Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice  (Read 477945 times)

fredjeang

Re: Without Prejudice
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2010, 10:40:26 am »

Observation or self-delusion?

On seeing the above posted shot of the little church in Cyprus, here in LuLa, I got the immediate impression that it was darker than the original same size psd. ultimately derived from the original scan, when it's seen on the same monitor, but via the other computer that only does pictures and isn't 'net connected. They share the monitor via a splitter and I have tried switching rapidly from the one to the other at the same size and I feel I can spot the differences each time.

Does this imply that the same, calibrated monitor, is also affected by the difference in graphic cards within different computers, and/or that jpegs made at 72 and at max. quality setting also fail in some important respects, even at such small sizes? Maybe the question should be: calibration, does it change the monitor screen itself or the graphic card, in which case, should I try to calibrate using both computers, or would that just eff the whole thing up for both computers?

If that's so, there seems grim hope for web photography presentation... I still feel it's my fault somewhere along the line, but don't know where.

Rob C
Hi Rob, your image is perfectly profiled for the web as it is in sRGB.

Calibrated monitor is only for you to work. Then, once in the web, there are browser that take the profiles like Firefox and others that do not like Internet explorer. Then, the viewer would also have to have a profiled monitor to see exactly the same results. And then a wide gamut monitor etc...In short, this is important if you work with other mediums like your printer for example. Once you send any image on the web it escapes to your control.

In Photoshop, your PSD might be setted to a different profile that could be Adobe RGB for ex. You need to simulate the convertions in order to have a clear view (a preview) of the results. For example, Pro Photo is a wider space and converted to the reduced srgb you might find some surprises. Or if you work with quadrichromy it is particularly important.

This task can be done from the top menu in VIEW / PROOF SETUPS and choose CUSTOM. then you need to elect a profile and then simulate with the action Control+Y then desimulate with the same action.
You will see the info switch where the image's title is. Control+Y, it will get the profile elected, another Control+y it will be back to the original.

Make sure first your original is first in RGB color space from top menu: IMAGE / MODE, then try what I explained above.

Also, this is not very fortunate to directly work final images from a PSD file. This is due to the particular structure of Photoshop and would be too long to explain here, just keep in mind that once you have multi-layers, you need to get a 1 layer tiff as a master, specially if you are using complex guides division, it is absolutly important to get a flatten non destructed image first at the end of the process. (don't ask for more explainations because it would be a torture for me to explain the all issues involved in english, but for the curious there is extensive material on line), just keep in mind to have one tiff from any psd.
This image will have to be converted to the correct bit/chanel that you also find in IMAGE / MODE, in your case for the web it has to be a 8 bits.

Good luck.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:08:57 pm by fredjeang »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2010, 12:06:17 pm »

Rob,

I wish you would post some of your "family f-stop" series. The image of your wife in front of the white church I find very compelling, even though her face is almost invisible.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

Rob,

I wish you would post some of your "family f-stop" series. The image of your wife in front of the white church I find very compelling, even though her face is almost invisible.

Eric

Hi Eric

I think I still have a couple of my daughter, standing against the paper roll in the second studio (alongside the house) which I had built after having let the first one go when studio work fell away... obviously, it came back, proving yet again, Sod's Law. Or possibly the Law of Diminishing Returns, as only about eight years later we left the country, just like Elvis his building.

But I couldn't post them; she's a mother and teacher now, and wouldn't appreciate being a world star in her little girl red dressing gown!

Fred

Madre de Dios, you've lost me! You know how long it took me to learn how to follow the Weebly instructions! But I certainly never knew that it was better to go to jpegs from Tif files. The only time I use them (Tif) is going from Nikon Capture into Photoshop. It's my idea, based on absolutely nothing (like so many of my best ideas), that Photoshop would work best with its own psd files...

I wonder why some people seem to take to all that stuff like ducks to water, and others, like me, panic into freeze mode?

Another strange one tonight. It's been so cold, and the wood seems to be putting out no heat whatsoever, so I remembered the little notebook my family gave me, and connected it up via long wires from the office to the sitting room and took up the couch potato posture and found all sorts of Youtube rock'n'roll that's nothing like the stuff on the other computer's Favourites. Anyway, the odd thing was that I couldn't log in to LuLa. I raised it and could read, but it just wouldn't take my identity checks, which is okay, but the odd thing concerns the pic of my wife and that little church: it wasn't to be found in my post. The other shots in the thread are there, but mine, no. Strange - but I already told you about the two black films at Aphrodite's Bithplace. Cyprus - unsettling vibes. But it is there on this normal computer.

The snow was down to about 600 metres today. No wonder it's cold. Global warmning, obviously. I understand the reason: the melting ice is creeping southwards. That's another good idea of mine, as good as all the rest, I guess. Ha, guess!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2010, 04:23:39 am »

Thank you, Fred; I have copied this out and put it into the computer in preparation to printing it!

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #204 on: December 16, 2010, 11:49:53 am »

Thank you, Fred; I have copied this out and put it into the computer in preparation to printing it!

Rob C
Be sure to print it in Prophoto.   ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #205 on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:29 pm »

I can see that I shall have to do something to ground this conversation...

Rob C

tokengirl

« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2010, 08:07:05 am »

Be sure to print it in Prophoto.   ;)

Eric

LOL!  :D

tokengirl

« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2010, 08:13:15 am »

While we were out fishing last weekend, we stopped at a sandbar at low tide so that I could use up the last of the Kodachrome.  My Better Half had custody of the G10 - that little camera does perform admirably when set in Full Idiot mode.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »

Waiting to launch.

Rob C

« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2010, 04:40:46 pm »

While we were out fishing last weekend, we stopped at a sandbar at low tide so that I could use up the last of the Kodachrome.  My Better Half had custody of the G10 - that little camera does perform admirably when set in Full Idiot mode.

Hey, Full Idiot did pretty well!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »

Lost for anything to do tonight (tonite), other than Pshop, that I can't face again right now, I watched, for the seventh time (at least) an ancient DVD on St Ansel. I was comforted to learn (yet again - I forget easily) that he was pretty cash-strapped until he was around seventy, which I found tremendously encouraging.

Yet, even there, it took somebody outwith photography to turn an archive into millions of bucks.

What is it with most of us people?

Rob C

tokengirl

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2010, 05:44:23 pm »

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2010, 07:54:30 am »

Others seem to be enjoying warmth, here's what Amsterdam looked like last night - very rare to get this much snow, and it is still there which is highly unusual.

Taken in Old Town (Red Light District) in Amsterdam. The towers in the background are Sint-Nicolaaskerk. Canon 550D, Sigma 14mm @ 10 sec f/8 (5 exposures stacked for 50 sec total exposure time).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:56:31 am by feppe »

fredjeang

« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2010, 08:05:20 am »

Others seem to be enjoying warmth, here's what Amsterdam looked like last night - very rare to get this much snow, and it is still there which is highly unusual.

Taken in Old Town (Red Light District) in Amsterdam. The towers in the background are Sint-Nicolaaskerk. Canon 550D, Sigma 14mm @ 10 sec f/8 (5 exposures stacked for 50 sec total exposure time).
Very nice indeed. Love it!

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2010, 08:16:15 am »

The closest we get to snow here is the ice cubes we put in our drinks..I like your photo Harry. I can't even begin imagining how cold it must be to shoot in such conditions.

feppe

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2010, 08:29:33 am »

The closest we get to snow here is the ice cubes we put in our drinks..I like your photo Harry. I can't even begin imagining how cold it must be to shoot in such conditions.

Thanks Riaan and Fred!

I've always said winters are for editing (Bernard would probably disagree), but so much snow in Amsterdam is so unusual I couldn't pass on that opportunity. Might do some more shooting this afternoon with my E-PL1.

It's actually not that cold, last night was -1 Centigrade - still cold enough that operating a camera for long exposures without gloves becomes a bit awkward as you stop feeling your fingers :) Back in Finland where I'm from it can easily get to -20 and goes all the way below -30 a few times a winter, and you really don't want your fingers exposed.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2010, 10:19:13 am »

… Taken in Old Town (Red Light District) in Amsterdam...

Lovely atmosphere and post-processing (I am assuming the sepia tone comes from it, not some combination of long exposures and weird white balance?).

Btw, last time I tried shooting architecture across a canal, while standing in the Red Light District and my back turned to the windows, one of the hard(on) working girls walked out and threatened to throw me and my camera into the canal  :D

feppe

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2010, 11:37:21 am »

Lovely atmosphere and post-processing (I am assuming the sepia tone comes from it, not some combination of long exposures and weird white balance?).

Btw, last time I tried shooting architecture across a canal, while standing in the Red Light District and my back turned to the windows, one of the hard(on) working girls walked out and threatened to throw me and my camera into the canal  :D

Thanks! It's post-processing. The original color shot is quite monochromatic, and has strong, deep yellow tint due to yellow/orange street lights. White-balancing such color shots "properly" yields a very strange and unnatural results. Even if one wants to go natural-looking color, there are usually several light sources with varying colors, so going black-and-white is often the best option.

You have to be very careful waving a camera around in the District. The closest windows are about 50 meters behind where I shot and pointed. It's a bit more relaxed these days when everybody has cameras, but even then I won't take pictures of the windows to respect everybody's privacy - and you'll definitely get in trouble if you do.

Rob C

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:54 pm »

Two very nice shots!

The snow one in Amsterdam is very atmospheric indeed, and the glass shot reminds me of the mood in one I did recently, and showed here, with a bunch of keys sticking out of a filing cabinet. It was b/w too, which adds that je ne sais quoi that's so nice to see.

I'm rather fond of close-up stuff with differential focusing... I should try it more often.

Rob C

Edit: no idea who's experiencing warmth: here in Mallorca it's freezing cold, and the problem is made worse by the breeze block walls: heat goes out in winter and in in summer.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:41:10 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »

Thinking of warmth, and of how Mallorca should be, enclosed an early memory of my wife with one of her favourite species. It was a funny thing: I wouldn't go near the damn things, but she fed them all - never got bitten, despite a horses-owning friend telling her that they do indeed bite should they be feeling stroppy. Or just bored, which, apparently, they do become at times, which I find hardly surprising.

I never could read minds, not even that of a horse.

Rob C

Edit: hmmm, looks a bit reddish to me now. Oh well, doesn't really matter.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:37:04 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75   Go Up