Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477898 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1120 on: July 29, 2012, 04:33:54 pm »

Hi Riaan

When I first saw Five Girls it was far too expensive for my tiny pocket; many years later I bought the current, revised edition of Cowboy and had hopes that Five would reappear, but that seems unlikely now.

Haskins has always been a sort of man of mystery to me; in a sense, his fame seems to have been greater than his (visible to me) body of commercial work. I'm aware of most of his books - I think - and about his calendar work along with a bit of fashion, but I can't for the life of me remember many magazine appearances. This isn't to say there weren't many, just that I can't bring them to mind or they were in magazines I didn't see or buy.

Perhaps, in truth, he was abe to work on his own projects and get them financed rather than have to depend on regular commissions all the time. That would have been an ideal life. Who could ask for more? Whatever the reality of his business model, he was one of my favourite lensmen, ever. In fact, he and Feurer probably still are, with Sarah Moon jostling somewhere in there too.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1121 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »

I still have my first editions of Haskins' early books and several of his later editions.

I was fortunate enough to have an afternoon with him back in the 80s to interview him for a magazine article.  Sam chain-smoked as he sipped fine red wine.

There were a number of striking things that came of the interview, among them:
  • He did not look at the work of other photographers.  Instead he drew inspiration from theatre and ballet.
  • For colour photography he used Tungsten Ektachrome and filters for colour correction because of the gentler slope to the tonal curve
  • In the studio he used hot lights rather than flash and usually only had one primary source as direct tungsten and all fill sources were progressively filtered warmer and accent sources may at times have had a very pale blue
  • He was wary of 'flavour of the month' photographers and preferred artists that worked away quietly without fanfare and hype.
  • At the time there was great strife in South Africa and he said it grieved him immensely because "There are great people on both sides of the colour divide."

Cheers,

Walter
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:34:38 pm by WalterEG »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1122 on: July 30, 2012, 01:06:25 am »

Continuing a theme .....

Metropolis Angel in Steel:

And diagonal force [unusual for me in that it is colour and digital capture]:

W
These are good photographs Walter. I particularly like the textures and composition in the second.
Here are a few more from the same day. I had some fun looking for sites that included some of the background location.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1123 on: July 30, 2012, 03:34:36 am »

Continuing a theme .....

And diagonal force [unusual for me in that it is colour and digital capture]:

W

I like this one a lot, Walter, and although I'm normally very fond of monochrome, I think here the subtle, muted colours contribute a great deal to the effect.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #1124 on: August 02, 2012, 02:04:31 pm »

Came across this horse today after lunch; daughter and granddaughter were amazed when they discovered themselves being shooed out of shot... oh well, can't win 'em all.

Rob C

See post further along.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 06:34:00 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1125 on: August 02, 2012, 05:35:36 pm »

Rob,

You let the team down by not including .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfuHgzu1Cjg

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #1126 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:47 pm »

Rob,

You let the team down by not including .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfuHgzu1Cjg

Cheers,

W

Ah Walter, what can I say? It must have been the heat!

To tell the truth, one of the best versions of that number is in the film The Commitments and I particularly found myself watching the blonde lady singing in the middle of the backing group... forgotten her name but not her face.

http://youtu.be/RYj54YL3Yxo

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1127 on: August 02, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »

Rob,

I nearly posted the Commitments version but thought that a vintage rocker like yourself might prefer the Wilson Picket.

I loved the Commitments just as I also love the Honeydrippers.  Robert Plant has just been over here playing pub gigs with his latest outfit doing his Rockabilly stuff.  With a 1.5 buzz cut I doubt I'd have much use for hair oil at a rocker do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc4fIQvr8e0

W

PS:  I found a euro version more to your taste Rob:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQYFBsmmyg
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:14:26 pm by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #1128 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:45 am »

Hi Walter

Unfortunately, your second link doesn't come live, but the first one's nice.

Music and mood can be amazingly complex:

http://youtu.be/aH8FEZvaiAI

I had some links to excellent jive stuff (or was it lindy hop?) but the best one, Sleepy Labeef's Boogie Woogie Country Girl has  been removed from 'tube and lost to future generations of would-be dancers; being a wooden one myself, it removes dreams as well as visual delights. Amazing how some hips can girate, whether in skirts or in jeans; as with much else it must be in the genes...

No dancers here, unfortunately, but nice sound:

http://youtu.be/tkuMs-WYDdY

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1129 on: August 03, 2012, 06:32:40 am »

Walter -

Couldn't live without changing the caption; unfortunately, I can't do apostrophes with the T tool in PS6 and so I had to be bit long in the tale. But it's now recaptioned to suit Sally, and she gets her name in lights again.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:52:26 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1130 on: August 03, 2012, 06:36:33 pm »

Your perseverence shows commitment Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #1131 on: August 04, 2012, 04:38:31 am »

Your perseverence shows commitment Rob.

I know, I know, Walter; even to the extent of flogging dead horses.

;-)

Rob C

graeme

« Reply #1132 on: August 04, 2012, 07:22:38 am »

A recent shot taken at our less than luxurious workspace. ( One of the first images I've used lightroom for - this may be the best piece of software I've ever used ).

Graeme

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1133 on: August 06, 2012, 04:24:39 am »

I was out early yesterday when the first building here to be dropped by implosion went down. So here are a couple of shots. Nearly dropped the camera when the detonations happened.  ::)

seamus finn

« Reply #1134 on: August 07, 2012, 02:28:52 pm »

I'm very late coming here - was a bit daunted by the extraordinary number of members who contribute in so many ways. Great pictures too, and great fun:

WalterEG

« Reply #1135 on: August 07, 2012, 02:38:34 pm »

Is this the most telling evidence yet of the impact of the economic crisis Seamus?

Even the oldest profession is hard hit.

seamus finn

« Reply #1136 on: August 07, 2012, 03:32:21 pm »

I suppose it's bottomed out, Walter.

Rob C

« Reply #1137 on: August 07, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »

Is this the most telling evidence yet of the impact of the economic crisis Seamus?

Even the oldest profession is hard hit.

Yep, it's just like stock photography: too many amateurs ruining the game.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1138 on: August 07, 2012, 06:40:35 pm »

Too true Rob,

As a teenager with a glowing devotion to photography my faith was shattered when I guy I was working for said,
"Photography is just like prostitution.  Both professions were stuffed by amateurs."

It has been my experience that the quip carried with it a load of veracity.

Cheers,

amolitor

« Reply #1139 on: August 07, 2012, 07:43:32 pm »

Stock photography IS being ruined by amateurs, for sure. It's over as a money-making business, since the number of people willing to spend $100s of dollars to make a picture they will sell for pennies appears to be infinite.

This doesn't mean they're doing bad work. There's stuff you can buy for a dollar on any microstock site that is truly excellent work.

Capitalism is hard at work here, stock photography shouldn't cost anything.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 75   Go Up