Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 478153 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #1000 on: June 11, 2012, 10:02:57 am »

So, tell me, did the pooch find any bokeh? Tumescent bokeh, perhaps, or just something in the air? He looks concerned, if a little haughty.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1001 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »

I had wondered what was going to happen with the paper fish; the plot, apparently, thickens.

I shall keep track of this.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:33:04 pm by Rob C »

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #1002 on: June 12, 2012, 06:21:11 am »

....what breed is that dog ?

Dahlmann

« Reply #1003 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:10 am »

....what breed is that dog ?

A cross between border collie and blue heeler..

/Dahlmann

Rob C

« Reply #1004 on: June 12, 2012, 11:06:45 am »

/Dahlmann

Ah, a Heellie, then. Just like my late Alsabrador. The best kind.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1005 on: June 13, 2012, 11:54:09 am »

Recently, much anxiety has been expressed about the rights and wrongs of sunlight or faux sunlight in landscape.

I found some such ammunition this afternoon during my usual walkies. (No, I no longer have a pooch, but I still put one foot before the other or even, sometimes, right into my sweet little mouth. Dependable, that is I.)

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:33:44 pm by Rob C »

John R

« Reply #1006 on: June 17, 2012, 09:38:05 am »

/Dahlmann

Very nice work, Dalhmann. There is a natural looking quality about your work.

JMR

Rob C

« Reply #1007 on: June 19, 2012, 01:19:09 pm »

A couple of weeks ago on a dullish afternoon.

Non-af Nikkor 2.8/135mm at something around f4 or so - I think.

On the principle of publish and be damned - here we go.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:34:07 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1008 on: June 19, 2012, 05:51:18 pm »

Excellent example that you can't keep good old stuff down.

Rob C

« Reply #1009 on: June 20, 2012, 02:48:44 am »

Hi Walter

Just checked the file details:

ISO 400; 2.8 @ 1/640th sec.

I thought I'd opened up a tad in the hope of catching some depth around the instrument... this eye problem is a bugger, though: catch focus at once or it just drifts off into uncertainty. Not at all conducive to long-term watching through the viewfinder!

Rob C

P.S. Regarding the problems with vision: in this shot, what price one of those film-days split-image rangfinders! Used on that sax, the focus solution in a single step! Wish the D700 could take one...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 04:20:06 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #1010 on: June 20, 2012, 05:01:55 am »

Rob,

I must confess to never having been able to get along with focussing aids - split focus or microprism.  Just a good old ground glass for me with the occasional addition of a fresnel.

It must be a real bugger for you.

W

Rob C

« Reply #1011 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:51 am »

Rob,

I must confess to never having been able to get along with focussing aids - split focus or microprism.  Just a good old ground glass for me with the occasional addition of a fresnel.

It must be a real bugger for you.

W

The split-image was the only device that worked for me; I sort of remember the Exakta having that without a microprism around it, and I also think my Nikon F was without microprism surround. The microprism just seemed to be so intrusive. I had a plain screen on both 'blads and only bought a screen with a wedge on it towards the end, just before my middle-age crisis struck and I traded all that stuff... idiot that I was! Beware the male menopause, it's out to get you! Whoever you are.

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #1012 on: June 24, 2012, 11:31:44 am »

The split-image was the only device that worked for me; I sort of remember the Exakta having that without a microprism around it, and I also think my Nikon F was without microprism surround. The microprism just seemed to be so intrusive. I had a plain screen on both 'blads and only bought a screen with a wedge on it towards the end, just before my middle-age crisis struck and I traded all that stuff... idiot that I was! Beware the male menopause, it's out to get you! Whoever you are.

Rob C

I miss having a split-image in my viewfinder. It was the best aid for manual focus ever invented.

Rob C

« Reply #1013 on: June 24, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »

I miss having a split-image in my viewfinder. It was the best aid for manual focus ever invented.

Just as long as half didn't go black!

I wonder if it's possible to have a D700's screen changed to one with such a screen? It would be worth a hell of a lot to me now, with poor vision; I did some shots on Friday night at the opening of a new sculpture show at the little gallery that's come to life here, and though it's the traditional white rooms, good light, that's not the problem at all - the problem is my own failure to hold focus for any longish period. I can see the subject perfectly well, it isn't that; what it is is that unless I get it sharp almost at once, then I just hunt this side and that like a rotten af system probably does. I say probably because I never use one.

Rob C

popnfresh

« Reply #1014 on: June 24, 2012, 12:28:00 pm »

I wonder if it's possible to have a D700's screen changed to one with such a screen?

Alternate screens for the D700 are available.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Nikon-D700-Focusing-Screen--prod_D700.html

http://brightscreen.com/styles2.html

Rob C

« Reply #1015 on: June 24, 2012, 01:05:09 pm »

Thanks, Pop - the Katyzeye solution looks as if it could be the answer except that I couldn't do the job myself anymore. The eyes, the eyes...!

But that's food for thought, and maybe I can find a company in Spain that would be willing to do the conversion. Or a watchmaker! Must follow that up!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1016 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:41 am »

During the 50s there used to be ads for Ford when their catchline was: There's a Ford in your Future.

Well, I've had six of them so far - one in Britain and five out here, but the real one seems to be ever out of reach! I suppose this iteration might come close, but it's equally distant. I do wish I could find a really excellent little camera to replace this pesky mobile, though... but nothing seems to be designed for me.

Inevitably, both the Mustang and the M9 will come with the same lottery win, solving both little problems in one fell swoop!

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:34:27 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #1017 on: June 25, 2012, 01:29:11 pm »

I realised that the Mustang fantasy is a fake: it's just a way of hiding my real appetites!

The second car from this afternoon's walk:

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:34:49 pm by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #1018 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:20 pm »

I realised that the Mustang fantasy is a fake: it's just a way of hiding my real appetites!

The second car from this afternoon's walk:

Rob C

Mine too, Rob, mine too. That's perhaps the only car I really want (well, I might tolerate an Aston).

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1019 on: June 25, 2012, 05:27:37 pm »

Rob,

Don't forget that if you want to win the lotteery, you have to buy a ticket!

I keep waiting for someone to buy a ticket for me. Hasn't happened yet. But I did drive a Ford ("Fusion") rental car on Vancouver Island recently, and it was a very nice ride, though nowhere near as glamorous as the two favorite rides of my much younger years: a BMW (motorcycle -- the smallest one they made), and a bit later a Porsche (with the "Carrera" name on the back).

Now my 12-year-old Camry suits me just fine, as does my wife's 13-year-old Camry. One feature they both have that is quite nice for those of us in our early dotage is that the headlights turn on and off automatically when appropriate without my having to remember to flip a switch. That was one feature I missed in the Ford Fusion the first time I drove it after dark. When the headlights didn't come on by themselves, I had to pull over and wade through the 200-page manual looking for how to turn them on.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 75   Go Up