Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Tilt/Shift Lenses  (Read 6128 times)

Mjean

Nikon Tilt/Shift Lenses
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:17:17 am »

I was wondering what would be the best Nikon Tilt/Shift lens to get for all purpose photography.  The 24, 45 or 85.   I tend to shoot a lot of landscape but I also enjoy urban photography and portraiture photography.  Any suggestions and comments on the use of a tilt/shift lens would be appreciated.  Many thanks in advance.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Nikon Tilt/Shift Lenses
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:47:24 am »

There is no "one lens fits all" with T/S lenses.

For landscape and architecture, I use both a 24 and 85 t/s and occasionally my old 35 shift. It all depends on what works for my vision. I also use a modified TC 14e for the T/S lenses to give me more options.

Since I'm shooting both FX and DX, each gives me another option.

In the studio shooting still life, the 85 T/S works well and gives me lots of working room for lighting. In the field the 24 T/S is great and as a bonus, allows stitching of wider and taller subjects, but don't discount the 85 for landscape since this gives you increased DOF using the tilt and subject isolation for panos.

As for portraiture, the 85 T/S could be used if you have a fairly calm and not fidgeting subject, especially if you are using tilt for creativity. Since I'm running the original 85 T/S, it's fairly slow and awkward to shoot other than on a tripod and with very slow or stationary subjects.

In the field, the 24 T/S works well hand-held with the electronic aperture actuation. If I'm in a cut-and-run situation, I can run either a quick pano or shift for geometry without a tripod, though it's still best to do this deliberately with a level and tripod. Better to have the shot a little off than without one!

Of course this take a little practice!

Best bet to see what works for you is to examine which focal lengths work best for your vision then why not rent one for a week or two to see if one will work for you.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »

Good advice, in that last post, especially about understanding what the different focal lengths can do for your kind of interests.

T/S lenses only mean that you have some further control over some aspects of the final result, but the general 'feel' of each focal length is identical to that of the non-T/S versions of the same focal lengths.

In fact, before you spend the money, be certain that you need the T/S versions at all.

Rob C

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:53 pm »

I bought the 45 for landscape use on a D700.  The only thing I have learned is that no matter which one you buy, you will ultimately want the other two!  They are really amazing tools.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 05:25:18 am »

I have the 24mm and 85mm PC Nikon lenses. Of course, both are great, but one thing that is special (to me) about the 24mm is that it has a close focus distance of about 8.4 inches, closer than either of the other lenses. The 85mm PC lens has a close-focus range of 1.3 feet, which is often too long for me.

The 24mm is almost a macro wide-angle lens, although that combination of words must be an oxymoron. The beauty of this wide angle lens is that (like most WA lenses) you can poke your subject right up to the end of the lens for precise focus, and have a lot of whatever is around it also in focus.

I find the 24mm more useful, and use the Nikon 85mm G prime for what I do at that distance.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 11:28:10 am »

Nikon has excellent lenses, however, if looking at this time but not requiring immediate purchase and use one should consider looking at the Schneider's which were announced at Photokina and are scheduled for delivery February 2011.  I have found a significant quality upgrade with the German glass over the Nikons and Canons.  We own the Nikon 24mm T/S and it is excellent but I can't wait to get the Schneider for a test shot.  There is info brochure on my site about them at RodKlukas.com.
You might consider them.
Rod :)
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 07:46:13 pm »

Rod:

Thanks. Do the Schneider lenses come in Nikon mounts? Which would you suggest?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:54 pm »

We own the Nikon 24mm T/S and it is excellent but I can't wait to get the Schneider for a test shot.  There is info brochure on my site about them at RodKlukas.com.
You might consider them.
Rod :)

I use all the three Nikon PCE lenses - on a d3x-I can tell you the 85mm is completely distortion free - from 2.8 you can even make a full shift. d8 is 3d - it is the most perfect lens i have.
The 45mm PCE has a little distortion but equally great.
Only the 24mm PCE could be a little bit better I find. But that is just the lens Schneider is not offering as far as i know...
And I wonder if the Schneiders are as good at d2,8 as the nikons are- It is possible they shine only at d8 and d11
But what could be improved on the nikkors is its shift/Tilt mechanism- I am sure Schneider ( and Canon) will do a better job there.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 08:41:21 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

TJH33

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 01:18:56 pm »

Looks like this company, legacy2digital.com, now offers CPU lens conversions for manual Nikkors. Haven't tried them, but looks like they're doing something I hadn't seen before. They also offer converted lenses but don't say which ones. If someone's tried them, maybe you could post your experience. If there's any other company offering this kind of lens conversion, please let me know.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

Not sure a chip added to the 35mm or 28mm PC lenses would do much good other than to save a few seconds over simply using the non-cpu preset in the current crop of Nikon bodies. I think since about 2005, you've been able to present the focal length and max. aperture of at least 10 lenses and on even newer bodies, it can be set to the "favorites" menu.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up