Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477861 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1220 on: August 28, 2012, 03:58:20 pm »

This follows the same vein only its good southern boys with the cameras; you can tell this because they aren't wearing black socks.

This is what Isaac looks like from my perspective and I live about 300 miles from ground zero. A lot of hype about nothing as far as we were concerned...oh well.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Mjollnir

« Reply #1221 on: August 29, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »

WalterEG

« Reply #1222 on: September 03, 2012, 06:50:56 am »

Went for a road trip out West on 25th August.

A few of the fruits of the peregrination:

Rob C

« Reply #1223 on: September 03, 2012, 09:11:38 am »

Nice images, Walter; just one personal observation (mine): I think they might have been much stronger as pictures without the tinting. Having said that, I come from a position of disliking any toning by nature - I just don't believe anything beats a great bromide print with good, strong blacks and creamy highlights.

Speaking of b/w prints  - have I just been looking in the wrong places, of is our Mr Smith of the 500 Series with digi -back b/w shots of English heritage stuff, such as trains and their drivers, awol?

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1224 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:47 am »

Rob,

Diff'rent strokes, and all that.  The straight black and white print is anathema to me.  I can only ever see a press-elease picture with black & white.  In the wet darkroom days I always used Chloro-Bromide papers when they were available - Portriga-Rapid and Record-Rapid from Agfa were the preferred choice.  With the scanned negs I have made a little colour thingy that is sort of a nod in the direction of the current 'warmtone' papers.  I did use Selenium toning for longevity and sort of liked the very subtle colour shift it gave to normal papers but preferred the warmer tones.

But, here goes with an untoned version:

I have just purchased another Durst L1200 and will soon be making wet-process prints again.  Who knows how that will translate, scanning a print.

Cheers,

W
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:37:30 am by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #1225 on: September 03, 2012, 10:02:06 am »

Walter

I don't know it it's a side-effect of my eye problems (going for the final tests - I hope - on Friday) but I still pick up a pinkinsh glow in the sky of the b/w version!

;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1226 on: September 03, 2012, 05:27:05 pm »

Rob,

It may be your monitor, or perhaps the jiggery-pokery of varying colour space through the forum.  Perfectly neutral here and my monitor is calibrated.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #1227 on: September 04, 2012, 04:54:13 am »

Rob,

It may be your monitor, or perhaps the jiggery-pokery of varying colour space through the forum.  Perfectly neutral here and my monitor is calibrated.

Cheers,

W

This raises a question I raised before somewhere, and to which I have either forgotten the reply or just not understood it.

My monitor (calibrated) is shared by two computers, this one for Internet and general office work, and another one reserved for PS and photography (it's currently away being meddled with).

The question was: when calibrating the monitor, done via the PS-dedicated one, am I adjusting the monitor or simply that computer's reactions with it? So, does the Internet computer also take advantage of the calibrations done via the PS computer, or do I have to recalibrate using the Internet computer too? Basically, is it the monitor that really gets adjusted via calibration or the individual computers?

Regarding your shot: the white rebate below the shot is perfectly white in my setup, it's just the cloud areas, the sky, that still look slightly pink to me.

But, looking at the grey (?) space around this box as I type, and also when I press Preview, I still get that slight sensation of pink. I never noticed this before - is there an intended tint on the LuLa space here? The space on which I type, though, is perfectly white to me, with no hint of a colour tone.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1228 on: September 04, 2012, 10:41:22 am »

Rob

When you calibrate your monitor you create a profile which is stored on the computer you used to create it. You then set this as the default profile for your monitor. When you switch computers the profile is no longer available.

BTW, Walter's image is neutral.

Thanks, Keith,

So, if I calibrate via both computers, they will both give me the correct calibrated setting every time I switch from one to the other machine?

I hadn't noticed a difference with the Internet computer before, but now that I think about it, I do remember thinking that some of my own pix looked different when I e-mailed them or looked at them in LuLa.

Thanks again -

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1229 on: September 04, 2012, 04:36:31 pm »

My head is spinning.  Thank goodness I only have the one machine.

Rob C

« Reply #1230 on: September 04, 2012, 06:28:06 pm »

My head is spinning.  Thank goodness I only have the one machine.

Walter, my head will be spinning when I get the bill for the repair!

Was back at the weekly jazz session tonight and there was a guest guitarist (English) who lived here for fifteen years and then went off to the Côte d'Azur where he's living now; listening to his story, it makes the life of a snapper seem pretty secure after all! It's amazing how these people can just pick up the pieces and play together again so convincingly.

No pix anymore because it's still outdoors and the light sucks at night... maybe in the depths of winter, should the band still have the gig, I'll get some fresh material if they play indoors again. Hope so - makes a change from cars, if nothing else. Nothing aganst cars, but anything exotic goes home too, along with the holiday folks. April to September is the yachting season, and after that the marina's empty except for the bigger boats that live in the water, and some distressed paintwork up on the hard...

Have you done any work (professional) on boats and their interiors? Beautiful, some of them, but I'd imagine quite hard to light.

Ciao -

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1231 on: September 06, 2012, 04:45:11 am »

One last pics from the road trip out West:

Bricked-Up Apse

And one from wandering the lower North Shore the following Sunday:

Afternoon Lattice

W

Rob C

« Reply #1232 on: September 06, 2012, 06:48:41 am »

Walter

For some reason, the top one reminded me of Scotland. There's an interesting one up at the top of a hill in Blairgowrie, but you are just as likely to hear drums coming out of the building. At least, that was what I imagined I was hearing some years ago, but it might have been somebody stoking the greater fires below...

Having got myself that background roll, I thought I'd stick the studio flash onto charge after about ten years of its living in a suitcase, and see what happens. For fifteen minutes nothing has happened. You can imagine my feelings, having gone to all that trouble with the pesky roll... anyway, it has just lit up the flash-ready light, so I shall discharge it - or try - and see where we go from here: YES! I've flashed it off twice in a row! So now I might be able to summon up the blood etc. and find a person on whom to vent my frustrations of these past few years. Blessed relief!?

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1233 on: September 06, 2012, 08:07:36 am »

Possibly well spotted Rob,

It is a Presbyterian church from the mid-19th Century so the similarity may be more than coincidental.

As for the strobe:  why bother.  Digital capture requires so little light compared to film that the flash may well be overkill and natural light could be the duck's nuts.  In fact, I have been thinking I should advise you of my acreage of sail cloth made into scrims.  Might be just the ticket.

Cheers,

Rob C

« Reply #1234 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:26 am »

Walter

The world is ever smaller!

I'd been chatting with a young German guy here who has a sailmaker's business; he eats lunch at the same bar/restaurant as I and we'd got to chatting because he'd noticed my daily walks in the marina and he wondered if I had a boat. I asked him about old sails - with the intention of using a part of one to make my backdrop. Once I'd explained the need for flatness he told me sails wouldn't do because they come with a built-in curve to make a better shape for the wind.

I understand your point, though, and I am also wondering about using just the modelling light and the umbrella; flash could well mean that I'd have to work at night, anyway, because the camera only goes down to ASA 200 and synch stops at around 1/250th with the D700 (I think) and I don't want to use the D200 (100 ASA minimum) though it would render my 1.8/50 into a 75mm that could be interesting, and that 50mm is a great optic. Frankly, if I could generate just a little business, then it would encourage me to try out one of those short manual micros that Nikon made.

My HP A3+ printer is telling me it requires a fresh cartridge... I haven't made a print in zonks and I'm not sure I really want to keep the damned thing running all day (as one has to) in order just to let it do daily cleaning exercises. Might turn out cheaper to let it die and then, if work comes to visit, buy new again. I'm sick of having boxes of prints just lie there; seems pointless.

My Internet keeps telling me that I can contact Russian and Asian and hell knows what else babes with a view to marriage/romance; does anybody anywhere ever answer this crap? I thought I'd filtered all this stuff away...

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:02:08 am by Rob C »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1235 on: September 11, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »

I'm not an animal photographer but I like these two I just found. Shot 1 year ago in Cuyahoga Falls. I can probably remove the branch that goes over the deer. The spot between the deer's eyes is a fly (I was maybe 20 feet away only).

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1236 on: September 13, 2012, 12:52:08 pm »

I seem to have a focus issue on the long lens..attended a school hockey match recently and noticed the odd frame where it focussed on other things. My daughter is somewhere in the background giving her all for the team.

Rob C

« Reply #1237 on: September 14, 2012, 05:38:22 am »

That's a very sensitive longer lens, Riaan. Your friend Harry might have lent it to you?

I don't think I'd bother sending it back to have the focus checked; live with the surprises.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1238 on: September 18, 2012, 04:44:33 am »

Things that come to haunt one.

This must have been shot during the late 80s - the dog, Dina, died in '90 and the cat, Splatt, was poisoned along with the rest of a gang of around twenty-something semi-wild ones that started out as two female kittens abandoned by their mother who, walking along the perimeter of the garden one day, looked up at us on the terrace, realized that the alsabrador was actually a pussycat, and that we would inevitably relieve mama cat of responsibility for a productive but mad moment behind the rubbish bins.

(The poisoner was a woman resident in the complex who said she was an animal lover; we were away shooting somewhere at the time.)

The glass indicates it was around 11am; nobody wasted time in that decade.

The image was shot on some toy camera that my daughter toted around, and the file came from her as the result of putting a bent and creased happy snap onto a scanner. Rather sad for me, but it proves I once had some hair and that it was fairly dark; my wife hated being snapped, but put up with it because it was our daughter doing the deed.

Good old days, as I know...  ;-)

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1239 on: September 18, 2012, 05:41:02 am »

The true strength of the photograph there Rob.

We are all so hip at the time but when we look back there is inevitably a naïvete or gullibility.

Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your past.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 75   Go Up