Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to Crop this Image  (Read 8029 times)

jdemott

Where to Crop this Image
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:08:56 pm »

Chris--I would crop the photo just at the bottom of the nearest line of trees. The principal reason is that the lighter-toned pasture in the foreground tends to pull the eye out of the photo rather than into it.  Also, cropping the bottom will leave a more elongated aspect ratio for the photo which emphasizes the horizontal lines in the photo.  You did well to frame the image with very little sky, since there seems to be little interest in the sky at that particular time.

One could imagine a shot with a wider lens that emphasizes the foreground pasture and the sheep, but for this shot, I think the foreground is just a distraction.  Eliminating it will focus attention on the most dramatic element of the shot--the lighting on the hillside.

My other suggestion would be to consider using a slightly cooler color temperature when you do the RAW conversion.  This would bring out slightly more green tones in the hillside pastures, which could provide a nice contrast with the warm browns and give a nice patterned effect.  This is a very subjective decision and you may prefer the warmer color temperature you are now using which emphasizes the warm colors of the early morning light.

Nice shot.

John DeMott
John DeMott

jeffball

• www.earthandskyphoto.com
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 04:50:32 pm »

Hello,
For me, as I scroll the image up and down, I would crop the sky entirely and I don't have a problem cropping nearly all the way to the fog.  For the most part, I would just crop out the sky.  The image for me is the linearity of the trees and the angle of the decending ridges and the interaction with the fog.  The sheep add another dimension to investigate on closer inspection.  I really like the image and find the color quite pleasing.
Jeff Ball
[url=http://www.earthandskypho

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 07:53:25 pm »

I would crop the sky entirely
me to.
Tim, is 'me to' different than 'me from'?

CJD

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 05:08:45 am »

Thanks guys for all your input.  It's been great.

I'll work on some crop variations early next week (away in Wales this weekend, watching the rain).

Thanks to Jeffrey for spotting something I had forgotten - I must have done a bit of cropping first thing in the workflow: lost a bit of sky and a bit at the bottom.  Might have to reinstate the bit at the base of the image for one of the crop variations.

For your interest, attached is the "wide" shot (sorry about the small image and 2 minute workflow).  10D, Sigma 15-30mm @15mm-end, 1/125 @ f6.7, ISO100.  Some of the shots of the "island" in the cloud with the walls in foreground are also interesting (difficult to see on this image).  But again hard to crop (a road on the left and the foreground restricts possibilities).

Thanks again for taking your time to help.

Chris

CJD

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 04:07:37 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Howard & nniko (Lisa)

Thanks for taking time to comment.

FYI, the two shots I have posted are different photos.  As I noted in the posts, the first was taken on a 100mm prime and the second with a 15-30mm zoom at the 15mm end.

Howard:  note my first posting to give you a frame of reference.

I know that the image does not work (thank you for giving the reasons you have stated).  The "worth" of the image was not really the point of the posting.  I have this image (i.e. an unplanned "drive-by") and was interested to learn how photographers would squeeze the best out of this particular shot by cropping.  The hope was to learn "something" to apply to future images and to initial framing of photographs (as well as trying to make the most out of this image, which I like, so I can put it on my wall).  And yes, my walls are covered with dreadful photos, how awful.

So I am interested to know, given the limitations of the image, how you would go about squeezing the most out of it.  It is what it is and I just want to make the “best” of it (which will obviously be different for each photographer).

Thanks again

Chris[/font]

CJD

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:08:50 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Alan

No problem.

These US guys have no idea what we on this side on the pond have to contend with!!

Cheers

Chris[/font]

ChrisAndJane

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:16:23 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']My favorite book on the art of landscape photography is Charlie Waite's "The Making of Landscape Photographs."  You can see the list of all of his books at http://www.charliewaite.com/books.htm

Since he is a fellow Englishman you may find his book particularly applicable to your questions.  It focuses on the issues of composition, not on the technical aspects of photography.[/font]

CJD

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 06:22:47 am »

This was a classic "Drive-By" photo (I was on the way to a meeting).  The pimple of a hill is Whin Hill in Derbyshire, England, taken from the base of Winnants Pass.  Early morning Dec 2003.  Canon 10D, Canon 100mm, 1/250 sec, f/4.5, ISO: 100.  Shot in RAW.  Edited in CS.

I want the image for my wall (A3 Print). Most people who will view it will know the location.

I'm interested on how photographers (I don't class myself as a photographer!!) would approach cropping the image to change/enhance the empahisis/subject (whatever that is).  I like the image, but don't think it quite works full-frame - but don't have the training/experince to know why!

I must be mad posting an image, given the slating most people seem to get.  But what the heck.

(and yes, I was late for the meeting)

Cheers

Chris

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 01:18:40 pm »

Chris, you've already cropped this--yes?  The aspect ratio is c. 1.65:1.

I agree with all of John's recommendations, and I too think it's a very nice pic.  Do play with color temp in conversion--you may find something you like better.

One more thing--select the sky and increase saturation hugely to see if there's ANY color in it.  You may find something there you want.

The more I look, the more I like it.

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 06:08:28 pm »

I would crop the sky entirely
me to.

Ray

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 10:12:42 pm »

Tim, is 'me to' different than 'me from'?
Jeffrey,
Is 'me to' different from[/i] 'me from'?  :D

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 11:10:34 am »

Chris -

Thanks for posting the whole wide-format one.  With your original crop, the photo did nothing for me.  The whole uncropped one, though, I like a lot.  The aspect ratio fits the lines of the photo better.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

howard smith

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 12:56:07 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']The problem I see with the original is there are too many subjects or no subject in particular.  The final is quite nice once a subject was selected.[/font]

alanrew

• http://
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 12:35:43 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Chris,

If you don't mind me downloading the original jpeg I'll have a try at cropping it.

Is that OK?

Alan

P.S. I'm UK based too, so I know how hard it can be to find a nice shot![/font]

alanrew

• http://
Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 10:14:35 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Chris,

I've got a cropped jpeg to send you - let me know the best way to do this. It's 229 KB.

Alan[/font]

CJD

Where to Crop this Image
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 10:57:54 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']This is the crop by Alan Rew

I like it a lot.

To Chris&Jane: have ordered the 2003 version by Charlie Waite

cheers

Chris[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up