Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Leaf Trap  (Read 6026 times)

DwayneOakes

The Leaf Trap
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:20:04 am »

Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

stamper

Re: The Leaf Trap
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:45:59 am »

Would you care to provide some details of how you captured the shot? You clearly know what you are doing and once again it is well done and very pleasing! :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:35:35 am »

Would you care to provide some details of how you captured the shot? You clearly know what you are doing and once again it is well done and very pleasing! :)
I agree. As to details, do you mean other than

Camera: Nikon D80
Lens: 65 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1.3 sec, f/29, ISO 100, Compensation: -1
Date: November 12, 2010 2:59:42PM

?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:01:33 am »

Now that's about right for the lighting you can expect at the falls up at the end of Rouken Glen!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:03:45 am »

Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1.3 sec, f/29, ISO 100, Compensation: -1

?

Jeremy

Holy shit! No wonder I find the computer a mystery. Wouldn't know how to do that if my life depended on it. Maybe I should go back to film after all...

;-(

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:43:34 am »

Rob, its called "View EXIF Data Plugin" ....

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 12:57:04 pm »

I think the essential details are in Dwayne's sig block.
He slowed his walk, opened his eyes and listened,
and nature revealed her hidden beauty to him.
And he is sharing it with us.

Thank you Dwayne. That is a lovely, moody image!

Eric
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:58:47 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 03:01:33 am »

Very interesting how the water seems lighted, but the rocks sit on the dark... I like it.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 03:53:14 am »

?

Jeremy

How did you know Dwaynes data? Did you assist in taking the image? ;) Seriously I was wondering if he used a filter and if so what shutter speed. There is some debate as to what shutter speed gives a nice effect. I know it is subjective but in the past Michael has given his opinion on this. Whenever I post images with a long exposure I state the shutter speed. It is nice to learn that even Rob can learn something new at his age. :) :) :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:50:43 am »

How did you know Dwaynes data? Did you assist in taking the image? ;) Seriously I was wondering if he used a filter and if so what shutter speed. There is some debate as to what shutter speed gives a nice effect. I know it is subjective but in the past Michael has given his opinion on this. Whenever I post images with a long exposure I state the shutter speed. It is nice to learn that even Rob can learn something new at his age. :) :) :)
If you right-click on the image and choose "image properties" you will get this:

File change date and time:  2010-11-13 21:07:39
Image input equipment manufacturer:  NIKON CORPORATION
Image input equipment model:  NIKON D80
Exposure time:  1.3
F number:  29
Exposure program:  3
ISO speed rating:  100
Exposure bias:  -1
Maximum lens aperture:  4.6
Metering mode:  2
Light source:  9
Flash:  0
Lens focal length:  65
Sensing method:  2
Exposure mode:  0
White balance:  1
Digital zoom ratio:  1
Focal length in 35 mm film:  97
Scene capture type:  0

Some of those numbers I can understand, but I would need a Nikon to know which Metering mode is number 2 (for instance).

Eric

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 01:48:31 pm »

Rob, its called "View EXIF Data Plugin" ....

Plugin equates with buying it; nope, spent too much on this business already!

I did know about right clicking and then opening 'properties' but that doesn't ever tell me much, certainly not what Eric can find from that right click!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:54:56 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »

Now that would be nice, but all that happens is that I understand it when it's being explained, but by mañana por la mañana it's gone with the wind! Must be those two thongs I saw in the other thread. Or that bugger Prendergast coming back.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 03:41:38 pm »

I did know about right clicking and then opening 'properties' but that doesn't ever tell me much, certainly not what Eric can find from that right click!
My right click has been honed to perfection from years of experience. I'm considering asking Michael and Schewe to make a LuLa tutorial on the use of the Right Click.  :D

Eric

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 10:10:00 pm »

an absolute knockout....one of the best images I have ever seen posted here.

Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 03:43:30 am »

Plugin equates with buying it; nope, spent too much on this business already!

Rob C
It depends on whether or not you're using a Mac and whether or not you're using Safari. The plugins are free (the vast majority, anyway: there may be some that cost money but none that I've seen). The "view EXIF data" is certainly free. I find it quite handy. I imagine Firefox has an equivalent.

As a side note, there are several really handy Safari plugins: one I particularly like strings together linked web pages so that they appear as one page, in that you can scroll through them without having to click the "next page" link. It doesn't always work but it's jolly nice when it does.

Jeremy

stamper

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 04:11:44 am »

If you right-click on the image and choose "image properties" you will get this:

File change date and time:  2010-11-13 21:07:39
Image input equipment manufacturer:  NIKON CORPORATION
Image input equipment model:  NIKON D80
Exposure time:  1.3
F number:  29
Exposure program:  3
ISO speed rating:  100
Exposure bias:  -1
Maximum lens aperture:  4.6
Metering mode:  2
Light source:  9
Flash:  0
Lens focal length:  65
Sensing method:  2
Exposure mode:  0
White balance:  1
Digital zoom ratio:  1
Focal length in 35 mm film:  97
Scene capture type:  0

Some of those numbers I can understand, but I would need a Nikon to know which Metering mode is number 2 (for instance).

Eric

Eric, thanks for the info. This prompted me to download the view EXIF data plugin for Firefox and to answer your query the metering mode 2 is center weight. :)

It is that good it also tells me where Dwayne lives, bank account details and what he had for breakfast. :) ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:13:52 am by stamper »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:58 am »

Eric, thanks for the info. This prompted me to download the view EXIF data plugin for Firefox and to answer your query the metering mode 2 is center weight. :)

It is that good it also tells me where Dwayne lives, bank account details and what he had for breakfast. :) ;) :D
By golly, I've got to start using Firefox more. Opera gives me the breakfast but won't give me his bank account number, so I can't transfer it to my own offshore account.  ???

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 09:38:07 am »

By golly, I've got to start using Firefox more. Opera gives me the breakfast but won't give me his bank account number, so I can't transfer it to my own offshore account.  ???

Don't bother, Eric, they aren't paying any more interest either. In the 80s, you could get over 15% tax-free (to be paid to your local country of residence by your own good declarations... Was a time you could live like a sort of minor royal (very very minor) off interest alone.

Something I've never understood about money: there is supposed to have been a crash, and much of it has suddenly vanished from the face of the Earth. So, with the deepest respect, where the hell did it go? Nobody I heard of lit a bonfire with it. It must still be sitting around in bank accounts gathering zero interest. The guy who sold the house to the guy who couldn't really afford it still got the money, and his bank is holding onto that for him or it is sitting in another house; the bank that lent the money still has the house it financed and the value of that will either (apparently) grow or diminish as the market seems to think its value might be at any given moment and it isn't an absolute. So, why is the panic so severe? Confidence, confidence and confidence: the only three reasons anyone undertakes any business venture.

I suspect that the truth is that nobody really understands money, that its original purpose as a form of common exchange has been lost in the mists of time, that it has become such a complex and convoluted concept that it is thought to be open to all manner of transactions, dreams and gambles that it could never hope to cope with as the basic exchange mechanism that it used to be and probably, in its own mind, still is. Prendergast doesn't think much of it: I never trusted the mother - are you surprised?

;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:54:14 am by Rob C »

DwayneOakes

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:56 am »

Yea EXIF data is cool. One thing it does not show in the list is the metering area circle size change I made. The Nikon D80 has a tendency to overexposure
harsh light scenes when using its matrix metering system. It was easy to fix this problem by switching over to center weighted metering and then changing
the metering circle area from 10mm (default) to 8mm (to change circle size, page 90 in the manual). Dail in a little exposure compensation and you are good to go.
Thanks again everyone !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:48:12 am by DwayneOakes »
Pages: [1]   Go Up