Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477904 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #700 on: January 30, 2012, 11:21:23 pm »

... Who wants sustainable meetings?...

Don't know about meetings, but certain threads seem self-sustainable, e.g., about perspective and $2,000 power cables ;) :D ;D

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #701 on: January 30, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »

Don't know about meetings, but certain threads seem self-sustainable, e.g., about perspective and $2,000 power cables ;) :D ;D
+1000!    ::)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #702 on: January 31, 2012, 01:34:54 am »

Just piss in the pool, good chance Michael will close them

By the way, this thread is certainly worth sustaining
pieter, aka pegelli

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #703 on: January 31, 2012, 09:52:20 am »

By the way, this thread is certainly worth sustaining
Absolutely. It's one of the few that I check every time I visit.

No pissing in this pool!

Eric

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #704 on: February 01, 2012, 03:15:47 am »

No pissing in this pool!

Eric

Keep the thread about subjective and arguable opinions, and we will be safe; try introduce some facts and science, and the swords will be drawn... mind-blowing.

Rob C

« Reply #705 on: February 01, 2012, 05:33:33 am »

No pissing in this pool!

Eric

Yes, but still safer to test the pH each time you dip a toe, Eric!

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #706 on: February 01, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »

Rob C
Aw shucks. Just dive in and see if it hurts.   ;)

Eric

Rob C

« Reply #707 on: February 01, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »

Aw shucks. Just dive in and see if it hurts.   ;)

Eric

Wasn't that a movie, Reckless?

Could be a seriously brave senior moment instead. Anyway, just in case you see me somewhere, stop and say hello! This should make it easy.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:13:09 am by Rob C »

michswiss

« Reply #708 on: February 01, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »

Related to you?

Rob C

« Reply #709 on: February 01, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »

Not that I know - but as Chuck said, you never can tell!

Rob C

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #710 on: February 03, 2012, 04:49:04 am »

Rob C

And if you are in Africa, also check for crocs while you are at it. I read in yesterday's paper of a man in town finding one in his backyard. 

Rob C

« Reply #711 on: February 03, 2012, 09:32:34 am »

And if you are in Africa, also check for crocs while you are at it. I read in yesterday's paper of a man in town finding one in his backyard.  

That's one of the problems with tourists: they don't know where to draw the line between Kodak Viewing Points and private property!

Rob C

EDIT: will KVPs continue now?

Dahlmann

« Reply #712 on: February 04, 2012, 04:06:22 am »

Untitled by Daniel Dahlmann, on Flickr

/Danne

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #713 on: February 09, 2012, 01:19:59 am »

Hello folks.
I've been thinking about what I like to see in my photographs if I can manage it. I've discovered I like shooting into the sun. I like it if I've found a small element in the frame without which the image falls apart. And I like tackling wildlife as I might a studio portrait. I hope I've been making a start on this, so here's a shot from Andvord Bay and two from Half Moon Island, Sth. Shetland Islands (with chinstrap penguins).
Cheers, David

Rob C

« Reply #714 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:32 am »

Hi David

Two points:

a. I like the first shot most: amazing atmosphere;

b. you have just described my own credo/belief with what I find wrong with almost every landscape I have attempted: to me, mine are always nothing more than sets for a missing human model, a girl. In your case, it happens to be natural life, but in seeking that single element without which there wouldn't be a picture, you've illustrated what I suffer from when out with a camera and no humanoid with bumps.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #715 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:55 am »

... what I find wrong with almost every landscape I have attempted: to me, mine are always nothing more than sets for a missing human model, a girl...

You see Rob, you are not seeing the scene like a real landscape photographer... A real photographer, when watching a beautiful sunset on a beach, with equally beautiful girl, seductively posing in the foreground, all a real photographer can think of is: "Hmmm... F/8 and..."  ;)

P.S. Credit for the above belongs to a Canon's ad (from maybe a year or so ago)

WalterEG

« Reply #716 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:50 pm »

Different strokes for different folks ..... as usual.

I had half a lifetime of putting food on the table by placing excess walking protein (with bumps and sometimes thatch) in front of amazing scenic locations and I saw it as nothing more than bastardisation of topographical beauty.

It is very popular in the allegedly 'art nude' world to hide figures in rocks or have them skipping along pristine shorelines but I never ever see it work.  It does, and it has ..... sometimes ..... but sadly not at all often.

And if I see one more faux pensive unwrapped damsel through the broken window of a falling-to-pieces agrarian or ethnic structure I think I'll scream.

Invariably it is the same picture over and over with just a different face and bumps and (these days) optional thatch.

W

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #717 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:22 am »

b. you have just described my own credo/belief with what I find wrong with almost every landscape I have attempted: to me, mine are always nothing more than sets for a missing human model, a girl. In your case, it happens to be natural life, but in seeking that single element without which there wouldn't be a picture, you've illustrated what I suffer from when out with a camera and no humanoid with bumps.

Rob C
Hello Rob! I wondered if you would respond.  :)
Personally I have no objection to a humanoid with bumps in my photo, but the ones in bikinis are a bit hard to find that far south. And though there were some most attractive ones for the polar plunge event, cloning out the blue skin and goosebumps is beyond my Photoshop skills.
The thing that interests me in portraiture is the lighting and bringing out something of the inner life of the subject. With wildlife the lighting can be hard if you want natural light, but not impossible. And each wee creature has an inner life. Admittedly, penguins may not be the best example. For many of them there is not a lot going on up top, not being the brightest bunnies in their environment. But you take what you can get when out and about, so I have a lot of penguin photos now doing things that would make you blush.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #718 on: February 10, 2012, 01:51:18 am »

I could have sworn I had Rob in the car with me yesterday ( no I haven't lost my marbles, the two I have left are safe and sound) while enjoying a day out with a photographer mate of mine.

Harry was a portrait and nude photographer for as long as I am old but these days doesn't shoot anymore. Unavailability of models being the main problem. Anyway, we went for a drive outside of town to see if we can find anything to occupy ourselves with. We found a few derrelict farmhouses ( sorry Walter) and stopped at a few of them to look around. Harry mentions this could be a nice setting for a nude shoot. Further on we found a railyard full of disused and rusting carriages. Harry mentions this could be a nice setting for a nude shoot. Later we spent some time in a section of coastal forest ( huge ferns, big leaved trees, lots of shade and green) and Harry mentions that this could be a nice setting for a nude shoot..  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:20:25 am by Riaan van Wyk »

Rob C

« Reply #719 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:43 am »

Thank goodness it's not just me!

I think that, these days, I'd be happy to find a naked damsel almost anywhere except in my bed; the latter location wouldn't be producive to great photography because by the time I retire I'm freezing (it is winter here, after all) and as with the penguins, there's not a lot you can do when your undercarriage has retracted. That's a very good bit of natural defence, winter retraction, because otherwise the chances of total loss through frostbite would run very high. It's no coincidence that plumbers make most money in northern winters - everything shuts down, falls off or needs repairing, one way or the other. Even, I'm told, the plumbers. But that's just chit-chat I once overheard at a ladies' luncheon in town.

Of course, Walter's southern location probably accounts for a lot: blood rushing to the head instead of the toes.

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 75   Go Up