Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 478155 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1100 on: July 24, 2012, 03:56:59 am »

JMR

Like that - not something seen every day unless in the habit of having one on the chin every day! ;-)

Shame about the initials in the image, even greater shame that such devices are necessary these day. All in all, a picture that I'd have been very very happy to have produced.

Nice work.

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1101 on: July 24, 2012, 07:10:38 am »

I agree with Rob that this is a striking image.

Excellently crafted.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1102 on: July 25, 2012, 01:23:40 am »

Two from Marcia's cell phone (pushed around a bit in LR)

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

« Reply #1103 on: July 25, 2012, 06:47:00 pm »

Two from Marcia's cell phone (pushed around a bit in LR)

Mike.
Not sure how Marcia did these witha cell phone, but they look like DSLR work. They are fine indeed.

JMR

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1104 on: July 25, 2012, 08:25:58 pm »

She has steadier hands than I do.  And I DID push them around in LR!   ;D  But seriously, she has a good eye, even though she's not big into f/stops/ ISO, etc.  I just got 'Photography and the Art of Seeing' for her from the library and it's changed how she makes images.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

WalterEG

« Reply #1105 on: July 26, 2012, 01:48:43 am »

I don't think I have posted these here previously:

Maybe Rob will approve.  Then again?

W
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:51:02 am by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #1106 on: July 26, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »

I always approve of nice ladies making a graceful entrance... Just wish I had some to work with myself.

But that may change: I've constructed a support system that will fit at one end of the terrace and give me a plain backdrop. Not a paper roll - far too much humidity for that to survive even a night in the open air, but a roll made from kitchen blind material. It's two metres wide, and though somewhat less than the usual nine feet I worked with, PS will allow any added 'canvas' I might need after the event. The roll should arrive from the blinds company next week or so - then I'll feel the obligation to hunt for subjects... how we torment ourselves.

Anyway, I did a little tree photography and some large flower photography after lunch.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Puerto Pollensa."

There's something in landscape...

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:53:42 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1107 on: July 26, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »

Rob,

Perfect timing for the light on the backs of the white cane chairs.

Are you intending to use natural light with your 'blind' backdrop?

I have created something of a fork in the road for myself.  Just purchased a Sinar 8x10 again and a brand spanking new 360mm lens to go with it.  But now I have to dream up a new project coz my 4x5s will not match in nicely with my 8x10s.  Additionally, it is my intention to contact print the 8x10s but the 4x5s need to be enlarged or scanned.'

Cheers,

W
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:36:33 pm by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #1108 on: July 27, 2012, 04:19:32 am »

Thank you, Walter, for the compliment on my immaculate timing: it comes with ease using a cellphone because there's Internet access and should I really, really need it I can even get a direct line to the local harbour master who is always willing to give me an instant update on the position of the sun and, get this, the direction of the wind, which is vital when shooting this breed of large-headed sunflower. Ah, the world of genetics!

The ersatz Colorama. It's going to be a less-than-perfect thing for colour because of the bounced light off the terrace tiles, which will give everything a dullish, weakish red tint, but that could be a disadvantage turned around if I find a white - very white - model and need an instant fake tan for her. Black/white should be a piece of cake - at least, a piece of cheesecake, if you get my drift.

Anyway, I've got just about enough room to erect a brolly flash (must be about 35 to 40 years old now) before it hits a support column to the apartment above. Failing that, I can hang a white sheet from one of those wind 'em in, wind 'em out sunshades and put the flash further out into the open air and shoot it through the sheet. One thing where this scores highly over my real, former studios is that I can get quite a long way away from the background. Might get to use my 135mm on full lengths after all!

In mid-winter the sun sets almost exactly to the left of camera position and shines right across the face of where the backdrop will hang. Might even take up shooting sunflowers in pots; lillies are a bit more expensive and rare here. I think: I never buy cut flowers so can't really swear to it. Ann didn't like them - felt it so sad to destroy such beauty, but we had a ton of pots around the place! Still have the pots, but not much colour anymore.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:21:33 am by Rob C »

michswiss

« Reply #1109 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:11 am »

Me in a studio:

Rob C

« Reply #1110 on: July 27, 2012, 12:42:11 pm »

Strangely enough, I never imagined you wore sunglasses indoors. I wore them after dark for two weeks when I was young, but those was different times and even jazz musicians did the same.

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1111 on: July 27, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »

Not sure how Marcia did these witha cell phone, but they look like DSLR work. They are fine indeed.

JMR

Fine indeed.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1112 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:36 pm »

I don't think I have posted these here previously:

Maybe Rob will approve.  Then again?

Lovely Walter, lovely.

Rob, I found out today while visiting my friend Harry ( in between idle moments of raiding his library again) that he has signed Sam Haskins prints and attended two of Sam's "workshops" held here in Durban, South Africa. I also read last week that he is actually from South Africa but left because of the strict censorship laws upheld here at the time.   

W

Rob C

« Reply #1113 on: July 27, 2012, 04:08:40 pm »

H Riaan

Yes, he did his first couple of books from S.A. (Five Girls which I thought his best, and then Cowboy Kate and Other Stories) then moved to Lodon where his wife became his agent and, to all reports, was a very good one and very much in control of what he did, who approached him etc. etc.

You do know that he died?

http://www.haskins.com

http://www.samhaskinsblog.com

It was a rather bitter-sweet end for him - just got out a new book in conjunction with a fashion house, fell ill, realised at some stage he'd never regain 100%, took matters into his own hands. To me, he was one of the real innovators, a giant of a photographer who didn't need Photoshop to make amazing tranny combinations and in-camera combinations.

A chap in Glasgow who ran a colour lab arranged for him to come up and do a projection show with his 6x6 and 6x7 material... stunning. I even got to ask him stuff about reflectors...

I had a couple of his Pentax calendars but all I now have of Pentax is one by Hans Feurer - they would be interchanged over several years - easily as good as Pirell and Feurer even did the last of those before the hiatus which was followed some years later by a series of rubbish (in my biased view) productions with a different art director instead of Derek Forsyth who, for his part (revenge?), then worked his magic for Mintex until he was brought back into Pirelli. Boy, I'd have loved to have been the fly on the wall at those negotiations!

The first link is to Haskins' old site; the second to his blog, which was set up and run by his son after the death - as far as my memory tells me (and I think it isn't lying to me this time).

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:12:54 pm by Rob C »

Dahlmann

« Reply #1114 on: July 27, 2012, 05:31:32 pm »

From yesterday.
A nice winter day in Victoria/Australia

/Dahlmann

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #1115 on: July 27, 2012, 06:37:47 pm »

The Mainland Steam Heritage Trust have a steam engine based in Christchurch for a few months doing trips up into the mountains. I have been wanting to photograph one for ages and ages. Well, it's harder than I thought, but here are the first two attempts.

Rob C

« Reply #1116 on: July 28, 2012, 04:12:17 am »

Of course it's difficult, David, you have to wait until it stops before you try to shoot it, especially for close-ups!

However, there's no doubting that old engineering certainly does come with an aristic bent all its own. Perhaps it's in the way that the bits and peices are designed to perform their specific tasks - a rather dedicated sort of attitude, in a way, as if there was no possibility that a straight bar was going to do what one of different thicknesses along its length would do. In fact, there's a feeling of engineering 'art' being introduced as separate from basic mechanical need for structural strength. Much like 50s American cars, then, with shape playing a rĂ´le in the appeal that goes beyond the basic need for an enclosed (usually) box with a wheel at each corner and an engine somewhere to propel it.

Some think that the greatest displays of engineering art are to be found in buildings and bridges; I see the art to reside more in vehicles. Or I used to. Current cars are so homogenized they might all come from the same set of mother ships. As for Formula 1 cars...

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #1117 on: July 28, 2012, 08:41:00 am »

Continuing a theme .....

Metropolis Angel in Steel:

And diagonal force [unusual for me in that it is colour and digital capture]:

W
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:43:34 am by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #1118 on: July 28, 2012, 01:41:51 pm »

Walter-

Those things will never fly with the eagles, but they sure look good. Wait! Didn't that happen to Concorde in the end?

;-)

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #1119 on: July 29, 2012, 03:04:25 pm »

H Riaan

Yes, he did his first couple of books from S.A. (Five Girls which I thought his best, and then Cowboy Kate and Other Stories) then moved to Lodon where his wife became his agent and, to all reports, was a very good one and very much in control of what he did, who approached him etc. etc.

You do know that he died?

http://www.haskins.com

http://www.samhaskinsblog.com

It was a rather bitter-sweet end for him - just got out a new book in conjunction with a fashion house, fell ill, realised at some stage he'd never regain 100%, took matters into his own hands. To me, he was one of the real innovators, a giant of a photographer who didn't need Photoshop to make amazing tranny combinations and in-camera combinations.

A chap in Glasgow who ran a colour lab arranged for him to come up and do a projection show with his 6x6 and 6x7 material... stunning. I even got to ask him stuff about reflectors...

I had a couple of his Pentax calendars but all I now have of Pentax is one by Hans Feurer - they would be interchanged over several years - easily as good as Pirell and Feurer even did the last of those before the hiatus which was followed some years later by a series of rubbish (in my biased view) productions with a different art director instead of Derek Forsyth who, for his part (revenge?), then worked his magic for Mintex until he was brought back into Pirelli. Boy, I'd have loved to have been the fly on the wall at those negotiations!

The first link is to Haskins' old site; the second to his blog, which was set up and run by his son after the death - as far as my memory tells me (and I think it isn't lying to me this time).

Rob C

No I didn't know he is no longer with us Rob, the knowledge that he took his own life after the stroke  saddens me- I page through Cowboy Kate and Five Girls at least once a week. Thank you for the links. 
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 75   Go Up