Hi Joe
Your question is best taken to an optometrist or dispensing optician who actually knows your eyes, your prescription, the lens design you intend using (single vision, bifocal or varifocal) and the frame you intend glazing. I am an optometrist and your question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string". There are too many variables and without knowing those an answer is almost impossible to give.
You are correct in what you say about the abbe number but unless your prescription is "high" then normal glass or plastic is going to be fine. Why glass over plastic? Modern plastic lenses with AR coatings are very tough, transparent and often every bit as good to look through glass. Here in the UK I would estimate that glass lenses account for possibly <5% of lenses dispensed, and in my practices I would say <1% and those are to people who think they won't scratch rather than any superior optical quality glass might have.
The optical design is more important than things like abbe numbers, etc. Aspherical designs generally improve visual performance of the lens, and some manufacturers offer tailor-made lenses where the fit of the frame is taken into account when manufacturing the lenses. This gives the wearer the best possible vision through them without some measurements being taken as "averages", such as the wrap of the frame, how far the lens is from your eye, the angle the lens makes in front of the eye, and so on. Depending on your prescription and intended type of lens this may be worthwhile, but it could also be totally unnecessary.
As I said lots of variables and your eyes are so individual you are best finding an eyecare professional who knows what they are talking about and whom you trust. I am sure they will be able to give you exactly what you need.
Hope this is of some help.
Regards
Richard