Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 2162 times)

jliddil

Newbie Questions
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:49:46 pm »

I'm an amateur photographer who until recently only took jpg images. Now I have a Nikon D5000 since I've want a DSLR for years. Never knew anything about DAM but did some testing for M$ and got EM for free. Then watched it languish. As a side note I do work in a field involved in records management and use Documentum and Sharepoint.Then Phase One bought it. In the mean time I had grown tired of EM issues on my little collection of jpg photos. So I moved to IDImager. I also got CaptureOne basic for free when PhaseOne bought EM but never used it until now. So it is a bit idiosyncratic as I now have read particularly with folders stuff.

So now that I am using C1 I find that the basic version has limitations that really limit me. I took my Nikon on a trip to Thailand and now have thousands of pictures. Not being able to save recipes etc. really is limiting.

Does the what appears to be superior raw handling make up for the interface/lack of well documented help (I'm a newbie but I do computer stuff all day so I've RTFM more than once) vs say Either LR or Nikon NX2? It seems I might be asking the wrong group but 30 day trials are getting old and my photos aren't getting processed. :)

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 11:22:56 am »

Does the what appears to be superior raw handling make up for the interface/lack of well documented help vs say Either LR or Nikon NX2?

Every raw processing program will deliver different results. If used correctly, none of them will deliver poor results, just different. Is Capture One superior? I don't think any of the raw processing programs can claim that seat. In the hands of a knowledgeable user, each program will deliver the goods.

Although the Capture One manual may leave you wanting more, they do have this very complete library of video tutorials. Perhaps that will help you.

The benefit of raw over jpeg is that you have far greater control over the image. The down side is you have to spend the time to fuss with your images. Some users simply try to get their raw processing program to deliver results similar to what the camera's JPEG algorithm delivers. While this might be good practice for newbies, the power and control of raw processing can really improve an image, beyond the usual "color-correct & good-exposure" stuff.

All raw processing programs require a starting point for accurate color rendering. Adobe's Camera Raw uses "Camera Profiles", Capture One uses ICC Input profiles, Raw Developer can use either. This initial camera or input profile is a critical step in acquiring accurate colors from your camera. You can either use the canned profiles that are included with the program, or you can make your own. To make your own requires additional software, color charts and time.

Regarding Expressions Media (or iView MediaPro or whatever it's called now), I use it for cataloging 8 TB of images, movies, & design documents, and I can find most images in less than a minute. I love the program and am really glad it's in the hands of Phase One because I think they'll give it more attention & development than Microsoft.
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up