Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477876 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1240 on: September 18, 2012, 08:35:09 am »

What Walter said. Very touching.
The true strength of the photograph there Rob.

We are all so hip at the time but when we look back there is inevitably a naïvete or gullibility.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your past.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1241 on: September 18, 2012, 10:29:27 am »

I often wondered where the missing half of Half Dome had actually gone to; could this be the tip of it (slap bang in the middle), coming right through from the wilds of America? Earth is hollow, you know; that's why it floats.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:44:00 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1242 on: September 18, 2012, 03:26:03 pm »

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your past.

Your picture touched a nerve here Rob.

One forgets too often that we are people talking to each other on forums like this, and not just internet "identities" without soul.

Thank you for sharing.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #1243 on: September 18, 2012, 03:50:53 pm »

Your picture touched a nerve here Rob.

One forgets too often that we are people talking to each other on forums like this, and not just internet "identities" without soul.

Thank you for sharing.

Ditto. Thanks for sharing. It's appreciated even by the newcomers like myself.

Rob C

« Reply #1244 on: September 18, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »

Thanks, glad you found it of some interest - when my daughter sent me the original file from her scan it was the first time I'd ever seen the shot. Pity it was so stained and creased, mainly across Ann's forehead - but it did give me some PS practice! I don't think I'd ever have bothered to put so much work into one of my own shots - but there you are.

Thanks again.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1245 on: September 18, 2012, 07:06:32 pm »

I don't think I'd ever have bothered to put so much work into one of my own shots - but there you are.

Thanks again.

Rob C

Rob,

I was having a discussion with a colleague just last weekend along these very lines.  I had said that without passion of intent there is not much to a photo (or our craft).  Going back through the archives it is plainly visible for all to see what the attitude of either the model, or I, or both was at the time of the shoot.  He didn't believe me, but he is not the most assiduous of viewers.  But it is true.  If the juices aren't flowing then leave the camera in its bag.  So too with processing.  So much of what is called for, especially in commercial work, is simply grist to the mill.  But when the heart is engaged it excites the brain and gets us to go the extra yards.

What a sweet daughter to give her dad such a treasure.

Rob C

« Reply #1246 on: September 19, 2012, 04:57:39 am »

Rob,

I was having a discussion with a colleague just last weekend along these very lines.  I had said that without passion of intent there is not much to a photo (or our craft).  Going back through the archives it is plainly visible for all to see what the attitude of either the model, or I, or both was at the time of the shoot.  He didn't believe me, but he is not the most assiduous of viewers.  But it is true.  If the juices aren't flowing then leave the camera in its bag.  So too with processing.  So much of what is called for, especially in commercial work, is simply grist to the mill.  But when the heart is engaged it excites the brain and gets us to go the extra yards.

What a sweet daughter to give her dad such a treasure.

Oh boy! have you opened up a can of delightful worms!

That spark of which you make mention is what lies at the root of all muse relationships. It’s the why of Bailey and Shrimpton and a dozen or more ‘heroes’ who made their mark working with that someone special who turned their shots into pictures. It was the making of my own career – not anywhere in the same exalted league, unfortunately – and, in reverse, due to lack of muse, the cause of my doldrums today.

Without the anticipation, the excitement of what you might be able to pull off on the next shoot, work just becomes work, and in most ways clicking a shutter’s no more exciting than turning a screw or welding a join. And there is an amazingly beautiful chemistry in a relationships that makes photographic encounters between the right people wonderfully exciting for them.

From the practical point of view, the enthusiasm in a muse situation is a hugely valuable commodity to clients: you don’t have to waste time trying to suss out what makes a new model tick; you don’t go along dead end visual paths and you discover early what to stress and what to avoid. And that’s important: I’ve never come across anyone without a downside to her photographic possibilities, and looks can be very deceptive. But, in a small business environment, it can be counterproductive as I discovered to my cost when using the same girl for two competing fashion retail clients in the same city and within ownership of the same group: they don’t like to share! Seems sensible, I suppose… except that one of them is going to get second-best.

So yes, as you suggest, where there’s no strong motivation or, better yet, personal compulsion, then the camera should probably remain in its bag. Hence the cellpix: they simply happen for the spontaneous fun of it with no further intent or pretension beyond the instant giggle. In fact, I find that some things give me a caption before I take the shot… that would have been a valuable asset when I was shooting stock, certainly better than the dumb switch from 'blad/Nikon to 6x7!

To end: without real motivation you discover work; with motivation pleasure. Same thing/work, in many cases, but done for two different reasons.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1247 on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:53 am »

Not a lot of motivation, but definitely a light chuckle on the part of both crew washing the decks and myself.

A rolling moment, then.

http://youtu.be/6DVCgKsqn30

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1248 on: September 20, 2012, 10:03:13 am »

To disobey would be a challenge of biblical proportions.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1249 on: September 20, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »

Nicely seen Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #1250 on: September 21, 2012, 09:50:59 am »

Some time ago I was chatting about why my kids aren't all that impressed by professional photography, and that in their minds it came to represent the world of the guinea pig. I used to have a Bowens flash meter in those days, and it wasn't all that dependable, I felt, so I used to run practical tests using card print-outs of the different apertures. This is life at f11. Life at other stops lies safely within my daughter's free hand. Anyway, it's another shot from a print sent me from my daughter's scanner. Perhaps she shouldn't have bought one.

Funny how peculiar bell-bottoms look today, but I wore them as did most everybody else I knew. I had a matching jacket to go with the jeans (very soft crushed denim - oh so tactile!), and they were made by a charming company called The South Sea Bubble, which was certainly an invitation to disaster, as they soon discovered.

Have to admit, ETR saves a lot of faffing about and I would certainly have employed a tethered computer, had they existed...

Anyway, have a giggle. Or just ignore - me es igual.

Oh - for the technically minded: it would almost certainly have been shot using a 2.8/35mm  Nikkor (manual, of course), one of the sharpest lenses I ever owned.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:10:54 pm by Rob C »

nemo295

« Reply #1251 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »

The space shuttle Endeavor over the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge this morning, on its final flight.

WalterEG

« Reply #1252 on: September 21, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »

Gee, what a cracker capture of a cracker moment there Doug.  Is it the fruit of thoughtful planning or are you the beneficiary of happenstance.

My curiosity is sparked by the flag at half-mast.  Was that for the shuttle or somebody else's demise?

Cheers,

W

nemo295

« Reply #1253 on: September 22, 2012, 12:52:40 am »

Gee, what a cracker capture of a cracker moment there Doug.  Is it the fruit of thoughtful planning or are you the beneficiary of happenstance.

My curiosity is sparked by the flag at half-mast.  Was that for the shuttle or somebody else's demise?

Cheers,

W

Thanks! I was able to track the shuttle's flight progress online so I knew approximately where it was going to be at the time. I shot it through the window of our CFO's corner office. Fortunately the glass wasn't too dirty. Not sure why the flag was at half mast, but it'd been so for a few days.

Rob C

« Reply #1254 on: September 22, 2012, 04:05:20 am »

Thanks! I was able to track the shuttle's flight progress online so I knew approximately where it was going to be at the time. I shot it through the window of our CFO's corner office. Fortunately the glass wasn't too dirty. Not sure why the flag was at half mast, but it'd been so for a few days.

Maybe for those murdered due to those home-grown nutters making anti-moslem movies?

Rob C

nemo295

« Reply #1255 on: September 22, 2012, 10:51:00 am »

Maybe for those murdered due to those home-grown nutters making anti-moslem movies?

Rob C

Possibly.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1256 on: September 22, 2012, 02:28:28 pm »

And hence irritating the irrational? There's an excellent comment here.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1257 on: September 22, 2012, 04:07:09 pm »

Well, the good thing is... the French finally support the U.S.! If everybody else (i.e., the rest of the civilized world) would follow in their steps at the same time, I would love to see who would the other guys direct their medieval rage against.

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #1258 on: September 22, 2012, 04:21:54 pm »

You know what's sorta funny about this: Where the hell do they get all the flags from? I mean whenever in some country something happens which pisses these extremists off, they immediately have the right flag at hand to burn? Do they have flag warehouses in every other hicksville? Do they hand out sets of flags, just in case?
Honestly, I wouldn't even know where to buy an American flag in my hometown in Germany. Ok, I could probably order it from Amazon, but I guess that's not really an option for these lunatics we're talking about.

Rob C

« Reply #1259 on: September 22, 2012, 06:21:20 pm »

That's something that has had me thinking in the past, too. You might find there's a conspiracy theory that fits: factory in Los Angeles makes them to special order using illegal Mexican labour and ships them out to Israel from whence they get passed on to the wider middle east. But look, if the theory is correct, it means manufacturing jobs in the States and also, perhaps, in the UK and any other land whose flags require partial incineration - and that's where the manufacturing skills lie: only enough flag must burn to allow the remnants to be recognized in even the shortest tv exposure.

Oliver Stone: a story awaits!

;-)

Rob C

P.S. I didn't enjoy the cartoon in the link; I don't like insulting or treading on anyone's religious beliefs. Who knows: they may even be correct. There's certainly something bigger than any of us out there or, even, inside each one of us.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 75   Go Up