Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477926 times)

WalterEG

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #900 on: May 04, 2012, 08:35:41 pm »

Thanks Ken,

Of what material is the statue cast?  By the lack of rust I guess it was not cast in the namesake of "Pig-Iron Bob".

As a young newscameraman I filmed the very last press conference of Menzies in Sydney.  My, how time has flown and how times have changed.  No entry to the press conference unless the media representatives were wearing a suit.

Cheers,

Walter

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #901 on: May 04, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »

Of what material is the statue cast...As a young newscameraman I filmed the very last press conference of Menzies in Sydney...No entry to the press conference unless the media representatives were wearing a suit.
Hi Walter
According to the sculptor's web site he models with clay and casts in bronze, so his work will look better with time.
Amazing to hear you were at Ming's last press conference. I imagine you were at some other famous occasions too.
Do "media representatives" even own suits these days? I guess the on-camera talent does, but most photographers and cameramen I see seem to go for a much more relaxed look.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 09:20:34 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

WalterEG

« Reply #902 on: May 05, 2012, 03:42:11 pm »

Do "media representatives" even own suits these days? I guess the on-camera talent does, but most photographers and cameramen I see seem to go for a much more relaxed look.

Ken,

It is a very different world.  Back in the 60s we had to have a suit at hand in case we had to cover a Lady Mayoress's luncheon plus carry a set of green overalls in case we had to cover something grubby like a bushfire to keep the suit clean.  The overalls were provided the suit was not.

Thanks for the info about the sculpture.  Next time I am down I'll make a point of having a look ..... unless, of course, I get distracted by Lake George being full of water up to the road.

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #903 on: May 10, 2012, 01:59:43 pm »

As a change from churches and clapboard buildings in general, I thought you'd be thrilled speechless to see this shot captured after lunch. It's a long way from Andorra to Puerto Pollensa, but with a white Bentley you can actuall fly here. Well, you can fly, but the Bentley will probably still have to catch the ferry or be choppered onto your yacht and make the crossing that way. But Bentley, under German ownership now, is working on it... watch this space or, better, Car magazine.

Rob C

http://youtu.be/4KAE1LaoT0o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:59:57 am by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #904 on: May 10, 2012, 07:53:49 pm »

Now if they'd just put some decent tailfins and bumpers on that Bentley, they almost have a Real Car! Right, Rob?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #905 on: May 11, 2012, 04:00:29 am »

Now if they'd just put some decent tailfins and bumpers on that Bentley, they almost have a Real Car! Right, Rob?

It's just a young Bentley, Eric; give it time. Fins: maybe that's what Bentley Germany is working on now!

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #906 on: May 11, 2012, 04:03:52 am »

Given the price of these puppies, they had better make them fly someday soon...

(Specially for Rob, some vertigo-inducing straightening going on in this shot.)

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #907 on: May 11, 2012, 10:04:49 am »

Given the price of these puppies, they had better make them fly someday soon...

(Specially for Rob, some vertigo-inducing straightening going on in this shot.)

Beautiful cars, with a single, fatal flaw: so damned difficult to distinguish between the SL and the SLK, especially in silver! Imagine having bought the larger version and having the neighbours think it the other… better investment is the Rolex, as we’ve decided a while back; you can even take it to bed with you but, I suppose, you might just have problems trying that with the merry Merc. My sister-in-law has a silver SLK with the AMG bits…  ;-(

The white(ish) Bentley I shot the other day was not far away from an SL6.5AMG in white with ugly black inserts all over the place. It looked terrible to me: cheap as dirt and with the charm of home-made. Didn't even feel obliged/inclined to cellpix it!

In the league of expensive cars, I thing Porsche has it about right with the Cayman. Not too big, very pretty and not inclined to attract hatred (at any rate, not mine). I wouldn’t dream of owning a Ferrari, Lambo, Massy, Aston M. or any of those things. I would like a GT version of the Mustang, though; our resident car snapper Haef. had a shot here of one in a very appealing red paint-job a while back – Sheeley or something like that? Looked practical as well as good. Nice.

Until then, I’ll keep playing with the Fiesta in the comfortable illusion that it is, at least, a junior member of the same family… with the bits and pieces I’m slowly sticking on it, it’ll soon weigh about as much! Power to weight ratio? What’s that?

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 10:06:31 am by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #908 on: May 11, 2012, 12:24:45 pm »

Beautiful cars, with a single, fatal flaw: so damned difficult to distinguish between the SL and the SLK, especially in silver! Imagine having bought the larger version and having the neighbours think it the other… better investment is the Rolex, as we’ve decided a while back; you can even take it to bed with you but, I suppose, you might just have problems trying that with the merry Merc. My sister-in-law has a silver SLK with the AMG bits…  ;-(

Ah, so true. Especially because they eventually put the same V8 engine in the SLK as well, which defies sensibility if you're talking power-to-weight ratio. Actually it is the torque that makes the engine sublime, but verging on overpowering the large car, let alone the smaller one.

On the other hand, while you can't take it -to- bed, you can use it -as- a bed, and that might just come in that bit more handy on occasion.

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #909 on: May 11, 2012, 01:58:43 pm »

Ah, so true. Especially because they eventually put the same V8 engine in the SLK as well, which defies sensibility if you're talking power-to-weight ratio. Actually it is the torque that makes the engine sublime, but verging on overpowering the large car, let alone the smaller one.

On the other hand, while you can't take it -to- bed, you can use it -as- a bed, and that might just come in that bit more handy on occasion.

Have you tried it? I used to turn over my sailing friend's 500SL for him when he would vanish off to the UK or wherever he would vanish to, and there wasn't much room inside the thing at all, not even in the trunk/boot. (The lower dashboard area was a nightmare of tiny switches, most of which I'm sure he never sussed out himself.) I'm speaking about the model they made about ten years ago - perhaps they have discovered the concept of passion-waggon in Germany now... oooh that Claudia!

;-)

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #910 on: May 11, 2012, 06:57:40 pm »

A Passion-wagon from Germany?? From the country that gave us krautrock??

Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #911 on: May 12, 2012, 05:22:46 am »

A Passion-wagon from Germany?? From the country that gave us krautrock??

As an old reative used to say: stranger things have happened! However, it does sort of illustrate what I suggested, that sex in an SL isn't a good idea.

However, on the up-side, so to speak, in another thread nearby they will soon be advocatiing the advisabilty (or otherwise) of sex in a train or even in a clapboard building. Anything related with clap must be an instant turn-off, I'd have imagined, but different strokes for different folks, the D800 or D800e of it, ¡f you like? (But even as I write, those people at Leica have come in with a spoiler, their own varation on the theme: MMmmm... as Michael might say.)

Sex (simulated or sublime) in a submarine might work: Ray would be there to record the moment on his modified D700.

Rob C

P.S. Sheesh! We get some weird folks on this forum!

Dahlmann

« Reply #912 on: May 12, 2012, 09:04:40 am »

degrub

« Reply #913 on: May 13, 2012, 01:50:16 pm »

"I would like a GT version of the Mustang, though; our resident car snapper Haef. had a shot here of one in a very appealing red paint-job a while back – Sheeley or something like that? Looked practical as well as good. Nice."

Rob -

'tis a sad day
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10805550&ref=rss

Frank

Rob C

« Reply #914 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:16 am »

"I would like a GT version of the Mustang, though; our resident car snapper Haef. had a shot here of one in a very appealing red paint-job a while back – Sheeley or something like that? Looked practical as well as good. Nice."

Rob -

'tis a sad day
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10805550&ref=rss

Frank

Thanks for the link - didn't know he'd pased away. Neither did I know we shared a taste for nitro pills! I have to keep two in my wallet just-in-case, as the saying goes. The drill is this: if heart pains come, place one under the tongue and sit down, wait to see if it passes within fifteen minutes (another good reason to own a Submariner!) and, if not, put the second one under the tongue and get your ass to hospital as quickly as you can. I guess a Cobra would be a help in that respect...

Whilst I was having my first stent installed, I felt a bit faint and the medic instantly fed a dose of nitroglycerine into my system. I remember asking him if there was an explosion risk – he replied no, not unless you suddenly decide to have a cigarette… never thought I’d star in a civilian version of M.A.S.H.!

I quite liked that surgeon; unlike the second one, who had no sympathy at all with my shivering from cold. Seems that theatres have to be cold for hygienic reasons – or so I was told at the time. Sure makes it difficult to lie motionless. Best avoided if you possibly can.

;-(

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #915 on: May 14, 2012, 05:52:23 am »

'tis a sad day

Spend 80 years on earth with such a track-record and a fulfilled life with children and grandchildren, even after transplants and death-defying heart attack hobbies, I would say this is not a sad day. This, instead, is a celebration of life.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #916 on: May 14, 2012, 05:55:52 am »

never thought I’d star in a civilian version of M.A.S.H.!

D*mn Rob, if you know that series, your age is showing...

I quite liked that surgeon; unlike the second one, who had no sympathy at all with my shivering from cold. Seems that theatres have to be cold for hygienic reasons – or so I was told at the time. Sure makes it difficult to lie motionless. Best avoided if you possibly can.

That's why it's best to go for the full sedated state. Just tell them you're afraid of operating rooms or something. Heck, full sedation is the best way to experience life in general these days.
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #917 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:26 am »

D*mn Rob, if you know that series, your age is showing...

That's why it's best to go for the full sedated state. Just tell them you're afraid of operating rooms or something. Heck, full sedation is the best way to experience life in general these days.

Can't be done, as far as I'm aware: they require your co-operation during the procedure. There is no sensation whatsoever (of pain) and all I felt was the cold. Both times they went in via the right wrist - others seem to have it done via the groin... don't know if that's telling me something or not.

Regarding full sedation for life in general - you have a point!

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #918 on: May 14, 2012, 10:52:13 am »

.... Heck, full sedation is the best way to experience life in general these days.

I am starting to like this guy ;)

Rob C

« Reply #919 on: May 14, 2012, 01:39:24 pm »

I am starting to like this guy ;)

I don't think he meant what I think you thought he means. Were I younger, I'm sure I might hold a different opinion on that, though.

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 75   Go Up