a single print).

[...]
  • Indicate the gallery (fire, water, etc.) during the browsing/slideshow. I found myself comfortably immersed in your work but when I came up for air I didn't know what gallery I was in ("Oh, yeah. Water.")
  • To change galleries I had to navigate back to the root/home page. I wanted to go right to the next gallery (because I was enjoying your work). I'd like to see a link to every gallery from each gallery.
  • Don't repeat images in various galleries. Keep them exclusive/special. Either Recent or Water but not both.
[...]

Very interesting points, thanks for the advice.

[...]
Only recommendation would be to be able to click on an image on the slideshow and go directly to the page with the image in its original gallery so that the visitor can get more info about it easily. I would also recommend more info for each image; that helps with the page rank among other things.
[...]

I cannot describe how painful to me is having to write something about the photographs, even a small paragraph; I see the good intentions in your comment, but I would never have had the site on-line if I had to add a comment to each photograph....

Again, thank you all very much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up