Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477886 times)

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2011, 04:34:16 am »

We've had a lot of rain here lately...and consequently I have been taking some images from inside the car through wet windows. I think this one really captured the feel of part of our property.

Julie

Rob C

« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2011, 04:36:07 am »

I like this - a sort of moody/mysterious/seductive glance...

Yes, and she was only twenty-one.

Love of my life.

However, the short hair vanished just as surprisingly as it had come - a mad impulse for the wedding. Before, it was Veronica Lake and afterwards approaching Jean Shrimpton, thank God! And our daughter, who is invisibly in the shot though neither of us knew it at the time, also kept and keeps it very long. When she (daughter) got her driving licence at seventeen the two, mother and daughter, were indistinguishable when driving the car - the way you could tell was that the daughter played the music too loudly and the mother not at all.

Rob C

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:43:23 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2011, 04:52:32 am »

Rob, Nice picture from Scotland.

Crocodiles...I love them. When I was child I was dreaming to have a crocodile instead of a cat or a dog.  Might have lived in Egypt in another life.

I knew it! That's why you know too much about Cleopatra's love life and her attraction for those pesky Romans.

But, if you'd lived in Florida, it would have been the next best thing. It reminds me of Chuck Berry -much does - when he sang about swimming in Turtle Creek, all them snappers 'round his feet, sure was hard gettin' 'cross that thing, both hands holdin' his ding-a-ling-a-ling. Though that might have been the Delta. More G.O.Ds.

Rob C

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »

Downunder our sculpture is on the big side . The big banana, the big trout, the big Ned Kelly etc.

The worst one however must be…

Yes the Big Potato in Robertson home of Babe the cute little pig.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rob C

« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »

I did something different today. I went to a bar that was having a jazz group on - I know the Cuban sax player a bit - and I took the D700 along. I had decided this morning to try it out with fixed shutter and diaphragm and with auto ISO, something that ran very agin the grain as I hate giving up control of anything.

I discovered two things: you can't photograph music, only musicians and instruments; there may be something to autofocus after all.

No idea if anthing worked, but I'll have a look at it all tomorrow.

At least it didn't cost me anything, so maybe that's three things I discovered today. No, four: some women, after a certain age, no longer use mirrors; tight don't suit when it's too tight over too much or too little. It is not the new black. Even if most of it was.

Rob C

EDIT:  To my surprise, the jazz stuff doesn't look too bad at all - should have used a faster shutter and a smaller stop, but that auto ISO does seem to be a pretty reliable technique. I'm doing it all in b/white, of course, and the ability to make up for lousy location lighting (to remove a friggin' dart board, even!) is rather handy.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:49:32 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2011, 04:33:43 pm »

Having said which, for some reason or another I thought I'd post this one in its original colours -  more or less - everything kept changing so I've really no idea; the rest are being done in b/white which I think suits jazz much better. Apart from the fact that my HP does a nicer job in b/w than anything with reds...

For what it's worth: manual 1.8/50mm Nikkor at 125th or something like that, and f2.

Rob C

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:45:33 pm by Rob C »

tokengirl

« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2011, 05:01:19 pm »

We've had a lot of rain here lately...and consequently I have been taking some images from inside the car through wet windows. I think this one really captured the feel of part of our property.

Julie

I love it.  I also love taking pictures through the car windshield when it's raining.

tokengirl

« Reply #247 on: January 10, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »

Having said which, for some reason or another I thought I'd post this one in its original colours -  more or less - everything kept changing so I've really no idea; the rest are being done in b/white which I think suits jazz much better. Apart from the fact that my HP does a nicer job in b/w than anything with reds...

For what it's worth: manual 1.8/50mm Nikkor at 125th or something like that, and f2.

Rob C

Can't wait to see more of the series.

tokengirl

« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »

Well, I made a better portrait of my new friend.  This time I used a "real camera" instead of my iPhone.  ;D

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »

I love it.  I also love taking pictures through the car windshield when it's raining.

I love this one, too. It's a great response to Julie's series.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21:38 pm »

I love this one, too. It's a great response to Julie's series.

Eric

Me too!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #251 on: January 10, 2011, 10:53:04 pm »

Enough with the rain through the window! :) How about some snow through the window?

Rob C

« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2011, 04:44:48 am »

Slobodan, is that a sports bar?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2011, 04:50:20 am »

I love it.  I also love taking pictures through the car windshield when it's raining.

Toke, that window and rain is ART! What's it doing here embarrassing photographers?

Rob C

EDIT: I just realised the window is also steamed up! There's a story there you may want to tell us all about?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2011, 09:32:28 am »

Slobodan, is that a sports bar?

Every bar in the US is a sports bar (o.k., probably an exaggeration, but not too much) :)

The place was actually quite packed, especially the bar part, where the majority of sport screens are, but I found this quiet and empty spot, as it better matched my mood that evening and the quiet, snow-falling atmosphere outside, on deserted and quite cold streets of an art-gallery district. And coincidentally, earlier that evening I was at a photography exhibition opening at the Catherine Edelman Gallery, and stood for a while in front of two Michael Kenna's snow landscapes there. I love Kenna, though I never understood why on Earth would someone shoot Hasselblad and then print no larger than 8x8"!?

Rob C

« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2011, 01:21:49 pm »

Every bar in the US is a sports bar (o.k., probably an exaggeration, but not too much) :)

The place was actually quite packed, especially the bar part, where the majority of sport screens are, but I found this quiet and empty spot, as it better matched my mood that evening and the quiet, snow-falling atmosphere outside, on deserted and quite cold streets of an art-gallery district. And coincidentally, earlier that evening I was at a photography exhibition opening at the Catherine Edelman Gallery, and stood for a while in front of two Michael Kenna's snow landscapes there. I love Kenna, though I never understood why on Earth would someone shoot Hasselblad and then print no larger than 8x8"!?

Because he used to use 35mm and never quite believed how good it could be. At least, that's my guess. Maybe some collectors think the prints are contacts of some sort?

Yes, I like his work quite a lot too; he had a thing he shot based on an old lace factory in France, I think it was, that I enjoyed very much. But then, how many long exposures can anyone take and stay ahead of the mythical curve before they all become part of the same blurry continuum?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »

Can't wait to see more of the series.

Toke - framed to suit the shape of your new love. Nik goes Hass.

More or less the next shot on the roll (roll?).

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:43:51 pm by Rob C »

fredjeang

« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »

Toke - framed to suit the shape of your new love. Nik goes Hass.

More or less the next shot on the roll (roll?).

Rob C
Very nice! like the blured keyboard guy and the direction look of the sax player that really work with the composition.
Well done Rob.

fredjeang

« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »

Enough with the rain through the window! :) How about some snow through the window?

Like very much the tones of that picture Slobodan.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:18:19 am by fredjeang »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:18 pm »

Very nice! like the blured keyboard guy and the direction look of the sax player that really work with the composition.
Well done Rob.
I agree with Fred. One of your best, IMHO.

But did you get Russ's permission to crop it?  :D

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 75   Go Up