Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated  (Read 1483 times)

ChrisImages

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:58 am »

Hi,
Placed my order for a 8300, like a GeGad of others right now.
I've been using a ipf5100 for mostly Landscape type photography prints & have exper with some of the Baryta papers; and will have some of those leftover for the 8300. ( I'm keeping the 5100 )
But, those of you using the 8300, when I order 2-3 different rolls of 42-44" paper, any suggestions as to basic serviceable papers to start getting to know the printer, a gloss & a Semi or Pearl/Luster finish ?
Suggestions appreciated - I know it's VERY subjective, just some thoughts.

Also, if I could put in a plug for the http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/ to register you location under users.
It's always great to find another user close, especially for those unexpected weekend ink runs  ;D
Not that I don't ALWAYS have an extra Cartridge on hand, but they have been know to just go BAD out of the blue.
bcf

Brian
East Tawas, MI USA 
Logged

neile

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1093
    • http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:17:17 am »

I'm planning on ordering a roll of Breathing Color Lyve canvas to use in my 8300. As much as I'd love to print 44" wide on my Ilford GFS (favourite glossy baryta paper) or Moab Somerset Musem Rag (favourite matte paper), the reality is prints that big are a royal pain in the #%(* to frame.

Neil
Logged
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

ChrisImages

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
Re: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:29:02 am »

Yah, I'll be ordering a canvas too - trying to decide which one.
As you noted, I guess I'll try and keep most of my prints, to start with, under the 32x40 or 40x60 matt sizes enough to frame nicely - really don't want to build giant matts right now.
bcf
Logged

neile

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1093
    • http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:41:19 am »

BC has the test roll of Lyve you can order (it's only 17" wide though) and it's a nice way to try it out for a very reasonable price.

Neil
Logged
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

shewhorn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 537
    • http://
Re: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »

Call Jason Adams at Shades of Paper, tell him the type of imagery you'll be printing and what your preferences are. He'll definitely have a few suggestions.

Cheers, Joe
Logged

hsmeets

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 184
Re: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:29:56 pm »

why not those papers that you already use on the 5100??
Logged
Cheers,

Huib

ChrisImages

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16
Re: ipf 8300 on way - any 1st paper Sugg appriciated
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 09:42:09 am »

Certainly any of the sheets I've been using on the 5100 I'll be able to use on the 8300, typically I haven't used much variety of roll paper.  I have some 17" on hand, lexjet canvas, Canon HW Mat, but no photo gloss.
I thought those of you using the larger rolls 36-44" may have found a good balance of surface durability, quality & economy.
I understand different images call for different paper attributes.
I have also looked thru the Favorite Papers section of the Wiki.
Thanks for any thoughts,
bcf
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up