Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477883 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #380 on: March 01, 2011, 12:01:45 pm »

... Actually it's an allegory. The guy is aggressively intruding -- on unspoiled nature...

Ahh! I knew I should not try to out-critique you! ;)

Rob C

« Reply #381 on: March 01, 2011, 02:08:06 pm »

Ahh! I knew I should not try to out-critique you! ;)

Especially in a c-free section!

;-)

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #382 on: March 03, 2011, 01:29:31 am »

... Actually it's an allegory. The guy is aggressively intruding -- on unspoiled nature...

Russ, your explanation reminds me of a Caspar David Friedrich's 19th century painting "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog". The similarity is uncanny: wanderer, fog, blackness, "aggressively intruding -- on unspoiled nature". Even the sea is there, although figuratively only.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2011, 02:06:22 am »

Another intruder on unspoiled nature:

Allthough for me I take the guy with the umbrella any day over the noisy vehicles that make the tracks you see there

And spoiling nature can give nice graphics  ;):
pieter, aka pegelli

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »

Even the sea is there, although figuratively only.

Ah, yes, but the man understood mountains.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #385 on: March 05, 2011, 01:59:39 am »

This was made from 120 images (40 images x 3 exposures), combined in Autopano Pro, then processed twice in HDR Efex Pro, both times slightly differently.  The first time I wanted to highlight the textures in the clouds, and the second time I set the sky to be almost completely blurred out.  I took both completed image in Lightroom and combined them using the LR/Enfuse plugin.  Turned out pretty well, I thought.
Mike.

Yikes..I think if I tried this with the old laptop it would have coughed once and died..

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #386 on: March 05, 2011, 02:34:54 am »

Wel, I was secretly trying to make smoke come out of my computer but it didn't work.  This is probably a good thing...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

fredjeang

« Reply #387 on: March 06, 2011, 02:44:15 pm »

Fun in a water deposit with a mobile phone

Rob C

« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »

I'm sure you will end manually.
ps: I did not mean to put this little yellow face on my post, what I did was 3  ? to express the surprise, and 3"?" gives the yellow stuff...oh well, keyboard mysteries.

Yes, I used the 2.8/180 this time and only manual... I tend to be a single lens at a time photographer these days: makes me think about stretching what that one optic can do for me. I thought I'd be doing faces, but found myself more interested in close-ups of instruments and things like that. Hope some of the stuff is good enough to post later on.

Rob C 

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #389 on: March 06, 2011, 06:38:35 pm »

Fun in a water deposit with a mobile phone

Interesting... We're drawn to faces of course, and there's just enough lack of detail in the face to make one wonder what he's contemplating...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #390 on: March 06, 2011, 08:25:51 pm »

Interesting... We're drawn to faces of course, and there's just enough lack of detail in the face to make one wonder what he's contemplating...

Mike.
Indeed. Much more interesting than this face:    :)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #391 on: March 07, 2011, 01:10:20 am »

Hi all. Oooooh I've been tempted to post these two images in some recent threads. Better to be polite I suppose and put them here.  ;D
David

fredjeang

« Reply #392 on: March 07, 2011, 04:54:02 am »

Mike.
Yes, that is what interested me, not the face but the relation with an hidden object and its contemplation.
The light was extremely low and located as you see it, appart from the convertion, the mobile phone on that configuration produce horrible noise and lack of details. It's a primitive mobile, no isos settings, nothing.
But I sometimes use it because it just fits in my jeans pocket and produce a sort of Holga kind of pics.

The man is looking at a sculpture, installed in that water deposit. The only source of light was the leds from the sculpture that where constantly moving so the guy's face was lightened from time to time. You see a part of the sculpture on the bottom-right.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #393 on: March 07, 2011, 05:47:54 am »

Hi all. Oooooh I've been tempted to post these two images in some recent threads. Better to be polite I suppose and put them here.  ;D
David

I think one of the threads may be closed now and one member got banned, indeed maybe better you didn't post them there  ;)

Btw "Lies" is also a quite known female first name in the Dutch speaking countries (pronounced differently). Sofar I never made the connection  :o
pieter, aka pegelli

fredjeang

« Reply #394 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:57 am »

I think one of the threads may be closed now and one member got banned, indeed maybe better you didn't post them there  ;)

Btw "Lies" is also a quite known female first name in the Dutch speaking countries (pronounced differently). Sofar I never made the connection  :o
What happened? Have I missed something?

Rob C

« Reply #395 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

What happened? Have I missed something?

Guess I missed it too.

Earlier, I was rather happy about converting to b/w from those jazz files. However, I have found that the metal on saxophones is a killer for the process. I have one conversion where it looks like the guy is playing into a tube of milk. But, it looks fine in colour.

I never found those problems with film.

However, guitars look okay and so do drum kits. I think it has something to do with the bar lghts. I've shot chrome on motorbikes (in daylight) and it looks beautiful on digital.

JJJ, are you still with us? If so, love advice!

Puzzled, from Mallorca.

tokengirl

« Reply #396 on: March 07, 2011, 06:15:12 pm »

Earlier, I was rather happy about converting to b/w from those jazz files. However, I have found that the metal on saxophones is a killer for the process. I have one conversion where it looks like the guy is playing into a tube of milk. But, it looks fine in colour.

I never found those problems with film.

What software are you using to do the conversion?

Rob C

« Reply #397 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:45 am »

What software are you using to do the conversion?

Hi Toke

I start with taking the NEFs via a SanDisk card reader into Nikon's Capture NX2; fiddle a bit there with Exposure (sometimes a little Highlight Save too), and then take them out as Tiffs and into Photoshop (6) and there convert into photoshop files as soon as I can.

If I'm converting to b/w I do: Imagen > Ajustar > Mezclador de canales (which I assume is Channel Mixer). Being in Florida you'll know that already.

I think I'll see if I can find an example of exactly this problem with the sax metal and post it here, along with a correction that I did that went way in the other direction and looks as if it's printed on a separate piece of paper.

Rob C

EDIT: here's one with the odd metallic effect on the sax; have to admit, it's a very old one and in other shots yet to be processed it shows the vanished gloss, but I've had it on pristine instruments too.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:09:55 am by Rob C »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #398 on: March 08, 2011, 03:49:42 pm »

Hi Rob. Some things with digital can be quite different. I have a lot of trouble with snow.  I think your sax shots look fine but the lighting looks difficult. In the sax shot you posted it looks to me like the work needs to done before conversion to b&w, but someone else may have a better solution.
Have you tried using B&W conversion instead? In my version of Photoshop the third batch of adjustment layers go:
Vibrance/ Hue saturation/ Colour balance/ Black and white/ Photo filter/ Channel mixer.
The Black and White adjustment layer gives you a bit more control over tones than Channel Mixer I think. You may need to do a second conversion just for the metal, and then mask it off and brush in just the sax.
Another thing you could try is to create a Hue/Saturation layer UNDER the black and white conversion layer, maybe increase the saturation to give more tonal separation, and then grab the Hue slider and move it right across its range while carefully watching the part of the image that concerns you. Again you may need to do two conversions and blend together the bits you want.
Cheers, David
Edit: You could also look at the individual RGB channels before conversion to see if there is something useful
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 04:20:43 pm by David Sutton »

fredjeang

« Reply #399 on: March 08, 2011, 05:11:10 pm »

Rob, as David pointed, you also can use: ajustes > blanco y negro (or pressing at the same time the keyboard keys: alt+mayus+ctrl+b) and then try the numerous options in the pop-up panel. You can give a color tone at your b&w warmer or colder with the Matiz option enabled.

Plugins like Silver Effex Pro are really usefull for B&W.

Usefull link to see sax renders: http://www.google.es/images?um=1&hl=es&rls=com.microsoft%3Aes%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7ACPW_es___ES372&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=coltrane&btnG=Buscar&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:16:52 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 75   Go Up